A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can someone recommend a good fabric dye? rit bites! n/m  (Read 1351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

un chien
« on: February 27, 2005 07:55:17 AM »

-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
houseofdanie
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005 10:36:45 AM »

For natural fibers, you can't beat Procion MX dyes. They're vibrant and if you do it right, they don't bleed all over the place and fade to high heaven. You can see 'em and read the instructions at http://www.dharmatrading.com.

-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
un chien
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005 02:41:11 PM »

Thanks-I just wish they sold smaller quantities at smaller prices. I wanted to buy a bunch of hanes tees and beaters and dye each a different color hmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
houseofdanie
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005 02:45:58 PM »

One option is to just buy the primary colors and mix your own shades. A little dye goes a LONG way, so this is mostly what I do. The primary colors in dye, tho, are not the ones you might think, so examine the color chart carefully.

-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
un chien
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005 10:06:40 AM »

Thank you, i just researched a little harder and saw that they have a starter kit for $20- it's$40 if you get an instructional book with it. The basic instructions must be on the bottle though and the book is just for more elaborate projects?
If I go with the big bottles 1.Do you NEED the additives?
                                      2. What are your recommendations for primaries?
                                      3. Does the dye keep indefinitely?

Thanks, I appreciate your advice 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DIYdani
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005 07:43:36 AM »

I have a similar question.. I know you need the soda ash but do you need the Urea and can't you just use dish soap instead of synthrapol.  The prices aren't as bad as the shipping!! It can get heavy if you get all that stuff..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
houseofdanie
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005 08:01:44 PM »

Oh, whoops! I must have accidentally unsubscribed to the thread. I'm sorry for the delay!

As for needing the additives... which do you mean? You definitely need the soda ash, as it brings the PH up high enough for the dye to react with the fabric. Which others did you mean?

The Procion primaries are #119, #338, and #440. It works like ink (CMYK -- cyan, magenta, yellow, black), not like paint.

The dye comes in a powder, and if you keep it sealed up tight, it should last for a long, long time.

Urea is useful when you're tie-dying, because it keeps the fabric from drying out. What chemicals you need depends a lot on what method you're using. For low-water immersion dying, for example, you need dye, water, and soda ash. And that's pretty much it.

You don't NEED Synthrapol, but I wouldn't be without it. You use not much at all per batch, and it's so useful. It's so hard to rinse dye out 100% without it, and while some folks do use dish soap, I like the peace of mind I get from having used Synthrapol in the wash. I also use the dye fixative. I can wash my newly-dyed items with whites and no dye leaks onto anything else. It rocks.

Hope it helps!
-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lamb Sliders to go with your Beer
Pizza Dog Bash with Chef Cat De Orio
Big Game Snackers with Chef Jill Houk
Brunch for a Bunch with Chef Cat De Orio
Charcoal Grill Barbecue Demo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...