A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Tombstones- cheap and easy!  (Read 11239 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 27, 2008 08:06:45 PM »

I was looking at buying tombstones for my front yard and they were killer expensive for ones that were bigger than a shoe box and looked half way decent. I found this really neat website www.spookyblue.com and I realized that it would be super easy and cheap to make them myself. Basically we went to the old hardware store and picked up some foam board. We were looking for the pink or blue stuff but it was no where to be found so we got this stuff instead. It was only $5 a board and its 2" thick leaving plenty of room for rebar to stick it into the ground. We researched designs and epithaps and drew them on with a sharpie. Just take the protective film off first. Trust me on this...  Undecided

The hardest part of it all was picking out names! I had a chorus teacher in high school that I loathed so Mr. Fuller, this one is for you! *jazz hands*
Then grab some black and grey LATEX paint. Since this is going to be outside it needs to be water resistant. A pint did all three front and back for me. Cut out the shape and slather on the black nice and thick making sure to get into all the writing. I cut my writing out with a cheap-o engraver but a dremel would work just as good. Let it dry overnight then very lightly drag a brush of grey over the black. As long as you don't saturate the brush (I used a cheap foam brush) and don't get heavy handed it won't get into the grooves. Even if it does leak a bit I think it looks like a very old limestone tombstone that has seen one decade too many of acid rain. Here is what we have!

To stake them into the ground we have some 9" rebar that was only 65 cents a pop! We thought about using a water sprinkler stake but they were $1.50 each so since we were buying 6 of them we decided to go the cheaper route. It gets pretty windy here in the Wenatchee Valley so the rebar should hold up quite nicely. Happy Hauntings!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
ambermi

I'm on sewing overload!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 08:18:42 PM »

Cemetaries always creeped me out. And these are creeping me out... so yeah... it works!! Smiley
A little too real for me... but that's a good thing in this case!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support my store!! PLEASE?! I'm POOR!!! www.stacked.etsy.co m
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008 08:19:29 PM »

Great idea - thanks for the instructions, too!  I love the different shapes and styles you went with, too.  They're lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 08:27:56 PM »

Cemetaries always creeped me out. And these are creeping me out... so yeah... it works!! Smiley
A little too real for me... but that's a good thing in this case!!

Sweet! I'll take that as a compliment and run, lol Cheesy

Great idea - thanks for the instructions, too!  I love the different shapes and styles you went with, too.  They're lovely!

It was so fun researching different shapes and images and what they meant. When I was in high school I had a goth phase (okay, I never grew out of it all the way Wink) and my cousin gave me this book on southern tombstones and the one with the wilted lilly came out of that. There were some really neat looking ones with lambs. My husband says the one with the skull looks like the opening of "Mystery Theatre" on PBS that Edward Gorey did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008 09:18:44 PM »

Wow .... they are REALLY creepy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008 02:40:20 AM »

THEY LOOK SO GOOD!
i am gonna have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
birgitmaus
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008 06:15:13 AM »

I wanted to do a graveyard in my yard this year but was worried about the cost - this looks great, affordable and reusable!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlmomma
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008 01:41:13 PM »

AWSOME JOB! Thank you so much for the web site. I got tons of ideas for Halloween now.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
retroeva

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008 01:56:20 PM »

I wish I had more time! There is so much cool stuff in there. I get paid at the end of the month and I can't wait to go buy a fog machine and some more creepy cloth to hang from my porch ceiling. They have a super neat bubble fog machine I have my eyes on.... not to mention the faces in my jack o lanterns this year too Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waspnest
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008 01:25:08 AM »

Ah! My mom used to make these and reuse them every year, until they just fell apart from weathering and such. She had such good rhyming phrases and those ironic double-meaning names. I must admit, yours look more authentic though (hers were spray painted styrofoam all cut out in the traditional tombstone shape). Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the J Crew Model Glow
The Cure for Tired Eyes
Best Spring Lip Shades
Sofia Vergara to Release Fragrance
How to Prevent Nail Damage from Gel Manicures
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...