A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper wedding favour bags with tags and beads. TUTORIAL  (Read 9298 times)
Tags for this thread: gift_wrap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2008 04:24:38 AM »

Hi all, I wanted to share these favour bags I made for my wedding. The original link with the other tutes is here. I am so thrilled at how they turned out and I think they look very professional! They are regular A4 computer paper printed with a Photoshop brush and glued into shape. The tags are also created in Photoshop and the 'love' beads are rolled paper beads with the word printed on. All tied up with a piece of varigated purple cotton crochet yarn they looked pretty good. I popped in 4 large choc coated cake balls wrapped in purple cellophane and they held up really well.

I had a few of these to make so I made myself a sturdy little cardboard box frame out of an old chocolate box. Mine is 9cm wide x 18 cm high x 5.5 cm deep and it makes a nice wide little rectangular bag.

Print up your page and lay it right side down and pop your box on top. Note the thin black line at the top of the box? That's to line up the top of the paper so all the bottoms are the same and the bags are the same height. Crease the edges well.

Run a line of glue down the right side of the paper. Or use a glue stick but remember the paper only overlaps a few millimetres.

Fold the paper over and press to adhere the glue. Then align the paper to the line at the top.

It takes a little while for white glue to dry but glue sticks are nearly immediate. I made a few up to this point, pulled it off the box and moved on to the next while the glue dried. It can be tricky getting the paper to slide back on the box though when the glue has dried.

Tip the box on it's end and fold in the bottome like you would wrap a gift. Crease the paper well and add a few dobs of glue in the corners.

Fold the flaps over and secure with a little tape. Remove from the box frame

Cinch the sides and you're done!

If you are making a few you might like to fold them up for easy storage. Lay the bag down and continue to fold the sides.

Keep the sides folded in and press the bottom towards the back of the bag so there is no crease on your nice printed front.

Ta DA!

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

And although the paper bags are obviously a universal design, please do not use my tutorial without my permission or copy my design style for profit. You know, crafty karma and all that Tongue

I bet these would make great gifts bags for Christmas gifts, and a nice way to present assenbly-line gifts too. Have fun!

Comments and questions welcome

Ckae ball instructions bottom of page 1
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008 04:19:36 PM by eternallyeve » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
-zoma-

finally a picture of me

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008 05:04:43 AM »

Wow, thanks for the tute, what a good idea! Not getting married anytime soon, but I can think of other uses for these - esp. with Halloween around the corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008 05:32:02 AM »

I love the paper bead idea! How did you make that so the printing came out on the right side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008 06:39:24 AM »

Thanks!

Darkladymajesta - The beads started as 2.5 cm x 7 cm rectangles with 'love' printed out at the very top of the rectangle (I arranged a bunch of them on an A4 page and then printed them and cut them out). I laid the rectangle down with 'love' facing the table and starting at the opposite end, I tightly wrapped the paper around a paper skewer, gluing as I wrapped. Then pull off the bead and allow the glue to dry. Easy as pie Cheesy.

Did that make sense?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
claire313

Make Tea, Not War!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008 10:53:38 AM »

what a fabulous idea!
Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008 12:22:25 PM »

awesome idea! they look really great and paper doesn't cost as much as other materials. thanks for the tutorial! i hardly ever get the chance to make things in bulk but i wish i did. care to share the cakes you put inside? i'm ever so curious..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008 04:06:43 PM »

Thanks!

These were totally free for me. And you can get a ream of office paper for like $5 so that's what, 250-500 pages? That's alot of bags! The little tags were on a light card that is a little pricey for a ream but I already had it. I bet they would look great with coloured paper or scrapbook paper too.

Avian flight - We totally made them up as we went! lol.

I made four box cake mixes, two vanilla and one chocolate (the super cheap no-name brand) according to the instructions and let them cool. We broke them up into crumbs by hand but a food processor would have been fantastic.

Then added about a cup of powdered (icing) sugar to each crumbled cake, a few tablespoons of cocoa to the choc ones and a teaspoon on vanilla to the vanilla ones.

To bind I added about a third of a cup of melted butter and drizzled milk in until the balls stayed together well when I squished them together.

Then grab a small handful of mix and squeeze in your hand until in forms a ball. Most of ours were on the big side, Cheesy. Pop them in the fridge for 10 minutes to harden a little and melt some chocolate. I got a 375g bag each of milk and white chocolate and that let us half-dip most of them with a few totally covered, so you may need quite a bit of chocolate to fully cover your cake balls. We dipped half the ball in chocolate and laid them down on a tray covered in baking paper and popped them in the fridge to set.

Then wrapped each in a square of cellophane, twisted the top and secured with a little clear tape cause the buggers wouldn't stay closed  Angry. They were really yummy and not too sweet like the recipes that call for a tin of premade frosting  Shocked, although the recipe using cream cheese might be nice. Mine were not super soft, just sift enough to hold shape and they tasted just like the original youumy cake mix. I was thinking they would be delicious with a banana cake or carrot cake with a little cream cheese added.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
darkladymajesta
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008 06:25:13 PM »

That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
witchytree
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008 12:35:37 AM »

This is incredibly cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't make me release the flying monkeys.
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008 06:12:37 PM »

That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks
No problem, I tried to keep the whole thing as simple as possible. White glue gives a sturdier bead but takes longer to dry.

This is incredibly cute.
thanks Cheesy I expect to be making many more of these for Christmas, they would be great for Halloween but Australia is not really into the spirit of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Afro Hair
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Create a Messy Knot
How to Be a Beautiful Redhead
How to Be a Brilliant Brunette
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...