A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidering canvas shoes  (Read 1062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruthie
« on: March 04, 2005 02:20:48 AM »

Hi, this is my first ever post and my first ever embroidery project. I have some canvas boots that I want to customise. I was initially going to paint my design on, but I have changed my mind as I am worried about the permanency of the paints (the shoes are for summer wear and I don't want the design being transferred on my ankles. I have the design roughly worked out: it's a floral pattern that will cover most of the outside of the boot (think Converse hi), the back of the ankle and some of the inside (I'll be filling in the design too). Obviously, I'll be embroidering both boots. Wink

My question is whether you think that it will be difficult to go through the canvas with a needle, and if so, whether embroidered appliqués would be a better alternative. How would I go about making my own appliqués?

I have next to no knowledge of embroidery and am off to the library today to see what I can find, but I would really appreciate your views before I do.

Thanks for your help,

xxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrandieGurl28
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005 02:32:40 AM »

i think it would be rather hard towards the toe of the shoe. you  know, being able to get your hand in there and turn the needle and get it to where you want it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
ruthie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005 03:20:15 AM »

Hi BrandieGurl,

I was just going to embroider the back and sides. I'm going to stitch a strip of material down the tongue anyway in the same theme so it should all blend in together. The embroidery design is actually going to be based on the print of the material. I don't think I'll have that much of a problem stitching the strip of fabric along the toe...

Thanks for reading!

Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005 11:11:38 AM »

If you have trouble working with the needle inside the shoe, you might try one of those curved upholstery needles-- it'd take some getting used to, but might save you a lot of cursing about working in such a tight space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear to the Gym
4th of July Americana Style Tips
How the Kimono Evolved Through History
First Date Outfit Tips
How to Style the Perfect Prom Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...