A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: S&BN "Candy Stripers" Bag Knitalong! (now w/pics)  (Read 6658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebink
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005 02:06:15 PM »

herekitty, the bag is coming along well.  my parents are out of town & took the camera with them so i won't be able to post pictures until wed. 

but i'll post a.s.a.p. when they come back Smiley

right now i'm working on the long end of the strap (80 rows i think), somehow my herringbone stitch isn't quite right.  my rows are a little more diagonal instead of straight across - you know what i mean?  it's subtle so it's not too bad.

i made one more change.  the strap is supposed to be 8 stitches across but i thought it looked too skinny.  so i stopped decreasing early and my strap is now 10 wide. 

i'll keep you updated...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"oh my morning's coming back, the whole worlds waking up..." - bright eyes

teambink
scrunchy
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005 12:18:54 PM »

Mine's done! While I wish I hadn't promised it to a friend, I've already started on one for myself.

Aside from some very ... haphazard seaming on my part, I'm really happy with it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 10:04:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebink
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005 11:56:43 PM »

so cute!  what kind yarn did you use?  and did you follow the pattern word for word?

you should be very proud because it looks great!

(and I like the colors, by the way)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teambink
herekitty
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005 03:38:02 AM »

I've finished all the knitting and seaming.  Yay. 
But I'm having trouble with the felting Angry
I tried three times and it's not going well!  It's not shrinking at all, just getting a bit fuzzier. 
I used 100% wool and felted some swatches of the yarn before I started and they shrank and felted beautifully.  Any ideas?  I didn't use the recommended yarn, but as I said, I tested it for feltworthiness first!
Oh dear.
Here's the pre-felt finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrunchy
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005 11:30:37 AM »

thebink: Thank you!!

I used Lopi, which felted up nicely, but was so incredibly fuzzy that I took a disposable razor to the bag after it was dry (everyone in my apt. thought I was crazy, and for good reason: I was standing over the sink, cursing while shaving an accessory).

The only part of the pattern I changed was the striping. The person I made it for only wanted 2 colors, and I didn't like how the stripes in the book didn't really match up. So I used this Stripe Generator site to come up with a sequence I liked, and then I just did the gusset & strap with the "2 rows of each color" repeat pattern for the Laptop Bag (which made the counting of so many rows awesomely simple).

I actually finished the second bag (the one for me me me) yesterday, and it's sitting on my windowsill waiting to be given a zipper. Also, since I did it all in 1 color (Lamb's Pride bulky in M07 - Sable), I'm debating whether or not I want to needle felt something onto the side. Maybe a red or orange poppy. We'll see what strikes me when it's time to decide Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebink
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005 01:26:57 PM »

herekitty:   i'm so sorry to hear about your felting issues... that is really weird, seeing as that you had felted some swatches ahead of time.  (that kind of makes me nervous because I did the same thing.)  Have you had anymore luck since last post??? Maybe, and this is my only guess, that because the bag is much larger and bulkier than a swatch, it just takes more friction and washing to get it to felt.  Maybe you just need to keep going... let me know how that turns out...

and scrunchy: congrats on another finished bag Smiley  that's awesome.  post some pics as soon as you finish.

as for me, still working on the long strap.  i've been a little distracted with school and whatnot but i'll post a pic or two this weekend Smiley

good luck...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

teambink
QueenBeez
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005 11:12:20 AM »

I'm working on this too-- I've got all the knitting done, now I just have to finish it. I admit that I'm sort of sick of it, though.

I hear you on the haphazard seaming... sigh.

Anyone know where I can find a big metal ring? I tried the craft store but didn't see anything except a couple of small d-rings and some too small keychain rings.  Maybe a proper fabric store would be better?

I should post a picture. My husband said it looks like a sting ray- I've sewed up one side of it, but that's about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005 02:05:36 PM »

i just started my messenger bag, and am having a horrible time w/ the herringbone stitch. i consider myself a pretty even knitter, but no matter how loose i cast on my stitches come out very tight. it's almost impossible to do anything with them. i've been using lamb's pride bulky on bamboos, but do you think i would have more luck with plastics? i really hate them, but i have a pair lying around that i could use. what do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005 05:05:14 PM »

i would really appreciate some help- i switched over to plastics, and it seems to be a little better, but still a pain in the ass to knit. does it ever get better? also, i think i might have dropped a stich somewhere along the line, but with all the weird strands it's hard to figure out. if i did drop one, what would be the best way to get back to 20 sts? thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005 04:50:36 PM »

I started this bag back in March (I think), then I didn't touch it for about 3 months. So now I picked it up again, and I'm working on the sides.

Fakeiloveyous - When I started up the herringbone stitch again, I somehow lost a stitch within two rows. I just did a m1 somewhere in the middle on the next row, and it appears flawless. Besides, it'll be all fuzzy later. About the tight stitches- I don't know. Mine is nice and loose. I'm knitting on aluminum needles, which are quite slippery.

Mine is in the recommended yarn (I bought it in bulk for cheap <3).
I'll get around to posting pictures when I'm done. I'm working really slowly. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
How to Make Your Own Custom Brushes in Gimp
How to Add Gradient Effect To Text in Gimp
How to Make Feather Borders
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...