A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My (kitsch)en- many gal. of paint harmed in the making...  (Read 6326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hippie4yahweh

Dabbler of all, master of... eh, not much

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2008 06:32:19 AM »

So I bought this house last fall, and since it was a foreclosure (and super nasty) we (SO and I) had to redo EVERY room in the house! (He wasn't much help with the planning, lol....) Plus, since EVERY room had to be touched we had a SUPER skinny budget.

I desperately wanted to get new kitchen cabinets and counter, but it just won't happen for a few years.

So what we did was:  paint the walls, paint the cabinets inside and out, new appliances, new faucet, new cabinet hardware, new vinyl tile floor (looks like stone-ish), removed a couple cab. doors for open storage, used ceramic paint to go over really ugly granny-flowered tiles in the backsplash, etc etc etc. It was super fun, but a LOT of work, and I really didn't spend much $$!

The dining room has a brown chair rail (same color as cab. frames) with rust on the bottom (same as cab. doors, but many shades darker) and the wheat color- seen around kit. window- on top. (Kit. and DR are connected)

So blah blah blah, right? lol- ok, I'll shut up, here are the pics! (Befores and afters)
Before (blech)                                                   After!! Yeay!!

So I really hate this valance, can't decide what to replace it with....

Before ::shivers with dread::                                love love love this room now Smiley

Let me know what you think! We finished this room last winter and I'm thisclose to changing it again... haha SO will be so pissed at me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."
Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
mimik
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 06:49:51 AM »

WOW!  You did an amazing job, very inspirational, really!  It's so cozy and warm, I love it.  How did you change the color on the edge of the counters? Is that paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemybrachiosaurus
If it weren't for dino's, what would we look up to?

Reading, Oboing, and Sewing make up my life!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008 06:51:56 AM »

It looks SOOOO amazing!!! I LOVE the colours that you picked out! I wouldn't change it. Smiley Also, the valence isn't bad at all, it actually compliments the room. Cheesy I would love to have a kitchen like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. -Louisa May Alcott

pinterest.com/libraryoboist
ilovemybrachiosauru s.blogspot.com

My Children's Library Blog!
mrlkids.blogspot.co m
ccswch
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 06:58:53 AM »

That's fantastic! It looks so warm and inviting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps
Radmom
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008 07:00:49 AM »

I love what u have done. Fits yer name Wink  I'm a pretty big hippie too, however I tend to have 'lots' of me. If that was my kitchen I would no doubt have ended up doing the new 'modern' twist of the 50's...You know black, white and red with bright silver handles. Yes, I am also a victim of the punk early 80's as well.LOLOL

Maybe look at Sari's that match the color plan to your kitchen and make a new valance out of?? Just an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittodejemm
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008 07:04:49 AM »

Super Amazing!!  Are those metal cabinets?  What kind of paint did you use?  I used plain old latex on mine and it is scratching right off!! 

P.S. Don't change it, it's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippie4yahweh

Dabbler of all, master of... eh, not much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008 07:07:33 AM »

Wow, thanks guys!!

The edge of the counter is painted also, I couldn't find that type of laminate edging ANYWHERE! (It really sucks, actually- if belts / buttons on jeans hit it the stupid thing scratches so easily!)

The cabinets are regular wood, and the paint was latex- it does want to get scratched easily, but I sanded them before I painted and used Kilz primer (best stuff ever) so it stays pretty well!

Thanks for the awesome comments, I <3 you guys!

-Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."
Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
crystabrittany

my 4-year-old cousin is my idol.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 07:18:25 AM »

Oh my gosh, it's just beautiful!  I am in love with that color scheme (which always gets tricky for me during the fall when EVERYTHING is harvest colored and I have zero dollars).  Nice work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008 07:55:06 AM »

Wow!  I totally love this! 

And I may totally steal the painted tile thing.  We have a tile backsplash with this ugly 80's-style herb tiles scattered around.  It never occurred to me to paint them, but its such a great idea.  What type of paint did you use?  Did you have to use a heat gun to set it?  I was thinking ceramic paints needed to be heat set, but maybe not.  Oh I'm so excited thinking I could dress up our ugly kitchen (we've done so much other work, we have no time of money for the kitchen - its ugly, but functional)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HorrorCraft
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008 09:08:55 AM »

OMG it is wonderful!  Love the colors.  Love the painted tile.  Love Love Love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Recipe
Mother’s Day Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Chorizo Nacho Bake Recipe
Pork Tenderloin Sliders Recipe
How to Make Baked and Grilled Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...