A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice on where to start. practical questions from a noob  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2008 03:45:05 PM »

I've been looking for a hobby that can also be profitable.  I believe I'm in an area where theres a market for homespun.    The only problem is I don't exactly know where to start.  Here is a list of questions that have come to my mind.

1. Which wheel have you got and why do you like it?
2. do you have a favorite website that sells fibers? (I don't think theres a farm out here that harvest wool)
3. How long do you have to spend at the wheel at a time? (once I get good at it anyway?  I've got 2 demanding boys 3 and <1yr)
4. Does it make much mess? (like, can I set it up in my living room?)  I just see having fibers floating about.....
5. Is dyeing the fiber fairly easy?  I've got 2 large wash basins I think I could use for this.

ummm... well I think thats it for now.  Those 2 demanding boys I mentioned are being demanding lol Wink

~>.*~belladune~*.<~

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008 04:11:28 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguino
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 04:27:37 PM »

1. I have Ashford Kiwi.  I like it because it is easy to learn and easy to spin and it is inexpensive.
2. I like the sheepshedstudio.com because it is cheap and paradisefiber.com because it has free shipping for over $100 order and dharmatrading.com for dye stuff.
3.  I usually spend one hour plus on the wheel at a time.  In the weekend, maybe three/four hours.   I love to spin and create yarn.
4.  I don't think it makes mess.  Ususally fur ball happens when I neglect to vaccum which is my fault.
5.  Dyeing fiber is easy.  You need some pot, dye and buckets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008 05:01:05 PM »

oh another question.

If I get started, and my 3yr old decides to, oh, i dunno, say pour himself a glass of milk and pours it all over the floor,  Can I stop and pick it up where I left off, or does one skein (skien?) have to be done all at the same time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 05:14:50 PM »

I've been looking for a hobby that can also be profitable.  I believe I'm in an area where theres a market for homespun.   

I only dream of being in an area like this!
I started with a homemade spindle, then went to an Ashford Traveller, then an Ashford Traditional, then an antique Irish style Saxon, then a Great Wheel., then a Kromski Sonata.

They all have their high points, but I'm partial to the Traveller & Sonata.

2. do you have a favorite website that sells fibers? (I don't think theres a farm out here that harvest wool)

I process a lot of my own fibers from raw, but always check to see what Carol & Carl Lee have at the website Penquino posted
3. How long do you have to spend at the wheel at a time? (once I get good at it anyway?  I've got 2 demanding boys 3 and <1yr)

As much time as I can!  I don't have small children.  I have a fiber room but spin mostly in the LR
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008 05:45:21 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008 05:20:57 PM »

i have a kromski sonata i liked it because it came with free shipping and cheaper then the majacraft(which is what i would rather have, but the sonata is good for low cost for me, there are others that are even more lower though)

i enjoy the shipping from brown mill sheep farm or something like that, they have superwash, diffrent colors and many more.

mine time is sporadic but i plan to bring it to school for demostration in the spring or when i have a chance i usually just spin on it.

4. Does it make much mess? (like, can I set it up in my living room?)  I just see having fibers floating about.....
well when you say floating i think bags of fiber unspun and spun just laying about, then yes. they dont float around, but maybe a few occasional bits fly but thats from handling it not during the spinning process for me.

5. Is dyeing the fiber fairly easy?  I've got 2 large wash basins I think I could use for this.
yes it is super duper easy (lol that sounded cheesy), i usually just steam them since i have a steamer and use kool aid or vinegar with food dye, but i did buy from fruit fresh powder i have been meaning to try with the colors too and i have been meaning to try salt coloring(like onion skins for example), i once had a huge pickle jar and sundyed all day but it didnt heat up enough, guess i needed a solar cooker like contraption for more heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008 05:21:47 PM »

I start and stop in the middle of spinning all the time, that should be no problem. It isn't "messy" per se, but you will find little wool fibers all over yourself much like you would if you had a long-haired pet in the house. (Someone who vacuums more often than me probably wouldn't need to worry much!)

I have an Ashford Traveller and a Spinolution Mach1, both of which I love. Although you need to be prepared--most new spinning wheels cost $300-$400 at least (my mach1 was $700 with accessories & shipping) so a wheel is an investment that could take a looong time to pay for itself. Choose your wheel based on your individual needs (price, ease of transport, availability of add-ons like lace or bulky flyers, etc).

Dyeing is fun & easy. If you go the quick and easy way, you can dye wool with kool-aid in the microwave. If you want to use acid dyes, I would recommend keeping your little ones safely away from you. It's not exactly dangerous, but the powder is harmful if inhaled, and spilling a jar of it would not be good with babies around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
penguino
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008 05:30:37 PM »

I start and stop all the time, got hungry, phone call etc...

If I were to get a wheel now, I will get the Mach1.  It spins so smooth and quiet.  The only downsize is its weight and size doesn't lead to travel very well.

For dyeing, I would suggest to start with food dye like koolaid or cake dye.  Afterwhile, you can invest more $, do acid dye and have separate pot and utensils and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 05:38:37 PM »

I start and stop all the time, got hungry, phone call etc...

If I were to get a wheel now, I will get the Mach1.  It spins so smooth and quiet.  The only downsize is its weight and size doesn't lead to travel very well.

For dyeing, I would suggest to start with food dye like koolaid or cake dye.  Afterwhile, you can invest more $, do acid dye and have separate pot and utensils and such.

ooh thats right the mach 1 is a wheel i would want on my wish list as well :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008 07:00:22 PM »

I have a Kromski Symphony and a Kromski Sonata. One gal is a little more portable.  Grin
I love them because they are beautiful, durable and made by a family owned business.

2. do you have a favorite website that sells fibers?
I like coppermoose on ebay. For many of the same reasons above,lol.

4. Does it make much mess?
Hell yes! You will have fiber on everything you own...but it's pretty cool.

5. Is dyeing the fiber fairly easy? 
I buy mine pre dyed and then blend it how I need to. For me dying is pretty messy. Wink

I hope this helps! PM if you need any more info, I love to chat fiber.

[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008 07:15:05 PM »

so, in searching youtube for videos to see if i could do this (I have tender wrists and hands... which sucks cause I love to knit and sew)  anyway,  I came across drop spindle spinning.  Have you done this, is there much versatility too it or is it a one tension, one twist type thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Succeed on Deal or No Deal
How to Succeed at Rock Paper Scissors
How to Succeed on Jeopardy
How to Succeed on Wheel of Fortune
How to Succeed on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...