A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite sewing mags/books?  (Read 1246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chickey
Alaskan blend: cold-pressed, almost undrinkable.

Like, y'know, whatever.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2005 02:27:56 AM »

So what's everybody's favorite sewing book?  How many do you have?  Which ones do you use all the time??  I know you guys have 'em!!

I have three: Sewing 101 (the spiral-bound orange book), Claire Shaffer's Fabric Sewing Guide, and the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing.  They're all pretty awesome, definitely books I wouldn't want to be without.  Smiley

Happy sewing, all!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008 03:53:30 PM by Chickey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not left-handed either." - The Princess Bride
justanyothergurl

Amelie likes cracking creme brulee with a teaspoon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005 09:43:49 AM »

I have the basic simplicity sewing books, one from the 60's and one from the 80's, and then I have an embroidery book, given to me by my mom, and a book on "how to make simple clothes". not sure of the author. The simplicity books are most definetly the most useful. Basic clothing parts and structure, simple tips, and guides to different styles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT MTV

Question Assumptions

"the leprechauns are after my stash"
-bearded guy's shirt at the Common Ground Fair
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007 03:56:04 PM »

Hello lovelies,

I wanted to get input from you all as far as what your favorite sewing magazines and books are. Anything that gives great tips? Particularly anything that's funky.. Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 11:36:00 AM »

I like Threads and Craft magazines.

I collect old sewing books and they are all wonderful.  Vogue, Reader's Digest, Singer, McCalls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
bobbiknits
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 08:21:56 PM »

I am looking to purchase a couple of reference books on sewing, and I thought I would ask all you craftsters for some advice as to which ones to obtain... So please share which books you love and would recommend.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be an adult, not a kid. Hit the toilet, not the lid.
La Maestra

Supreme High Commander of the Asgard fleet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008 09:55:12 PM »

I can almost always figure out what to do using the following sources -

For a stitching/sewing quandary - I most often go to The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing, Singer (2005) Creative Publishing

Or I check The ultimate Sewing Book (Maggi McCormick Gordon)  - this one's heavy on the sewing for home decor.

If you can find Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (1989)  - a few things are outdated, but it's the most comprehensive "how to identify, sew, deal with different fabrics" guide I have.

And then there's the magazines I grab off the racks because they have articles that interest me and answer sewing unknowns.

Good luck in your hunt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wackyjacks rule!
DorrieBelle
Loves to customize dolls found at yard sales !

Pleased to meet you !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 11:52:19 AM »

I've enjoyed More Fabric Savvy, by Sandra Betzina. It's easy to find the fabric you're working with - it's all alphabetized- and flip to the page for tips on needle size, presser foot, and thread to use, and other info. Other times, it's just plain fun to flip through ! There's all sorts of other general sewing info inside.

Oddly, though, the one I keep going back to is one I got for a dollar at a yard sale. It's the New Simplicity Sewing Book, but it really looks like a magazine. It's dated 1979, but I have gotten sooo many good tips out of it. Especially on hand-sewing, which I hate. Best directions on collars I have.

I make a habit of buying almost every sewing book I can find at yard sales, thrift stores, and flea markets, long as I can bring 'em home for a buck or two. Ya never know where the next great tip or 'Ooooh, *that's* how you do it' will come from, so I have books from the 40s and some from last year. Fun 'down time' reading, too.

'10-20-30 Minutes to Sew' is basically a book of sewing tips on various topics from Nancy Zieman and her viewers. Lots of tips on serger use, which I don't have, but I've gotten several good ideas from it.

Don't forget your library ! Mine has dozens of sewing books, and I've learned to avoid the 'Dummies' book and a couple of the hardbacked Singer books. They just didn't work for me ! But they may be just what you need.

Happy hunting !

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008 02:46:46 PM »

I went to the library today & glanced at this section. Mind you I live in a big city, but I was pleased to see nearly every book mentiond in every sewing books thread here. The only one I didn't see was Built by Wendy. As it's a more recent release it's either not there yet or already checked out. They had 2 each of the Vogue/ Butterick, the Readers Digest and Sew U.

The thing about sewing books is yes, you do want to own them, but being able to try before you buy is fantastic Smiley Inter library loans are great if you live in a small community too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008 11:29:37 AM »

I collect older sewing books but I would have to say my favorites are Vogue and Reader's Digest.  They have easy to understand instructions and pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
sewnutzz
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008 08:16:11 AM »

If you want to take your sewing to the next level, get a copy of Carol Ahles' _Fine Machine Sewing_.  I have a first edition, but it is so good, I want the second edition (and it has been out for several years now).  This is my top recommendation.

Simply the Best Sewing Book by Simplicity is good, basic sewing reference book.

If you are into heirloom sewing, any of the books by Martha Pullen.

Magazines I like:

Threads magazine is usually chock full of interesting articles. 
I
f you can get back issues of Sew Stylish (out last year), each issue focused on a particular theme.  The first issue was basic sewing, and despite my experience I picked up a copy because I was so impressed. 

Sew Beautiful and Creative Needle if you are into children's sewing.  Sew Beautiful generally has at least one pattern (multi-sized) in each issue, a real value if you sew for kids.  My purchase decision is dependent on the cute factor...3 or more "Cute!!!s" and I buy it.

Sew News is iffy, sometimes I buy it, sometimes not, depends on what is in it.

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008 05:29:58 AM »

Oddly, though, the one I keep going back to is one I got for a dollar at a yard sale. It's the New Simplicity Sewing Book, but it really looks like a magazine. It's dated 1979, but I have gotten sooo many good tips out of it. Especially on hand-sewing, which I hate. Best directions on collars I have.

I have this book, and I love it!  I looked on ebay, and you can get one for practically nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008 06:13:09 AM »

a few years ago, after seeing me almost in tears (and sometimes actually in tears) my husband bought me a sewing book for xmas. it's called The Perfect Fit. it has 400 how-to photos and they call it the classic guide to altering patterns. there isn't an author credited but it's put out by Creative Publishing International (www.creativepub.com)  i have found this to be an amazing book and even though i have had it for a few years i still pull it out for reference (lucky charm? Smiley)when i am  altering a pattern. very easy to follow. i have others but this is the one i use most.
i also have a subscription to threads and the vogue sewing magazines as well. and browse the other ones on the shelves Wink
happy sewing!
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lynda Obst on Pre-Awareness and Sequels
Oscar Hijuelos Dead At 62
Author and Activist Cornel West on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Novelist Jonathan Franzen on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Author Junot Diaz on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...