A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie with photos to share  (Read 1386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Javalita
« on: September 24, 2008 09:30:51 AM »

I've enjoyed lurking around Craftster and seeing all the things going on around here.  It has been fun. 

I've been working with mixed media collage for only about 9 months.  I am trying not to focus on getting it perfect/right - just trying things out and seeing what happens.  I have found that ATCs are a great way for me to experiment...minimal cost, minimal pressure and a great way to use extra paint if I am working on something bigger.

Here are the ATCs that I have done so far.  Let me know your thoughts.  Right now I don't add much text because some of those "touchy feelie" type phrases sorta bug me.  But I am going to experiment more with it - right now I only add words if they strike me at the time.

My first one - I would do more scratching on this to hide the paper.  Or image transfer would be even better, but I am just getting into that now:

My experiment with wings.  Not my style, but figured I'd try it out with a pic of my mom.

Classic use of extra paint as I am working on something bigger:

Made this one to copy onto scrabble tile pendant:

A friends dog:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

panthermoon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 05:12:34 PM »

I like those  Smiley my favorites are the first and last one, but I like them all. Not everybody puts words on them. I usually do, but a lot of the time it may only be one word.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
ashleywalker33
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009 01:39:15 PM »

The heart reminds me a little of Jim Dine's work, as he uses that image a lot. The way you handle paint is different, but he might be neat to look up if you haven't heard of him yet. Have you ever done a series of the same image/composition that you paint/draw/watercolor in different ways?
I also liked the dog a lot. It reminds me of a children's book illustration or something similarly whimsical.

Keep up the great work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009 09:31:07 PM »

The heart reminds me a little of Jim Dine's work, as he uses that image a lot. The way you handle paint is different, but he might be neat to look up if you haven't heard of him yet. Have you ever done a series of the same image/composition that you paint/draw/watercolor in different ways?
I also liked the dog a lot. It reminds me of a children's book illustration or something similarly whimsical.

Thanks Ashley.  I'll look up Jim Dine - I'm not familiar with him.  I like the idea of doing a series of the same image...I'll add that to the list of future "to do" projects. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009 07:21:17 AM »

WOW!  I like every one of them!!  Love the idea of your "cleaning off your brush" technique.  I often over-think my backgrounds which is why most of them suck. I so wish I had gotten the painter gene.

Right now I don't add much text because some of those "touchy feelie" type phrases sorta bug me.

That made me laugh. It's my feeling too but haven't expressed it this well, thanks!  I make cards at the moment and none of them have sentiments inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
JanelleJ
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009 09:30:30 PM »

I don't even like dogs, but that last one is awesome! I love all of them, actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009 10:16:52 PM »

I don't even like dogs, but that last one is awesome! I love all of them, actually.

Funny you say that Janelle.  I do like dogs but that particular card has been stuck in my weak brain for weeks now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
Javalita
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009 08:55:24 AM »

Thanks!  The last one is my favorite too - I am using a lot more layers and scratching/gouging.  It is fun and I like the effect.

I did a cute house and posted under misc.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=298160.0

Features dogs too, but not the scratching as much.  But I did a faux tin roof that came out nice (I think).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009 05:38:09 PM »

The house is wonderful.  Now I've got that song that says "Tinnnnn Roof - rusted" in my head, lol.  OH OH, it's called Love Shack and DUH, that's prolly why you named it that. hahahahahahaha, give me a minute and I'll see the whole picture!

Thanks for contributing to the Rescue group.  I'm very active in building a DogPark in our area.  We have fundraisers this month, May, June, July, August, September.  Wanna' come over  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chai-Spiced Pumpkin Pudding
Learn to Make a Cookie Dough Confetti Brownie Cake
Eat the Trend: How to Make the Wonut
Orange, Pistachios and Honey Dessert Recipe
Root Beer Float - Unplugged
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...