A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fair Isle in the round  (Read 2662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calfaile
« on: September 28, 2008 09:53:06 AM »

Hi!

I've seen a bunch of hats/gloves on here with a different color inset (i.e. the pirate skull hats).  How do you get that second color in there?  I know how to do fair isle/instartia  flat, but when you're doing it in the round, the yarn is on the wrong side to pick up.  Are they just knitted flat and then sewn up, duplicate knit, or do you actually have to knit backwards half the time?  I'd love to know how to do this as there are many hats calling my name. . .

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mantra: "I will finish my current projects before I start a new one"
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008 10:49:01 AM »

Fair isle or stranding is done in the round.  See helpful videos here. Smiley

Color work done flat is called intarsia.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calfaile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008 03:11:40 PM »

I thought the difference was that in fair isle, you carried the unused color while in intarsia, each colored section had its own yarn and you switched back and forth (i.e. no floats).  In either case, I still don't understand how you get the yarn of the first color back to the other side of the second color without a) carrying it all the way around, B) breaking and restarting the second colour each round, or C) having really long backwards floats over the second color.  Or is that just the reality?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008 05:00:43 PM »

I thought the difference was that in fair isle, you carried the unused color while in intarsia, each colored section had its own yarn and you switched back and forth (i.e. no floats). 

Correct.

In either case, I still don't understand how you get the yarn of the first color back to the other side of the second color without a) carrying it all the way around, B) breaking and restarting the second colour each round, or C) having really long backwards floats over the second color.  Or is that just the reality?

Fair Isle/stranded knitting in the round you just carry the color(s) the entire way around, that's why you normally see it used with a pattern that encircles the entire garment.

Intarsia in the round is accomplished by either working flat and seaming or doing some rather convoluted tricks that amount to seaming as you knit.

For instance, imagine you are knitting a square of red at the center front of a plain black hat. You'd knit to the start of the square, switch to red and knit the first row of the square, yarn over and purl back across (or knit backwards), switch back to black and continue purling around until you get to the stitch before the red YO. Then you'd p2tog, YO, turn and knit back around until you get back to the square, switch yarns and knit across the square until you have red stitch left, SSK, YO, turn.... When you get to the top of the square you just knit across in black, making sure to SSK in that last YO, and continue to knit in the round normally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calfaile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008 09:13:29 PM »

cool.  That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008 01:17:54 AM »

I'm posting this so you can see the inside of a fair isle baby hat I made ages ago.  You can see how the yarn is carried the whole way round.

I think most people carry one colour in each hand.  I used to have both colours in my right hand but the two strands got tangled so I'm trying to switch over to one in each hand.  Fair isle is actually surprisingly easy, you should give it a try.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

calfaile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008 08:21:09 AM »

Thanks!  But if the graphic's only on one side, is it practical to carry it all the way around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008 08:41:40 AM »

I'm a bit confused as to why you would want to!  Fair isle by its nature is a pattern that continues the whole way round, otherwise you would probably use intarsia. 

Is there a particular pattern you want to knit? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calfaile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008 03:34:25 PM »

I just like the look of a single graphic on one side of the hat.  Yeah, Intarsia's probably the way to go.  I just didn't know how to get the yarn back to the other side.  I'll try that purl back/ssK technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008 09:56:53 AM »

if you want to have a graphic only on one side of the hat, intarsia's not the way to go unless you're planning to knit flat and seam up.  Intaria in the round is tricky.

Look into duplicate stitching or swiss darning instead.  These techniques are done after the knitting with needle & yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Stewie from Family Guy
How to Draw Vector from the Despicable Me Movie
How to a Draw a Minion from the Despicable Me Movie
How to Draw Boa Hancock
How to Find Your Niche as an Artist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...