A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PAPERBACK POCKETBOOK - TUTORIAL AS PROMISED - LOTS OF PICS  (Read 26615 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , paperback , pocketbook  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 28, 2008 06:56:59 PM »

PLEASE NOTE: FEEL FREE TO MAKE THEM FOR YOURSELF, OR AS GIFTS, BUT PLEASE DO NOT PROFIT FROM THEM. KARMA, BABY!
I had made my first one for the recent Book Lover's Swap, and some of you asked for a tutorial, so here it is - new and improved! I actually made 4 of these today, tweaking the process on each revision (and deleting the pics on my camera each time!)
So here's what I feel is the best way to make these:

1. Find a paperback book with a cool cover (the Evil Daughter found a cheesy Fabio romance novel), and carefully tear the cover off, keeping it all in one piece.

2. Laminate the cover with a hot laminate (not cold!), and while it's still warm, fold the cover so it retains it's bookish shape. SAVE THE BOOK PART!

3. Trim the outside edge of the book about 1/3 inch, using edge of the printing to keep a straight line. It doesn't have to be perfect.

4. Lay the cover on some fabric, making the top and bottom edges wider than the cover by the width of the book. This will allow enough for seam allowance, and still keep the book shape.   (In the pic you will see I had made it a bit wider, but I ended up trimming it down later.) Leave an extra inch or so on the sides, you'll trim this later.

5. Fold the fabric in half, and cut it in half where the middle of the spine would be. Believe me, this makes it soooo much easier to work with!

6. Keeping right sides together, sew your zipper in. Topstitch so it lays flat (I hand sewed mine later, so do it now to make things easier.)

7. Sew sides together. It's okay if you don't sew all the way to the zipper. Slide the book in to check the fit. Not too loose - not too tight. (You can see here that I had to trim it a bit to get the proper fit.)

8. Remove the book, and folding the seam against the zipper, make a point at the top corner (think paper-airplane). Sew across to make the corner square. Turn right-side-out to check the corners.

9. Slide the book back in with the zipper closed, with the spine to the open end. Line up the seams and zipper and such, and make sure it's nice and snug. Trim the excess from the bottom, leaving enough to fold the ends over the edge of the book. Glue or sew shut, then fold the corners in and do the same.

10. Apply adhesive (I used E6000 on the first ones, but have a secret glue I use now - much stronger!) to the inside of the cover, keeping the glue inside the cover's edge so you don't see the glue through the laminate.

11. Place the pouch, book still zipped inside, into the cover and line it all up nice.

12. Place it into a vise, some clamps, or under another book to keep it's shape while it dries.

13. Unzip, carefully remove the book, bending the book as you need to remove it.

14. TA-DA!!! Now you have a nifty clutch to hold the essentials, or a really good hiding spot for tampons or whatever!

AGAIN - PLEASE NOTE: FEEL FREE TO MAKE THEM FOR YOURSELF, OR AS GIFTS, BUT PLEASE DO NOT PROFIT FROM THEM. KARMA, BABY!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008 07:53:39 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008 07:34:59 PM »

Wow! That is awesome looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
yossarian
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008 07:36:40 PM »

WOW, that is so cool!!  Shocked

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, I'm definatly going to try it out with one of my old books.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tragiqcandy
I'm your new philosophy

Runs with scissors. In the dark.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008 08:04:04 PM »

It's so generous of you to share this, what an awesome craft!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 07:26:51 AM »

This looks NEAT-O!

If you don't use E6000 (my current glue of choice for this sort of project), what DO you use, if it's not too, too terribly secret?

......And where do you get it? Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008 07:35:35 AM »

I've been using Sumo Glue (from Joanne's), but it's a pain in the butt to use because it expands, so you have to be real careful how close to the edges you get. Also, when you clamp it, it somtimes seeps through the fabric so you end up having to scrape paper off the inside of the pouch. I'm still looking for the 'perfect' adhesive for these. E6000 doesn't stick to the laminate like I want it to, but it's fine if you're not selling them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
anafelix
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008 07:19:50 PM »

I think this totally rocks and I'd love to try it but how do you get the pages of the book separated from the spine? Every time I try to pull the pages out it starts ripping the spine and then the cover is kinda useless for the pocketbook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008 09:42:46 AM »

I lay the book down flat on a hard surface, then holding the back cover down, I lift all the pages and carefully roll the spine away from the cover starting with the top, then the bottom, then the top again. When the spine is about half loose, I do the same with the front cover. It works best if the book hasn't been read to death, with the spine chewed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
jenobob
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013 03:15:00 PM »

Terrific! My mind is reeling...so many possibilities!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShayBug
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013 08:06:55 PM »

Great Idea! Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Up-Do for Curly Hair
How to Create an Up-Do Hair Style
Learn About Curling Irons
Learn About Flat Irons
Learn About Hair Coloring Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...