A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: S&BN "Candy Stripers" Bag Knitalong! (now w/pics)  (Read 6375 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebink
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005 02:06:15 PM »

herekitty, the bag is coming along well.  my parents are out of town & took the camera with them so i won't be able to post pictures until wed. 

but i'll post a.s.a.p. when they come back Smiley

right now i'm working on the long end of the strap (80 rows i think), somehow my herringbone stitch isn't quite right.  my rows are a little more diagonal instead of straight across - you know what i mean?  it's subtle so it's not too bad.

i made one more change.  the strap is supposed to be 8 stitches across but i thought it looked too skinny.  so i stopped decreasing early and my strap is now 10 wide. 

i'll keep you updated...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"oh my morning's coming back, the whole worlds waking up..." - bright eyes

teambink
scrunchy
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005 12:18:54 PM »

Mine's done! While I wish I hadn't promised it to a friend, I've already started on one for myself.

Aside from some very ... haphazard seaming on my part, I'm really happy with it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 10:04:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebink
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005 11:56:43 PM »

so cute!  what kind yarn did you use?  and did you follow the pattern word for word?

you should be very proud because it looks great!

(and I like the colors, by the way)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teambink
herekitty
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005 03:38:02 AM »

I've finished all the knitting and seaming.  Yay. 
But I'm having trouble with the felting Angry
I tried three times and it's not going well!  It's not shrinking at all, just getting a bit fuzzier. 
I used 100% wool and felted some swatches of the yarn before I started and they shrank and felted beautifully.  Any ideas?  I didn't use the recommended yarn, but as I said, I tested it for feltworthiness first!
Oh dear.
Here's the pre-felt finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrunchy
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005 11:30:37 AM »

thebink: Thank you!!

I used Lopi, which felted up nicely, but was so incredibly fuzzy that I took a disposable razor to the bag after it was dry (everyone in my apt. thought I was crazy, and for good reason: I was standing over the sink, cursing while shaving an accessory).

The only part of the pattern I changed was the striping. The person I made it for only wanted 2 colors, and I didn't like how the stripes in the book didn't really match up. So I used this Stripe Generator site to come up with a sequence I liked, and then I just did the gusset & strap with the "2 rows of each color" repeat pattern for the Laptop Bag (which made the counting of so many rows awesomely simple).

I actually finished the second bag (the one for me me me) yesterday, and it's sitting on my windowsill waiting to be given a zipper. Also, since I did it all in 1 color (Lamb's Pride bulky in M07 - Sable), I'm debating whether or not I want to needle felt something onto the side. Maybe a red or orange poppy. We'll see what strikes me when it's time to decide Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebink
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005 01:26:57 PM »

herekitty:   i'm so sorry to hear about your felting issues... that is really weird, seeing as that you had felted some swatches ahead of time.  (that kind of makes me nervous because I did the same thing.)  Have you had anymore luck since last post??? Maybe, and this is my only guess, that because the bag is much larger and bulkier than a swatch, it just takes more friction and washing to get it to felt.  Maybe you just need to keep going... let me know how that turns out...

and scrunchy: congrats on another finished bag Smiley  that's awesome.  post some pics as soon as you finish.

as for me, still working on the long strap.  i've been a little distracted with school and whatnot but i'll post a pic or two this weekend Smiley

good luck...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

teambink
QueenBeez
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005 11:12:20 AM »

I'm working on this too-- I've got all the knitting done, now I just have to finish it. I admit that I'm sort of sick of it, though.

I hear you on the haphazard seaming... sigh.

Anyone know where I can find a big metal ring? I tried the craft store but didn't see anything except a couple of small d-rings and some too small keychain rings.  Maybe a proper fabric store would be better?

I should post a picture. My husband said it looks like a sting ray- I've sewed up one side of it, but that's about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005 02:05:36 PM »

i just started my messenger bag, and am having a horrible time w/ the herringbone stitch. i consider myself a pretty even knitter, but no matter how loose i cast on my stitches come out very tight. it's almost impossible to do anything with them. i've been using lamb's pride bulky on bamboos, but do you think i would have more luck with plastics? i really hate them, but i have a pair lying around that i could use. what do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005 05:05:14 PM »

i would really appreciate some help- i switched over to plastics, and it seems to be a little better, but still a pain in the ass to knit. does it ever get better? also, i think i might have dropped a stich somewhere along the line, but with all the weird strands it's hard to figure out. if i did drop one, what would be the best way to get back to 20 sts? thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005 04:50:36 PM »

I started this bag back in March (I think), then I didn't touch it for about 3 months. So now I picked it up again, and I'm working on the sides.

Fakeiloveyous - When I started up the herringbone stitch again, I somehow lost a stitch within two rows. I just did a m1 somewhere in the middle on the next row, and it appears flawless. Besides, it'll be all fuzzy later. About the tight stitches- I don't know. Mine is nice and loose. I'm knitting on aluminum needles, which are quite slippery.

Mine is in the recommended yarn (I bought it in bulk for cheap <3).
I'll get around to posting pictures when I'm done. I'm working really slowly. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Reusable Templates in Photoshop
How to ‘Photoshop’ Yourself Into an Image
The Camera Raw "Do-Over" Button in Photoshop
How to Draw Pink Panther
How to Draw Pidgey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...