A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question on adjusting/repairing an ashford traditional wheel  (Read 658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2008 01:29:59 AM »

Hi everyone,
I just (as in less than 24 hours ago) bought an older ashford traditional wheel, it is very similar in overall construction to a new ashford wheel but it needs a few adjustments.  and I am trying to work out how I make the changes to get it back to great form without risking damaging the wheel.  the spokes on the wheel are loose and the center circle of the wheel has a slight gap.  Nothing major I don't think but something that definitely needs attention.  The wheel has been taken care of well (the leather bits are all in excellent condition and the mother of all and the maidens are great, as well as the tension rods/brakes. 

So my questions:

Would it be possible for me to use gorilla glue (the expanding wood glue) and a set of clamps to re tighten the bits that need it?  It spins as it is but the loose spokes cause it to spin a little wobbly and I know for efficency and life of the wheel it needs to spin straight. 

The finish on the wheel needs some attention too, can I use any furniture type wax to refinish the frame or should I oil the wood to rejuvenate it and help return some of the moisture that the wood has lost due to the time it has been without a finish on it's surface? 

I hope this makes sense I'm very new to this and while I have done much research I just need a little assistance to keep myself from making a mistake I cannot undo Smiley

here is a picture of the gap around the spokes, hopefully it helps explain in case my words stink lol  Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS  I *blame* all of you and your beautiful yarns on fiber fridays for my deciding I need to attempt spinning lol.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008 02:18:32 AM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008 05:43:58 AM »

Absolutely, some gorilla glue and clamps will get that hub working like new (had to do it to my mid-70's era Traditional and it worked great.)

As for the finish, I'd wash it well then use some oil on it.

Here is a url=http://www.ashford.co.nz/helpandadvice/TDSW.pdf] Assembly PDF[/url] for your wheel. 

And if you go to the Ashford website and click on the link "Reinventing the Wheel", you will be able to date your wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008 07:44:29 AM »

Thank you mullerslanefarm Smiley  I actually already know the date it's from 1964.  She does work beautifully I just want to ensure that she works beautifully for a long time to come

Again thank you for your help I know what to stop to get shortly now Smiley

April
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Natural Glossy Hair Makeover
Vintage Style Makeup Makeover
Short Hair Styling Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...