A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Couture Swap?  (Read 2729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneredboot
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008 04:34:46 PM »

NiinaMaria, that's an interesting thought.  I respect your concern for matching skill levels.  One of my favorite things about Craftster is that it wecomes creative people from a variety of backgrounds.  My concern is that including questions about education levels might suggest that a self-trained or amateur designer, or simply an avid follower of fashion, couldn't create something lovely and professional--which I don't believe is true.

I'm planning on matching people according to several questions about style influences (as well as practical concerns like shipping preferences and allergies). 

What do other voices have to say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008 07:32:51 PM »

NiinaMaria, that's an interesting thought.  I respect your concern for matching skill levels.  One of my favorite things about Craftster is that it wecomes creative people from a variety of backgrounds.  My concern is that including questions about education levels might suggest that a self-trained or amateur designer, or simply an avid follower of fashion, couldn't create something lovely and professional--which I don't believe is true.

I'm planning on matching people according to several questions about style influences (as well as practical concerns like shipping preferences and allergies).

Well I agree but I think people can rate their own skills, like I would rate myself as an intermediate with some education
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
NiinaMaria

Crafter by accident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008 02:03:24 AM »

Well I agree but I think people can rate their own skills, like I would rate myself as an intermediate with some education

That sounds good. And was actually what I meant but once again my communication skills leaves a lot to be desired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008 08:43:06 PM »

I'm just delighted by the idea of this swap... though a bit lacking in confidence over my skills at creating a couture-worthy piece. (Though the many seasons of Project Runway - and Project Catwalk - could provide some inspiration in that department! [I actually like Catwalk better, even though the challenges aren't as fun, because the London fashion sense tends to the more extreme!]) But that's beside the point. I MAY end up just watching, depending.... (depending on what's going on in my life too!)

And my 2 cents: the "rate your own skills" seems a better alternative to the question about training, because I definitely think some self-trained seamstresses can be just as good as school-trained seamstresses! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmpixie
I need my hat, but not for my head...

Four's Treble

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008 09:03:20 PM »

This sounds awesome... I'm actually planning on going out for project runway in a couple of years... so this is perfect for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
BLOG

Couture
Bag with a plan
Wearables
Wall-E
myklia
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008 03:20:54 AM »

The best I would be able to do is a Giles Deacon inspired knit ( http://lupinbunny.blogspot.com/2007/09/get-your-knits-on-giles-deacon.html ).  That would be terribly expensive, even for just doing it myself.

I'll look forward to stalking the gallery when that happens.  I don't really have the skills to create anything worthy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008 06:59:02 AM »

Definitely an interesting idea and tempting to get me back into the sewing mode - but at the moment I really don't think I can commit the time to create something stunning enough. Cheesy
Will keep an eye on the outcomes though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008 09:53:59 AM »

I'm so glad so many of you are interested!  Keep in mind that this swap is all about being *inspired* by couture...I can tell you that I for one will not being making a couture gown!  Now, maybe a nice Prada-inspired envelope clutch, or a lovely knitted wrap...  This is all about using the skills we currently have--at whatever level we are!--to create things inspired by our favorite designers.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NiinaMaria

Crafter by accident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008 01:07:31 PM »

Are the sign-ups starting soon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008 01:19:58 PM »

Are the sign-ups starting soon?

Sure!  I'll post them in a few days--they'll be open through mid-January or so to accommodate holiday diversions... 

We're going to have a great group!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kim Kardashian Is Worst Dressed At 2012 MTV EMA Awards
Jennifer Lawrence Shows Off Bra At Movie Premiere
Fashion Trends... All About The Denim
Must Purchase Trend: Quilted Leather
2012 Victoria Secret Fashion Show Sneak Peak
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...