A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lighting that's not hung from the ceiling?  (Read 3068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JMLinWNY
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008 12:52:49 PM »

we made those... I watched on ebay for lanterns cheap  .... also got a few at PierOne  back in the beggining of summer
Pearlriver.com  has lanterns 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sometonguewithakiss
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008 10:25:01 PM »

To soften florescent lights you could drape a semi-sheer colored fabric from the ceiling. This not only soften the lights, but also tints them and can create a beautiful effect.

If you can't hang ANYTHING from the ceiling and walls, it's really simple and fun to create your own lighting. Christmas and led lights can be used to create a "light box." You can line the interior of a vase or a decorative planter with strings of either. Keep in mind that in order to optimize lighting it is best to paint the interior of solid "boxes" white, or you can simply line them with aluminum foil (this also helps protect the "box" from overheating).

Another option would be to build your own lamps out of just about anything. Some cute kits can be found at http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=1&cid=156&scid=226 and Lowes has a wonderful tutorial here http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=HomeDecor/MakeALamp. Build-a-lamp kits can also be found at many hardware and craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skuterrat
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008 11:35:20 AM »

We used fiber optic lamps and LED candles wrapped with paper to create bases and "holders" as our centerpieces.  These "white" lamps, as you can see, have a sort of blueish tinge to them in photos, and I know you can also buy the same type of lamp with colored lights as well (we wanted white because none of the colors we found matched our theme, but I definitely saw them in blue!).

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/ <- this website has TONS of DIY lighting ideas for receptions with all kinds of different lights!  We bought our lamps from them.  Killer shipping costs though, so you might be better off getting ideas from their site and buying elsewhere.

here's a photo of one of our tables (taken by our photographer, David Barnes)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008 11:37:38 AM by skuterrat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kneser
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008 06:30:05 AM »

I like the idea of christmas lights overhead:

http://scribbleking.typepad.com/scribble_king/images/big_fish.jpg

You could set up poles at regular intervals at the outskirts of the reception hall and string christmas lights between them.  I also like the chinese lanterns on a stick that someone posted earlier as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008 12:17:47 PM »

Last Saturday we attended a wedding whose reception must have had the same constraints, but they had (the caterer must have provided) some towers that were made of heavy duty wire (like tomato cage wire) that were about 8 ft high, and about 18 inches in diameter, and had a sheer fabric column inside it filled with tiny white Christmas type lights. Placed about 30 feet apart along the periphery of the room, they were a lovely accent for a large darkish room. The towers had a nice metal base and did not look homemade, nor did they look as if they would tip over very easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...