A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
788 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ukrainian pysanky eggs *tutorial*  (Read 17098 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , egg  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caradea
Tutorial Contributor

former crocheter, avid photographer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2004 05:58:58 AM »

Yeah, I know, it's not easter but I felt like doing some eggs anyway. I was trying to figure out if you could do pysanky at all on brown eggs when I found a tutorial on how to vinegar-etch emu eggs (which are apparently really good for etching since it's a very dark green on the outside, light blue-green underneath that and white on the thinnest layer). So I had to try it now. I discovered there's absolutely no need to soak a brown chicken egg for more than maybe 5 minutes for a colour change to happen. My local supermarket sells rare breeds eggs which are beautiful green and blue so I might invest in a box of those after I get through this box... No white eggs to be found but blue and green ones? Hey, that's more common than white!  Tongue
I noticed after I took the picture that the duvet cover on the duvet that covers my sofa matches the egg's earthy tones perfectly. I should make my next egg look like the duvet so it's camouflaged. Grin

Ah well, these are vaguely easier than normal pysanky... no messy dye flinging around.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005 01:40:54 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katycat24
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004 06:02:27 AM »

That looks great!  I always leave it in too long and then have deep grooves that the black wax will not come out of, so I end up with black/gray stains in the etched areas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004 06:48:36 AM »

Beautiful!  I remember these from my childhood and have always wanted to learn to make them.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Caradea
Tutorial Contributor

former crocheter, avid photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004 07:59:59 AM »

That looks great!  I always leave it in too long and then have deep grooves that the black wax will not come out of, so I end up with black/gray stains in the etched areas.

That emu egg etching tutorial suggests using a wax remover on some cloth. I've read elsewhere to rub some lighter fluid on the egg to get the excess wax off. I didn't think it was possible to etch the eggs that deeply  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katycat24
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004 11:05:25 AM »

Oh, definitely, you can etch right through to the egg membrane if you leave it in there long enough!  But I have used an etch called The Works toilet cleaner - hydrochloric acid works lightning fast compared to vinegar, but is hazardous to health.  I use it when working on goose and ostrich eggs because the shell is so much thicker.  Also, you can use paint thinner, etc., but I have recently been using Goo Gone, which works as well or better and is less hazardous to health. 

I've been doing eggs for years, so if you have any questions about anything, I have probably made that mistake and can tell you the right/easier way to do it!  Just pm me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zilla
Eggspressionist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004 06:56:51 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new and I just thought I'd introduce myself and what I do, which is pysanky.  Any other pysanky artists here?  Grin

Here are some pics of past creations:

http://zilla-anassi.home.mchsi.com/eggs.jpg

http://zilla-anassi.home.mchsi.com/pain.jpg

At the moment I'm working on egg ornaments for a couple craft shows in the next couple of weeks.  Frazzled but satisfied and busy Smiley  Nice to meet you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004 06:59:54 AM »

Shocked
wowza, I am in awe....... those are fantastic.
nice to meet you, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004 07:02:29 AM »

Welcome to Crafster!
Those are gorgeous.  I've never done them but I would love to learn how.  Any advice on the best way to get started?

Thanks,
Barbi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
zilla
Eggspressionist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004 07:08:49 AM »

Well, you could do what I did and order a kit from http://www.ukrainiangiftshop.com.  There are many sites that show you how as well, namely http://www.learnpysanky.com.

It takes a lot of patience, that's for sure.  It's like, "I know I can draw a straight line, so why the heck does it look so terrible?", hee. 

I'm working on a page to start selling custom pysanky, slow going but it's getting there.  Here is an example of one of the pictures: http://www.zillashimmy.com/eggs/mandalafire_front.jpg to show the detail!  Pysanky is exciting if only for the fact that it continues to be inspiring and surprising, even 5 years later.  When the beeswax comes off, it's truly amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004 07:14:08 AM »

Truly an amazing artform & your work is INCREDIBLE!!!
You could do the real Fabrege eggs. I am dumb-struck by your mad skills!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham/Chicken/Cheese Hoagie Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Brown Gravy Recipe
Ham Salad and Sandwich Recipe
Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...