A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: y do kids costumes suck?  (Read 4904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Seika
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008 06:24:43 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of trick-or-treaters don't even bother wearing costumes any more?  This really bothers me...I mean couldn't they try just a little!?!

I know around here the general consensus is no costume=no candy.  Which rocks cause anywhere else, as a teenager, I don't think they'd give me anything Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do you realize that your insatiable pull for all things deadly was strong enough to recover a pack of mutant canines from extinction?  If we could bottle your luck, we'd have a weapon of mass destruction on our hands." --Edward, Eclipse
eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008 06:33:26 PM »

I know around here the general consensus is no costume=no candy.  Which rocks cause anywhere else, as a teenager, I don't think they'd give me anything Tongue

I confess that I'm miserly with un-costumed trick-or-treaters.  I give them a single lollypop and save all the chocolate for the kids in costume.  If someone is wearing a particularly clever homemade get up I give them lots of candy!  ...age is irrelevant after 8pm Smiley 

Once when I was a kid (like 15 years ago!) we had some soldiers show up at our door fairly late with pillowcases.  When my sis asked what they were for Halloween, one of them answered "Landshark, Ma'am!".  We were so amused that we gave them all our remaining candy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008 07:54:41 PM »

My 3 year old keeps changing her mind, so I'm hesitant to get started - last year she was a ladybug - red T-shirt, sewn on black spots from felt, and an upside-down Y of felt down the middle of the back for "wings" line  - two extra legs sewn into the side seams (pipe cleaners inside felt tubes so they stuck out stiffly), black pants/long-sleeved turtleneck- cheap foam visor with antennae stuck through and glued on (pipe cleaners with puff balls.)  Black shoes.

Did it the day before Halloween for pennies ...  boy was she happy, and a total hit everywhere!  Bugs are just cute, no matter what you do.  Especially when their antennae bounce when they move.

I'm thinking cowgirl 'cuz she has a lot of the riggin' already, and likes to yell "Yeehaw!" - what I need to do is get one of those "no sew" or "little or no sew" costume books that show a million different tunics and additional pieces that can be whipped together in a flash to make a "look" - after all, she's only going to wear it once, and not on a runway!  She could even help!

Or - maybe the Paperbag Princess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008 05:35:41 AM »

My 3 year old keeps changing her mind, so I'm hesitant to get started -...

This is why last year, my friend's little girl was a fairy-princess-pirate-cat.  All four, at once, it was utterly fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
La Maestra
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008 07:43:23 PM »

My 3 year old keeps changing her mind, so I'm hesitant to get started -...

This is why last year, my friend's little girl was a fairy-princess-pirate-cat.  All four, at once, it was utterly fantastic.

Soooo - I'm looking at a fairy-cowgirl-dinosaur-horse.....interesting concept...  I'll have to think about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
streetjunkie
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008 08:29:43 PM »

When I was 7 i went as the paper bag princess.  It was my favourate costume by far.  My mom got one of those brown burlap sacks, and cut out arm and head holes, i wore that with a brown turtleneck, brown tights, and my runners, covered in brown paper.  And then, so no one thought that I was being a log, I wore a crown. It was super easy, and everyone was impressed that I read books.

Also I went as a munchkin from the Wisard of Oz a couple years back. It was a simple costume, with a too short babydoll, white tights, bright pink flats, my hair in two pigtails at the side of my head, and a HUGE lollipop. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tero
Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008 09:11:16 PM »

I have two little girls and although one year I did have to give into the princess thing we did all homemade and same with the year we had to do a fairy. Both years my daughter was not happy by the end of the night because she was one of 10,000 fairies. Same with the year of the princess.

We are strict no store bought costumes and we try to do costumes with almost no money put into it as well.

Last year one daughter was a lion, NO money into it at all. I used all recycled materials. The other daughter was a peacock with a working tail. We did have to buy the feathers but the rest of it was all recycled material.

The best costume we have done for the girls so far was my youngest one wanted to be an eyeball. It was a SCREAM !!! Sooo incredibly funny and very very easy to make.

This year they want to be a gnome and a mushroom house. Not sure how I am going to pull off the mushroom house but here we go. Smiley

Good luck and I am loving reading all of the Halloween ideas and stories in this thread. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
alli.illektro
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008 08:23:13 AM »

kids are fantastic. mushroom house?! haha, what the hell!? Smiley forget about kids costumes being too sluty, why is it so hard to find an adult woman's costume that doesnt look like stripper wear!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008 11:28:14 AM »

I must see the mushroom house...that's the best idea, ever...I forsee a hat in your daughter's future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
karmellah
Scrapbooker

Boo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008 12:51:13 PM »

i remember many years ago, i went to my landlords hosue around holloween time and her son was miserablebecause shewas forcing him to be something that he didnt want to be. As I climbed up the stairs I saw a big thing of cardboard. I asked my landlord what that was and she replied, Oh his costume. She proceeds to pull it out slip it on him and Like the little kid in A Christmas story who couldnt move his arms, he turned around and he was a giant peice of toast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matt Ruby on How Social Media Transforms Standup Comedy Career
Matt Ruby on Creative Writing and Editing Advice for Artists
Matt Ruby on How to Improve Comic Timing
Matt Ruby on How Flow State of Mind Elevates Stage Performance
Matt Ruby on How to Control Comedy Voice Entertaining Audiences
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...