A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chemo Care Package  (Read 4798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiemarie
« on: February 27, 2005 03:05:20 PM »

I started this topic because my boyfriend(of 5 years)'s mother just found out she has stage two breast cancer, and she will be going through chemotherapy in a few weeks.  He and I will be making a care package for her, and I was wondering if anyone out there who has gone through chemo, or known someone who has could give us some ideas about what to all include- both crafty items and non-crafty items.  I've already knitted a few caps, one made from a cotton/merino/cashmere blend, and another one that is an acrylic-cotton blend.  She is an extremely caring woman, and is always giving what she can to others, so we want to give her an awsome care package to brighten her days is what is going to be a tough time.  Thanks in advance to all who respond!
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TulipOhare
swiss miss

I'm a knitter, crocheter, and basic crafty wannabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005 09:37:42 PM »

slippers, sweaters, blankets, pillows.. i've been through chemo. it's hard work. anything that will keep this woman comfortable in her time of sickness.. not just comfortable but keeping her spirits lifted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vala_amaris
Vala Queen of TMI

I'm kinda nuts but really sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005 09:38:27 PM »

My Nana has cancer now and she said she's sick to her stomach a lot.  Maybe a variety of crackers to munch on (keeping the weight on is difficult and important for their health) and some ginger teas? (Ginger aids in subsiding nausea, just make sure the tea has natural ginger in it and not a "flavor.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005 09:50:44 PM »

embroidered pillow case, maybe a satin one.  it's always nice to have nice, clean pillowcases when you'll be in bed a lot.

one of my friends said that the best thing she got when she was going through chemo was a big floor pillow thing that she could sit/lay/lean on when she was sick and in the bathroom.

I wish her a lot of luck.  I really hope it all works out ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlett
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005 07:21:39 PM »

Maybe you could knit her some slippers and a shrug?

My dad got very dry skin when he went through chemo, so some gentle lotion and lip balm might be good for your care package.  (There are recipes for both on Craftster if you want to make them yourself.)

Also, funny movies or books to lift her spirits could be a good thing, too.  Or board games that you guys could play with her, if she's into that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005 07:23:59 PM by Scarlett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebug
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005 07:27:35 PM »

Maybe buy a nice pair of slippers and attach two bright silk flowers to the top?  I'm sure she'd appreciate something comfy and bright.

Also, if you find a nice terry cloth robe you could embroider her initials and a little flower or bird.

I hope she's doing well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

http://lemonsicle.blogspot.com/
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005 07:29:39 PM »

This makes me happy, that you are doing this, I recently sorta made one of these for my grandma who is going through cancer, there are some neato ideas on here that I didnt even consider..Maybe I'll send her another.

If she has any hobbies, crafty or not, that she could work on while in bed, you could buy her supplies for that. Some good books, um.....you could make her a cute sleeping eye mask, and a heat bag for aches, as she'll be in bed or on the floor alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005 07:36:41 PM »

What a great idea.  The ginger teas are definitely great, ginger hard candies could also be good.  When my mom was going through chemo she listened to tons and tons of books on tapes since reading is sort of hard, so I definitely recommend those.  Also maybe if you and your boyfriend make a little stuffed animal or something cuddly with your names on it that could be a comforting way to remind her that you are both always thinking about her.  I wish you all the best, I am sure she will really appreciate the package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com')
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005 07:37:46 PM »

What a great idea.  The ginger teas are definitely great, ginger hard candies could also be good.  When my mom was going through chemo she listened to tons and tons of books on tapes since reading is sort of hard, so I definitely recommend those. 
good thinking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
cassiemarie
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005 07:57:19 PM »

Hey everyone, thanks for the quick replies!  All of your ideas are super great!!  I am sure we will have an awesome care package ready for her in a few weeks here!!  Also, thank you for your concern of her well-being, i'll have to show her this post after we give her the care package Wink  She is doing fairly well as of now, she had surgery last tuesday, and was in a bit of pain this last week, but my boyfriend and I got to come home this last weekend and help out a little.  As for her hobbies, she loves reading, scrapbooking, crossword puzzles, ect ect..  The books on tape idea is a great one! Along with everything else suggested!
Thanks again for your replies and your concern!
love,
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...