A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Report Questionable Ads Here*  (Read 34541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2011 06:28:10 AM »

Guys, please let's not bicker about the ads.  We're collecting all of the feedback and improving what we can.  I very much understand both sides of the fence (why some don't want to see an ad widget in that position and why some are upset reading some of the replies on this topic).  Let's all take a step back from the emotional aspect of the words shared here and get back to the technical improvements that jungrrl and myself can relay and improve for all of you.

We appreciate ALL of the support we're given -- the feedback such as this thread, the FOC subscribers, the Moderators for their hours of endless help and everyone participating in and growing our amazzzzzing community.  We know not every change will be accepted 100% with open arms.  We'll never please everyone 24/7.  That's just not realistic, unfortunately.  BUT we are happy to listen to every bit of feedback and compromise where we are able to both technically and from a business standpoint.  We're here for yas as much as possible, I promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2011 07:17:19 AM »

Oh the part where it was running into the post after it is/was some kind of tech problem, it definitely isn't supposed to do that and it's been fixed or is being fixed

When I have the screen text-zoom size set to 100% or 125% the ad placement is ok, but when I have set to 150% it doesn't resize right compared to the rest of the screen, because it almost totally covers the next post. This might be more an issue with my laptop more than anything, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. (Windows 7, IE8 - I haven't tried it on another computer with a different setup)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011 07:18:15 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2011 08:23:10 AM »

I just had to send HUGS & LOVE to the Craftster's Crew!!! Kiss

I love this site!  Most everyone is so supportive & kind.

And the craftster's ads don't bother me a bit. (except now I have a craving for hot dogs!)

Finally, MareMare, I love your sig! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2011 08:46:51 AM »

Oh the part where it was running into the post after it is/was some kind of tech problem, it definitely isn't supposed to do that and it's been fixed or is being fixed

When I have the screen text-zoom size set to 100% or 125% the ad placement is ok, but when I have set to 150% it doesn't resize right compared to the rest of the screen, because it almost totally covers the next post. This might be more an issue with my laptop more than anything, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. (Windows 7, IE8 - I haven't tried it on another computer with a different setup)

Doooooooooooooood!  I bet that's why it's still running into the next post!  Getting old sucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Mike Jordan
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2011 10:55:01 AM »

Like many things in life, ads like they have on Crafters were created to help sites like this bring in revenue to offset the cost of running the site.  Many sites would not be free or even available if it wasn't for the ads placed on the site.  But there is also a number of valid reasons why ads can be bad. For each page you click on here at Crafters, there are about 20 things that happen between key strokes. Most of it is hidden from the user, but a bunch of tracking cookies are left on your computer and cookies already on your computer from other sites are harvested. This is why the site has gotten so slow. It's also why if you go to Amazon or one of many other sites that also leave tracking cookies, and look at toasters or cameras or books or paint or any number of other things, that when you come on a site like Craftster or bring up Google or Bing or any site that has ads displayed, you will get ads showing the same type items. That's what tracking cookies are for, so they can target their marketing to what you have shown an interest in on other sites.  This is also how sites like this get revenue, for every page you click on with an add from Google, or MSN or Oscer Myers or Dodge or Stauer or any number of other ads placed on those pages, this site gets paid. There is nothing wrong with this most of the time, since it's what keeps a lot of sites more or less free to us users... when it's done in moderation.  I've been on sites that are even worse than Crafter's is, but not many. And if you actually click on one of the ads and buy something, you are going to be in some big marketing computer for life and they will sell that information to other marketing companies.  This is why even if I want something I see in a ad and I know it will help the site, I don't click on it, I'll go to the site directly to get more information.   

This is why it's important that you set your browser to not save cookies or to go in and manually clean your cookies out from time to time. You do have to be careful if you save your login info this way so you are logged in automatically when you come back to the site, but to me, keeping my cookies cleaned out is worth it... and if you don't check, you wouldn't believe how many hundreds and hundreds (even thousands) you have in your browser cookie jar. Wink This is why some sites won't even let you on (they say the site won't work) unless you have cookies turned on for them.

The big problem with these cookies and the whole process of placing and harvesting them, other than just slowing everything down and just being annoying, is that they can be used by the bad guys to do bad things with your computers and pull personal information off your computers that you might not want others to know.  But, because keeping track of where you go and what you do is worth billions to the marketing industry (this is why the Postal Service is going broke, they made their money on junk mail, which has dwindled over the years), it will only get worse for the common users like us that use the internet and sites like this.

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2011 11:10:13 AM »

Good points, Mike!

I would never click on such adds either.
And for the forum members that DO like the adds, they can at least make them more appropriate.

About cookies: I clear my cookies approx. once a week and the last time I did I had over 4000. Yep, that much, in less then a week.

So Mike, is there a way to set my browser (IE eight) to not save cookies, but to keep the login and password ones? I guess I'm asking against better knowledge, but when manually removing my cookies I can opt-out of losing those.
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011 11:14:02 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2011 11:35:42 AM »

I just cleared my cookies. Craftster is much faster now. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2011 11:39:26 AM »

I just cleared my cookies. Craftster is much faster now. Thanks!

Your browser/internet in general should be much faster for you now!  Because I'm online so much throughout the day, I clear mine nightly before I shut down my system.  I use a program that clears cookies, browsing history, my Recycle Bin, etc.  I don't know what I'd do without it!  Actually, I do.  I'd lose my mind. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2011 12:02:26 PM »

Thanks Craftster Crew for being so awesome!

Like I had explained in this thread earlier on, I know much of the ads that appear on here aren't something you control, but they are based on search history, things stored on my computer's cache, and the location I'm pinging the server from. Unfortunately as time goes on, marketers think of new tricks to make their ads more noticeable with the expendables, re-sizing scripts, etc. It happens, and unless you pay monthly to subscribe to a website, you are always going to have them.

Frankly, with all that Craftster is, I'm surprised that there's no subscription fee other than the voluntary FOC. But as a college student and person living on a budget--I want to thank you for not going that route! This is probably the only website I have consistently gone to since 2005.

Actually, I do sometimes visit the sites that are in the ads, I stumbled upon a great online bead store that way! Also, the ads seem to appear less now, and they never appear on the post reply page.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
camelama
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2011 01:07:49 PM »

I'm just truly thankful that you don't do Readers Digest style ads.  I mean, COME ON NOW, who the heck needs 20 pages of MiracleWhip recipes and ads?!?!  LOL

Maybe one of those super coupon-ing people who buy 50 tubs of it at a time because they can get them for 20 cents with these 15 coupons put together....

So THANK YOU for not doing that.  Hee hee.

(dang it, now I want pie with whipped cream on top)(now I just want pie)(PIE)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Justin From Total Drama Action
Creating Multiple Versions Of Your Photo in Camera Raw
How to Draw Jumpy Ghost Face
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...