A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler panties YCMT pattern review updated more pics and matching cami  (Read 5273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UUmom2many
« on: September 26, 2008 01:39:28 PM »

I bought the Children's undies pattern http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/clothing-creation/Childrens-Undies.htm from YCMT and headed to joann's because they have knit on sale 40% off this week. It says that a 1/2 yard will yield 2 pairs of panties but I think it you lay the pattern out carefully you can get at least 1-2 more depending on the size. Overall it's an easy to follow pattern and I whipped these 2 pairs up in about an hour but that was
1. never doing panties before
2. never working with knits before and
3 not having a serger

The second pair (with the hippos in the back) came out much better than the first pair but I figured there's a learning curve. My toddler says they're still comfy and she really likes the hippos. I have enough fabric to make many more so I can get really good. My hubby asked me why I didn't just buy panties but these are pretty heavy knit and don't have elastic which cuts into my 5yo. Plus my 6yo son is super skinny and even 2t-3t's are baggy on him so I thought I could make some that fit better. I figure after some trial I can whip up a half dozen or so in an hour!

I'm going to try and make a couple matching cami's too to use as jammies since we're in FL and you really don't need jammies in the summer at least.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008 11:44:30 AM by UUmom2many » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
tivaclare
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 01:46:55 PM »

cute! I may have to do something like this once DD gets out of diapers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 01:54:34 PM »

Very cute!!  I'm glad to hear that those can be done without a serger.  I'm afraid to touch knits since I don't have a serger. Maybe I should sit down and give it a shot! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008 03:04:00 PM »

They're fantastic undies.  I liked yours so much, I went to the YCMT website and purchased the pattern too!!!  I really like the idea of no elastic.  Although, I will be making boys ones (without the opening though - my 6yo didn't like that).  Woo Hoo.  Thanks for posting UUmom2many!!

Heck, I may even enlarge the pattern and make some for myself!!  Cheesy  They do look really comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UUmom2many
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008 05:28:08 PM »

Heck, I may even enlarge the pattern and make some for myself!!  Cheesy  They do look really comfy.

I was thinking the same thing LOL it's hard to find maternity undies that fit right and now that I've made some and she wore them and they don't fall apart I'm gaining confidence to make others! I'm working on nursning bras for me next though.

I'd love to see the finished products! I'll be doing the boy one with a mock front since even hubby said he never uses it when he wears those types. I think if you omit the inside extra binding and just zig zag or serge the end(like it's done with the lining for the panties) then do the outer with the ribbing edge but top stitch it to the back layer it would come out comfy but still look like boy undies.

I have to adjust my pattern a bit, the two's are a little snug on my 3.5yo but she's skinny so I'm going to try adding a little to the pattern and making the leg opening higher. These came out looking like boy short undies on her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
wendyMN
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008 05:41:03 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for the review -- I love YCMT but their posted pictures are always rainbows and sunshine, YKWIM?  It's good to have a little more info, and to know they're usable!  I totally want to make undies for my DD now that she's *finally* potty training. 

Yours look great!!  Thanks for the post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008 07:17:07 PM »

Love them!  I want some for my girls.

Thanks for sharing!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwendles
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 01:35:24 AM »

aww, so sweet! Although if it was me I could see it turning into "Mom, i don't have any clean underwear!" "Laundry...meh...I'll just make you a pair, hang on a couple minutes."  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unjugetito
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008 07:47:11 AM »

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to make undies for The Queen for weeks now since she gets lines with elastic ones. I even cut up several pairs of hers and still couldn't figure it out! (not that bright!  Tongue)
Thanks again!
 Yours came out great btw
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008 01:35:06 PM »

I was thinking the same thing LOL it's hard to find maternity undies that fit right and now that I've made some and she wore them and they don't fall apart I'm gaining confidence to make others! I'm working on nursning bras for me next though.

I'd love to see the finished products! I'll be doing the boy one with a mock front since even hubby said he never uses it when he wears those types. I think if you omit the inside extra binding and just zig zag or serge the end(like it's done with the lining for the panties) then do the outer with the ribbing edge but top stitch it to the back layer it would come out comfy but still look like boy undies.

I have to adjust my pattern a bit, the two's are a little snug on my 3.5yo but she's skinny so I'm going to try adding a little to the pattern and making the leg opening higher. These came out looking like boy short undies on her.

I made a pair last night.  I agree that they are more like boy short undies.  I will post pictures once I have silk screened on the middle panel (he want's WWE undies - now that he's tried them on, he wants transformer ones - have I created a monster???!?.  My Gocco is going to get a workout!!! Roll Eyes ).  I found the fit was OK (I have a 6yo, so I made size 6) but the waist was a little high considering what he is used to so I may modify it a bit to make the waist lower.  He says they're comfy though.  As far as omitting the opening in the boy undies, I just folded the pattern in half lengthwise and traced the opposite side so it is a mirror image and looks similar to the girl front panel. 

They bunched a bit around the openings but I know why that happened - I stretched not only the leg/waist bands, I also stretched the undies themselves as my boys aren't exactly 'delicate' when they put their undies on so it would create a bit extra 'give' in the undies.  However, once they are on, there's no bunching.

All in all though, it  is a great, easy to follow pattern.  There's only two pattern pieces (which I LOVE) plus the leg/waist bands.  The pattern can be easily modified to suit.  I would highly recommend this pattern - even for a beginner.  The hardest part is inserting the leg/waist bands. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint with Watercolors
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Round Objects
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Greens
Supervillain Origins: Catwoman
Supervillain Origins: Bane
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...