A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I love you, scratchboard :o)  (Read 2473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008 10:28:22 AM »

Note:  if this post is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry!

So I found a little kit that came with a 4x6 scratchboard and one of those scratchboard tools (that probably have a name and I'm just too inexperienced with this medium to know it)  Tongue The kit was to scratch out this lame, lame sailboat.  It was on clearance, though, so I bought it.  I opened it, promptly ditched the pattern, and set to work.  I had saved a really cute postage stamp from a letter.  It had a little guy holding a giant heart and running across a field. 

I sketched a variation of that little guy (only mine is making the "I love you" sign), and transferred it to my clayboard by rubbing the back of the sketch with pencil and then placing that side on the board.  I pressed lightly on the side I'd drawn on, and once the whole thing was transferred I threw away the sketch.  And scratched.  And scratched.  I like any craft that involves a little bit of destruction  Grin 

That's all that was planned on this.  The rest, I kind of made up as I went along.  I was able to achieve some really cool textures that I don't think translate well to pictures.  I realize that scratchboards are usually used for realism, but I'm not a conformist like that...this was just more my style.  I really enjoyed this medium, and I am definitely going to refine my technique.  This was fun, though, and a really welcome diversion from studying!

With flash:

Here's one without flash.  It made the india ink look a crazy sienna color, but hey...I think you can kind of see more of the definition.  Oh, and these pics are taken without any fixative so you can ignore the weird scuffs on the ink:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thelostboys
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008 10:32:53 AM »

i love it. its beautiful keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheezy Breezy
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008 11:57:55 AM »

this is great!! you did an amazing job on it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008 01:01:52 PM »

Very nice, it's so whimsical and romantic!  I love your mummy-looking guy the most, he look's very determined- even without a face.  Great job- way better than a lame sailboat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
ninjanator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008 02:06:28 PM »

i love this so much Smiley great bubbles and hand gesture Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008 02:12:55 PM »

I love your mummy-looking guy the most, he look's very determined- even without a face.

you know what's funny?  I started with some general form and was scratching along, then decided against realism and just started drawing random lines...I ended up with what looked like socks and just kept going.  Hooray for creative risks and mummy-looking results  Cheesy

Thank you all for your comments!  I'm glad you like it...the recipient really did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Summ3r
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008 10:23:56 AM »

this is so different in a good way...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting makes my world go round...

SuMm3R
MsJamieLeigh
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008 07:03:31 PM »

Scratch board is so fun!! I love doing it, but I haven't since high school.

Where did you find it? I don't think our craft stores carry it, I could be wrong though! haha.

And yours is totally cute to, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious.
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008 04:00:12 PM »

Where did you find it? I don't think our craft stores carry it, I could be wrong though! haha.

I found this one at Hobby Lobby.  It was randomly in the clearance section...perhaps it's with the drawing stuff?  But you can find them other places, like art supply stores.  This one was made by the brand Claybord.  (I spelled that right.)  Try looking online if you can't find any near you.  I haven't looked for more because I know that I'll just get myself distracted from what I should be doing Grin

And I totally agree with you, it's lots of fun!  I'm definitely going to make more!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008 04:01:14 PM by bunsenhoneydew13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsJamieLeigh
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008 07:07:51 PM »

Thanks so much! I plan on going and looking for some as soon as I get time, as if that will ever happen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...