A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My room for two Help me  (Read 1383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008 10:56:37 PM »

My boyfriend lives 50 miles away and is having heart surgery soon. So you know the good girlfreind that I am I swicthed rooms with my sister to accominate a second bed (futon).   I cant seem to live with the way the funiture is. Theres no walking space.  I can barley get around and my BF is alot larger than me.  I hate the way it looks now and the main problem is the bed. I dont know where to move it to. I cant go any smaller. also what do I do with the tv to get it off the floor?  Below is a drawing of my room(need a cable for my camera). Anyone got any help?

Picture key:
1. end table-curently functioning as a lamp stand but also works as a nightstand when futons folded out
2. Futon- Must stay in room for when my boyfreind visits
3. End table- See 1
4. Floor Lamp- Curently my only light sorce since I broke the fans light
5. Bookcase- Skinny and stylish
6. Nightstand- Total nessicity
7. Nightstand- Totally there for those movie wacthin nights
8. Crappy desk- there for storage and home work
9. My large craft boxes which come up in front of the window
10. small bench- tempoary home since the heat vent is there
11. Chair- tempoary home since the heat vent is there
12. Window-large and a pain in the butt, curently has very ugly blinds and brown curtains (to block the light)
13. Shelves- The movable kind holds jewerly, and books
14. Dresser- old and broken still works
15. Toy chest- A nice place to store kitchen goods (gatta keep them here till I move)
16. Footlocker- more storage
17. Unusable space due to roomates dresses
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
mintbamboo
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 11:31:21 PM »

When I was living at home I would often rearrange my furniture. I realized the third time or so that instead of haphazardly moving things around until they fit, I should come up with a scale model on paper. So should you (I'm assuming your image isn't to scale  Smiley). It doesn't take a whole lot of time, promise.

Get a measuring tape (one of the big metal-ish ones that carpenters use if you can) and measure the length and width of your room, as well as where windows, doors, and light switches are. Mark this all down on a piece of paper. Then measure the length and width of each piece of furniture, and again mark it down.

On a piece of paper, draw out the walls of your room to scale (essentially the same as you have done on your image, but to scale). Again, mark windows, doors, and light switches. Then on separate pieces of paper, cut out the shapes of your furniture (label them!) to the same scale. Now you can freely move your furniture around before actually picking them up and moving them physically!

Just remember to watch where you put shelves and other tall pieces (like, not on the wall with the light switch), and to make sure there's enough room for the futon to fold out. Hopefully this helps you, it's a bit hard to tell you what to do just by looking at the drawing. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 11:35:54 PM »

fold out! aww crapp thats the one thing i didnt think of. right now it would hit the table. Drawing out my room takes so long *wines* lol. Ihave 20 peices  of furniture in the room. 21 forgot the huge lamp that spring loads to hold itself up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
M Fox
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008 11:38:04 PM »

Can you put the foot locker on top of the toy chest?
Maybe you could put your tv on top (assuming that you rearrange the whole room.)

Or put the craft boxes on top of the footlocker.

So it would be - toy chest on bottom (holds kitchen stuff you don't need to access)
Foot locker on top of tc
craft boxes on top to fl
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 11:40:17 PM by M Fox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeperrox
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008 11:39:33 PM »

What's 18?  Is this to scale?

My first suggestion would be to move the floor lamp into the corner and slide the #3 night stand all the way to the wall to free up room by the entrance (assuming that the door opens out).  You obviously have WAY too much furniture in there, but it seems like you can't do anything about that right now (or at least you don't want to). 

I'd see if you can get any of this off the floor and mounted onto the walls.  Wall mounted shelving would be more efficient than standing book shelves, as would a night stand.  If money is an issue, I'm sure that you could fashion at least some night stands with some L-brackets and painted MDF, which would free up a lot of space while not costing a lot of money.

As for the TV, again, my only suggestion would be to get one of the wall mounting arms.

If you could move some of the furniture out of the room without replacing it, I'd have other suggestions, but for now, getting some of this stuff off the floor and onto the wall seems like your best bet.  I'm interested, though, in what other suggestions you'll get!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 11:42:23 PM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchesbyteresa
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008 11:54:02 PM »

I noticed a long line is drawn to the right of the bed, in front of items 15, 16 and 17...is this a closet?  As far as the suggestion of drawing to scale, I suggest using graph paper for this as the simplest way to try this and let 1 ft equal 1 square on the graph paper...or depending on total size of room, you decide what you want each square size to be and then just keep this consistant.

