A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need recipes for a college friend  (Read 527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bookaholic
« on: September 25, 2008 01:03:42 PM »

She doesn't know how to cook at all, pretty much lol. Her room has an oven but no microwave or toaster. I'm looking for recipes that involve just mixing ingredients together (i.e. salads, pasta, etc) or that use canned food/ mixes. I was going to compile a book of recipes and send it to her. Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Patterns at http://www.ravelry.com/people/bookaholic
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 09:49:38 AM »

The other day my roommate and I made a "shepherd's pie". I was the easiest meal I've ever made We got canned white potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Put it in a deep round tin. Added peas and gravy. You could also add carrots but we chose not to. Then brown some beef in a pan (you can add onions to this too and let them cook with the beef). Then put that in the round tin. Mix it up! For the crust we just used store bought biscuit dough and spread them out on top for the crust. Bake until the crust is fully cooked.

Eggs are always really easy, of course. Fritatas (sp?) are super easy. Just a lot of eggs, veggies, even meat and cheese into a big pan (I think it has to be a cast iron pan so it can go into the oven) and bake until done.

Cooking chicken on a stove is always quick and easy. We made chicken with potatoes one night, and then used the leftovers in the morning for eggs with shredded chicken, cheese, and home fries!

She can get store bought pizza crust (already baked and everything) and then just add toppings and heat in the oven until gooey and delicious.

We also make a lot of baked ziti. It's another one or two pot deal. Make macaroni, drain and add jar sauce. In another pan, brown either beef (or turkey) and/or sausage. Combine them all in a deep tin and mix with mozzarella and ricotta. Super easy! To make it even easier, just leave the meat out.

If she wants to try it, baked tofu is always really easy. Just drain some firm tofu (wrap in a few towels and weigh it down while preparing the marinade) and then cut it into decent chunks. Make a marinade. My favorites are olive oil and pesto (after you marinade this one you can coat it in bread crumbs and either pan fry or bake), as well as soy sauce + a little maple syrup + ketchup + a little garlic powder. Marinade the tofu for however long, bu the longer the better! Bake in a pan for 15-20 minutes, turning the tofu cubes halfway through cooking.

Phew! That was a lot, but this is the sort of stuff I do at school.
These are all pretty easy, even though some of the ideas involve cooking meat, but that's the only "hard part", the rest is just mixing and waiting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008 09:33:22 AM »

I'm a university student too, and I like to cook but I'm lazy and don't do it that often. I like easy things like:

stir fry: throw various vegetables into a frying pan with a touch of oil and either soya sauce or teriyaki (you can obviously put meat chunks in as well but Im a veggie), and trust me it's delicious: apple slices. and the simplest thing ever if she doesn't know how to cook: minute rice. when everything's done just combine on your plate, and add soya/teriyaki as desired! (stir frys are great cause there are unlimited possibilities of combinations and they're totally customizable. you can also try rice noodles but minute rice is easier to cook.)

sandwiches (i hope your friends knows how to make a sndwich, lol) but i have a delicious one that i jut have to share. a friend of mine runs a cafe and he serves this:
toast a bagel(she can use the broiler if there's no toaster, or just not toast it), spread both sides with cream cheese, then a layer of cucumber slices, and then either one huge tomato slice or two smaller ones (depends on size of tomato), add salt and pepper and voila!! its SOOOO good, I drool when I think of them! oh and everything bagels enhance the awesomeness.

also, I just posted this potato thing that's really easy and for one person will last at least 3 days.
 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=270950.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008 07:52:38 AM »

When I was in college YEARS ago, my room mate and I would make the following:
1. Mustard chicken
Slather chicken pieces with mustard, pop into a 350 degrees oven. Turn over after 20 minutes or so. Then cook until the meat begins to separage from the bone. Poke the meat to see if the juices are clear before removing.  We would make a whole pack of these. Wrap them or put them in a tupperware, then use them all week.  So your friend could make 2 or three of these.

I'm not a mustard fan and this is good to me. The mustard taste is not strong at all.

2. Ground Meat mix
 Brown some ground meat (1 or 2 pounds) with chopped onion and garlic. Drain off liquid. Let cool then store in freezer bags in "one meal" sizes.  For your friend, maybe a couple of cups.  Then you can make spaghetti by mixing the mix with sauce in a pan on the stove. Make some spaghetti and then voila! quick and easy.

With the chicken, you can simply warm up and eat with side of veggies or debone and mix with your favorite pasta, veggie and some condensed "cream of....." soup. Easy peasy casserole! Mix the meat, cooked pasta and veggie in a pot cook until warm and bubbly. May have to add a little water to the pot. Add additional things like parmesan cheese, other veggies, or other spices.

Mac and Cheese dinners:
Add chicken and veggie
Add a can of tuna and chopped celery. (my husband would add a chopped boiled egg as well)

Quesadillas:
Heat a lightly oiled pan with low to medium heat. Gather your meat, favorite cheese and other stuff (sliced onion, mushrooms, thawed and drained spinach (couple of table spoons is all you need)).  Put a flour tortilla in pan. put about a 1/4 cup of meat on one side. Top with cheese and one or two or all of your other stuff. Fold over the tortilla and let it warm up a little, then carefully flip the quesadilla using the folded side. Let it warm a little until the tortilla is a little browned.

Buy the little packs of frozen veggies. They are perfect for singles. You only need a 1/4 cup of veggies per meal. They're cheap too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Catan Seafarers Board Game
Settlers of Catan
Ladies Behind the Beat .TV - Gail Jhonson - Interview
Learn About the Marionette Puppet
How to Lip Synchronize a Puppet Properly
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...