A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blogger vs. WordPress  (Read 1653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muddlepud
« on: September 28, 2008 07:37:58 PM »

First, I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum. I did a search and didn't find an answer quite as specific as I was hoping for, but feel free to point me in another direction if I just didn't search well enough. Smiley

Now to my question: Will those of you who have experience with Blogger and WordPress please give me your personal comparisons and opinions? I have used both in the past, and at the time I found Blogger annoying (slow and bulky) and loved WordPress, but I was hosting at my own domain. I'm looking at a free site now, and I'm not sure which I'd prefer. For example, I enjoy web design, so I think I would like the freedom that Blogger would give me to alter the design, but I like that WordPress allows static pages. Obviously I have pros and cons on both sides, so I thought I would see if anyone else has specific reasons for liking one over the other before I make a decision. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
rhianoran
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008 02:19:38 PM »

I'd go with Blogger because I design too and I hate the WP default theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BitsyCreations
The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake. Leonardo DaVinci

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008 04:07:08 PM »

I know everyone is different, but I had my blog on wordpress and actually just switched to Blogger.  MUCH happier!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008 04:40:23 PM »

I like blogger...I tried to set up my wordpress but I couldnt quite figure it out..I am a rather web saavy person so I just didnt like how sterile and uncreative it looked..

blogger has some new functions and you can add any html..

good luck deciding..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
pmtvoice
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 06:39:13 AM »

I had my personal blog on Blogger for a long time and started one at work there as well. I ended up switching to wordpress because I felt Blogger wasn't going to be a good long term solution. Blogger makes it very difficult to switch or even backup your blog, which I found discouraging and further made my decision for me to switch.

Wordpress does have a bit of a learning curve to it, but the rewards are more flexibility, greater control and a wider range of add-ons/plugins to use due to the larger userbase. I would be glad to help answer some questions or even help out a little, if only to get you on the right track with making that decision.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at http://pmtvoice.com
Design your own personalized ribbon at http://www.printmyribbon.com or custom labels at http://www.printmything.com
Muddlepud
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008 12:43:18 PM »

Thanks for your input, everyone. I think I ended up even more torn. My big reason for liking WordPress is the extended capabilities for someone who's a little more "advanced" and wants a little more. I much preferred their interface when I worked with both platforms in the past. BUT, the reason I like Blogger is that their free accounts still allow complete CSS customization, which I greatly prefer. I decided to start fiddling around with them both and see what I liked. I was thinking maybe I could find a WP template that I could live with, since I want to keep this project simple anyway, but I just couldn't. I love WP and prefer them in every other way, but I ended up going with Blogger simply because I could do more customizing with the design. Guess that's what I'll stick with for now and see how it goes. This isn't intended to be a "big deal" project anyway; I'd like to use it as an outlet but don't want to put as much time into it as I have in the past, so this might be the best way for me to go. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop
Blog
Flickr
mei
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008 03:28:30 AM »

Hi PencilNeck!

Did you say you're hosted at a free server? I'm not sure if I understand. Do you have your own domain, or were you asking about blogspot.com and wordpress.com?

As far as I know, Wordpress is wonderful! I've used both before, and feel that blogger can only go so far. With Wordpress (I have it as a content managing system on my site as well), I can make any layout I want and have Wordpress integrated into it.

You can check out how it looks like on my domain, which is completely powered by Wordpress.
http://tinyhandsonline.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Online store of handmade goodness: Tiny Hands Jewelry
Muddlepud
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008 05:38:27 PM »

Mei, several years ago I owned my own domain and server space, and I used both Blogger and WordPress with it. I greatly preferred WordPress for many reasons. However, I no longer have my own domain or web space and was just looking into the free blog accounts with both platforms. While I still prefer WordPress, their free option does not allow me to modify html and css, which is pretty important to me. Since I intend to keep this very simple anyway, I think I can live with Blogger for now. Thanks for your input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop
Blog
Flickr
Maeveone
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008 02:07:55 AM »

I'm curious about this too. With Blogger, you can just host it on the blogger site, right?
And there are other options for blogs... I have no clue. Which ones look nicest on default or ordinary templates? Also which ones require the least html knowledge? (but I can put in Project Wonderful ads.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.notebookinhand.com - Forum for Creative Types. Writers, artists, musicians, crafters, get together for support and chat.
travelturtle
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008 09:10:17 AM »

I know I'm a bit late, but thought I'd give my two sense. I have a wordpress account, but I also use a blogger account for some personal blogging. The usability of the sites, to me, isn't much different. However, when I read blogs and comment, I much prefer the wordpress and typepad set-up. Blogger allows people to customize their commenting and most of the time, it's annoying. You can't see the original post, when you click on the comment form, it opens a separate box, if you do click within the comment window to see the original post, you can't see the pictures. Also the comment form has a different look than the rest of the site. In wordpress and typepad, when you're commenting, it has the same look the rest of the site does.

Many blogs limit who can comment on their site, which means that I can't comment on their site without logging into my business gmail account... which I only set up for that reason. However, I don't like doing it because then I have to log back into my regular gmail account to access google reader. Now, I could comment using my personal gmail account, but that doesn't indicate anything about my "business" website, which is what I want to drive traffic to. It annoys me so much, that I sometimes won't even click on a blogger blog if I don't feel like dealing with it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shirley Jones on The Partridge Family
Shirley Jones Talks About Her Memoir
The Life of a Tudor-Era Chambermaid
Female Romance Novelists Embrace Writing About Gay Relationships
Gay Romance Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...