A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with a gift idea for dad  (Read 1760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stacybee
« on: September 29, 2008 01:37:18 PM »

My dad's birthday was, well, about 20 days ago.  I suck.  I called him on his birthday and I sent him a card, and I told him that the next time he is in town (we live a few hours apart) I would take him to dinner.  My mom wanted me to get him a bug deflector for his truck, but I don't know... I'm just not feeling that gift.  The problem is that I haven't seen him since his birthday so I haven't been able to take him to dinner.  And now I'm hearing from my mom that he's a little hurt that I haven't gotten him anything yet.

So, basically I suck and I feel REALLY bad and I want to do something special for him to make up for the fact that I haven't done anything yet.  He really does like when I make him things - I made him a quilt out of his old work jeans and some fabric that reflects his interests.  He *loved* that. 

However... he's a hard one to nail down.  Like some of the other Craftster's dads on here, he's a redneck (Love him!!!  But he's a redneck).  He's very into NASCAR, Tony Stewart, craps and Jimmy Buffett.  He works on the railroad, so anything involving mousepads or trinkets for his desk or a tie wouldn't work.  Not even for home; he's completely computer illiterate.  Doesn't even e-mail. He's also trying to lose weight, so food gifts are out - in the past, I have made him fancy cheesecake and packaged it up nicely (it's his favorite).

I don't know what do!!  Help, Craftster Goddesses!!! 

EDIT:
Since he works on his railroad, he is in his truck a LOT.  Sometimes with nothing to do - sometimes they are just sitting there waiting for a load of something to come in, sometimes they are waiting for the weather to clear up so they can do whatever to the tracks, etc.  So I'm thinking about, "Dad's Amusement Kit" and I could include Sudoku and crosswords and stuff like that, because he's really into that stuff.

But what else could I throw in there??

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008 01:41:00 PM by stacybee - Reason: Had an idea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thepunkyduckling
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008 11:01:13 AM »

Good idea.  Maybe a CD/cassette if he has a player in his truck, pencils and a pencil sharpener for his puzzles.  Would be cute in a small toolbox, maybe?  Kinda manly, at least, and easy to keep track of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of.
- Geri Weitzman
Confidence in nonsense is a requirement for the creative process.
- Anonymous
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 11:33:14 AM »

I would reccommend just going to your local Dollar Tree (or Dollar General if you don't have a Dollar Tree) and getting lots and lots of puzzle books like you've mentioned.  Plus, there's really no telling what you will see there, as things always seem to change with every new visit.  I think it would be a really cool idea to ask your mom or some of your dad's friends about what he used to be interested in when he was younger.  I know from experience that anything I can give my dad that reminds him of being young always works.  I'm not sure if I helped at all, but good luck with everything!  Oh, and don't feel bad, I gave my dad his birthday present late, and I still live with my parents.  Definitely an opps on my part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
melthegiftgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009 07:41:16 PM »

You could take a small blank book and decorate it with nascar stickers or whatever you think he will like. Then go around to friends and family...even acquaintances and ask them to write in the book "What I respect about (your dad's name):" and then whatever each person wants to say.
---Mel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon and Maple Baked Beans
Healthy Chia and Buckwheat Cereal
How to Grill the Perfect Burger with Chef Jamie Purviance
The Difference Between BBQ And Grilling
How to Make Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...