A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leftover Makit Bakit Crystals = Funky new bowls *with tute*  (Read 6210 times)
Tags for this thread: bowl , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dmbgirl41
« on: September 26, 2008 07:35:41 AM »

My Best Friend's Aunt was moving out of her house & gave her a ton of art supplies for her little sister. She looked at it & thought "this is just crap" but thought to call me (taker of all things deemed, "crap") so I went over & looked at what she had there was 8 tons of pony beads. And 4 tons of makit bakit crystals amongst other "Kid craft" items. She thought I would just help her bring it to the garbage I think. Instead I made her sit down & organize & go through with me. And I brought home 99.9% of the stuff. (not crap for a craftster- future projects!!!!)
My first thought with the Makit Bakit Crystals (hereby referred to as M.B.C.) was that I would browse through the craft stores & websites to see if you can buy the metal frames for the suncatchers by themselves. You can not. But I did happen to see that there was a "kit" for making M.B.C. bowls. Thankfully, they put pictures on those boxes, and being quite crafty- I thought- E.A.S.Y. but easy is not fun. So of course I had to keep looking. I looked at craftster obv. And I googled it. I came up with this website: http://www.sagersoft.net/electricalparade/MakitBakit/Instructions/BowlInstructions.htm
Now that looked challenging.
To make a long story short. I spent about 3 nights doing these. I just took my time I imagine you could do it in less time though. First I found 2 different cookie cutters I liked. A pig & a pumpkin. Made 3 M.B.C. shapes of each. Bake at 375 for 15 min.(1st night) Then I lined a glass pie dish with foil (you could use disposable, but that's what I had) and placed the pig & pumpkin pieces in the bottom of the pie dish & poured in the M.B.C. all around, carefully picking off any crystals that got onto the pre-made shapes. This is where my concept differs from the website. She poured them all over. I didn't want the colors to mix & get muddy... I made sure the crystals came all the way up to the top of the shapes (I wish I took pics) Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour. (2nd night) When I was done I had a "plate". Next I took a clean, empty tin can & placed it in the middle of the cookie sheet & put tin foil over it. Laid the M.B.C. plate over it & stuck it in the oven. This is the pink & brown bowl. The pink in this bowl was formerly pigs. I obviously melted it too much. Too long, too high temp.(go figure, my mom likes this one best!) So when I did the second bowl, the pumpkin bowl, I baked it at 350 for 5 minutes & it came out much better with shapes in tact. I suggest that temperature, but you really should just watch it.
I think the possibilities are endless, and it was really fun! It does require a little patience. I know I read a lot on here about melting beads & such, so if this was similar to your idea & I didn't credit you, my apologies. I searched Makit Bakit before I posted this, & saw nothing of the like... I hope you all enjoy!!!! I shall continue on giving disregarded 80s craft supplies new life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Sweet you Rock & Sweet You Roll~*
Hulahae Brown

Funky fresh, dressed to impress, ready to party...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 07:45:46 AM »

I absolute love the pink and brown bowl Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 08:21:15 AM »

Grin Awesome! Next time I have leftovers from the kits, I'll use 'em for these....way cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
castlesinthesky
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008 08:24:40 AM »

They are both great, but I love the pink and brown one.  I think the pigs turned into jellyfish or something.  I'm into the organic process of crafting, and getting fun surprises by letting things turn out the way they want to instead of always going according to plan.  Nice concept, thanks for sharing it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 08:26:07 AM by castlesinthesky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmbgirl41
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008 08:20:26 AM »

I made a new one! I made this for some friends who are moving, as sort of a house warming present Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Sweet you Rock & Sweet You Roll~*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 7/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 5/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 3/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 2/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...