So what is # 18?  This looks to be blocking the walking pathway, as does the tv.  I dont' know if I missed this, but if the TV is small enough, could it actually be moved to the corner and maybe even be placed on a shelf or table already in the room?  The main thing is to DECLUTTER as much as possible.  Anything you DO NOT USE OR NEED, get rid of it.  In the long run, you will be SO GLAD you did this!  Have a yard sale or try to sell on ebay if you need to get rid of it, but feel your items have value.  Walmart currently has some very high output floor lamps on clearance for as low as $10!  I just purchased several floor lamps ranging in price from $10 to $17 on sale and the normal price was as high as $59! SO if you replace those end tables with two nice floor lamps including light directed for reading and maybe two of the fold out dinner trays that can fold back up for storage in corner of closet when not in use, you'll instantly have more space and light at a very low cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008 11:58:38 PM »

Well the chair in the corner folds down so it could go. 18 is my table- cubey thing. Its got dividers inside and is great storage. I was thinking of flipping it up somewere for a tv stand. any ideas on how to hide my desk. It would be a big improvment if i didnt have to see it. Mabey using my bamboo curtains. WAIT!! I could put in the closet, and move the two chests. hummm. almost 2 am. Probley not a good idea to move furniture, I tend to get mad. No need to annoy the few neighbors who still like us.  Would a canopy around the bed look stupid? I have one thats a box with curtains coming out of it. Its beautiful. would it look weird or no?  the stands are double purpose. They make nice nightstands. I could get rid of the one but not the other. Tv dosnet block the path its just really sucky to lay on the futon and have to look down to see the tv.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
M Fox
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 12:23:12 AM »

I think a canopy around the bed will make the room more crowded and claustrophobic feeling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eapa
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008 08:23:22 AM »

Like others have said, it's hard to determine for sure, because I don't know how to-scale the chart you have is, but my suggestions, based on how the drawing appears to me:

1)  Get rid of some of those end tables.  You have four.  At most, you should need two, one for each bed.  The ones you have currently are taking a lot of space, and just encourage more clutter.  My only end table is one of those folding TV-dinner type tables, with my alarm clock and space for a couple books on it.  A lamp will fit, too.  Can the bench go out of your room somewhere, like the hallway or the apartment/house entryway?  Is there a reason you keep it in your bedroom?

2)  Rotate the bed 90 degrees, if it will fit lengthwise between the closet wall and the door.  Do the same for the futon, placing it in the opposite corner under the window.  I think this will open up more floor space in the middle of and entrance to the room, and also stop blocking the entrance to your closet. 

3)  Who is this roommate, and why are you storing her dresses?  Give them back to her, so you can fit more into your closet.  If they're your sister's, who traded the room with you, then I guess there's not much you can do.  But if you can give them back, do so.

4)  Move the craft boxes either into the closet (where the dresses were) or, if there's room, along the wall behind the door when it opens.  If you can fit the table there, that's where you can put the TV.  If not, maybe take one of those superfluous night stands and use that instead to keep the TV off the floor.

5)  Is the TV truly a necessity?  Wink  I don't have one and don't miss it ... and I would think if you live in an apartment or house, there should be a central TV in the living room for you to watch instead of really needing one in your bedroom.

Note:  I live in a studio apartment with limited space.  I learned really quick how much stuff I could fit in here, and how best to utilize the area I had, and the place feels pretty open and roomy (if i do say so myself). Smiley  Also note that I think my entire apartment has less furniture than your bedroom (even discounting the extra futon bed), and I don't have a TV to worry about (just my computer, which is on my desk).

These are just a few thoughts, and hopefully even trying some of them will let you see other (probably better) possibilities with your limited space.  Good luck!  And good for you, being such a great girlfriend.  I hope your boyfriend's surgery goes well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Lody
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008 08:56:05 AM »

Get rid of the end tables and lamp stands--if you need more light, a floor lamp (or better, fixing your ceiling lamp) is the way to go, they give off more light for less floor surface.  Only keep your nightstand and one of end tables/bench (one out of 1, 10, and 3).  Use it to put the TV on (you can take the tv off of it when your boyfriend uses it as a nightstand, if he really needs one).  Move number 5, the bookcase, into the bottom left corner--this, along with the removal of the end tables, might give you the ability to put the full sized bed the other way? You can keep one of the sides of the bed against the wall, we aren't sims who need access to both sides Wink.  Also try to move the futon into an angle, maybe the top left-- larger furniture is better in angles, because it doesn't block off space on three sides that way, if that makes sense.  (like, a desk in the middle of a wall takes up mroe space than a desk in a corner).  Try to stack the toychest and footlocker or slide them under your roommate's dresses.  If you can manage to get them into that bottom of the closet, that'd be best because then you'll be able to place stuff in front--for example your craft shelves-- since you don't need access to kitchen stuff.

I hope I helped a little--try to get pictures, they really would help a lot with seeing how much space everythign actually takes up.  And really, the most adivce I can give you is get rid of some stuff! You have way too much furniture compared to the room's size Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Delicious Christmas Sables
How To Make A Plum And Ginger Trifle
How to Make Wintery Snowflake Cupcakes
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Mexican Chocolate Sauce Recipe
Health: Avoid These Cookies During The Holiday Season
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...