A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: y do kids costumes suck?  (Read 4500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

L

skinned up knees and salty lips

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2008 10:15:56 PM »

seriously??

I thought maybe this year i would get away with not making a costumes for my daughter

BUT

i searched and searched for girls age 7-8 all there is is fairies, princesses, hannah bleeping montana, cheerleaders, high school musical crap....

UGH im so fed up...
i want something good, creative, noticeable by her friends, approved by the close minded school officials

please any help would be greatly appreciated. even mother/daughter costumes is cool.
I try to stay away from super cutesy for halloween...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog. read often. comment more.
<A HREF="http://www.apessimistsview.blogspot.com">

you taste so sweet but i cant eat the same thing everyday...
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 06:40:21 AM »

What are her tastes?  Does she like story book characters?  (Alice, Little Red, Dorothy)  Or does she like spooky, traditional Halloween?  (Witches, ghosts, mummies, etc...)  Easily thrifted costumes are a gypsy/fortune teller, a bride, Miss America, a scarecrow, and a zombie.  Togas are also easily made from sheets (decent ones, even) and can be accessorized so that she can be any number of Greek or Roman figures.  Animals also tend to be easily accomplished.  My advice:  talk to her about what she wants to be.  Then check out your local thrift shop/second hand store with her choice(s) in mind.  Oh, poodle skirts are insanely easy to make, too.  Good luck!

And my God, what is with the Hannah Montana costumes?  Really?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 03:24:28 PM »

I grew up in a strict, no cheesy store-bought or cutesy costume, or anything slutty tradition.  Mom was pretty adamant, and so am I.  I was always a witch, and my little sister was always a devil.  Typecasting?  Thanks Mom! We had glitter and rhinestones and makeup in the right places and doses and we looked scary and kind of pretty.  I loved it. 

One year my daughter wanted to be a princess, so I made her a black cat-princess outfit as a compromise.  We were both happy.

I absolutely despise the mini-halloween slut costumes, and ditto the Hannah Montanas, but there are some kind of fun witch costumes available this year, and there's a zombie cheerleader that's age-appropriate and cutely scary, and a dragon costume that comes back lately each year that's really cute.   

I'm glad young moms are standing up against the commercial onslaught of hideous Halloween costumes and the crappification of my favorite holiday!  Good luck, I hope you both have a wonderful, fun and spooky night   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008 04:04:51 PM »

#1 What does she want to be?
By that age I think she can decide.

#2 If she doesn't know what she wants to be, what does she like? Does she have a favorite tv show? a favorite book?

What about a cat or some other type of animal, a devil, a superhero? A pirate? An olympic gymnast? A zombie? A pumpkin? A ghost? Non-disney mermaid? Doctor? Lawyer? lol I'd love to see a kid come to my door with a mini suit and a mini briefcase. A skeleton?

In high school I was a zombie mermaid.
Lets see as a kid one year I was little bo peep, another I was wendy from casper, I think I was a 50s poodle skirt thing.
My mom always helped with the class halloween party. She would always be a gypsy and have a crystal ball and tell vague fortunes.

Although I have seen hsm, if a kid came to my door with this costume I would have no idea who she was dressed up as, I would however recognize belle or cinderella.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karmellah
Scrapbooker

Boo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008 04:12:54 PM »

i have always done my own costumes, never store bought. maybe an axces, but never the full thing and with me i dont believe in being the same thing twice. lets see if i remember some....

A glowworm (my only store bought. rememebr those plastic smocks and the masks lol)
A Princess
hula girl
Gypsy
Cleopatra (The frigging hair dye spray made my tub black)
Doctor
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Vampire Victim
Baby Spice
Drama queen
im having a brain freeze right now though. I know ive done more
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chattyKathi
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008 06:57:50 PM »

I am so glad to see this thread! I have always made my kids costumes (except once) and I am really not THAT crafty and usually have no money,lol I make costumes from stuff I have or can get at garage sales. Here's a list of what my kids have been.
Son- Ghost, made from daddy's white undershirt covered with cut up white sheers.
        a lion, made from an old pikachu costume someone gave me I crocheted a hat then weaved in yarn for the mane. made small ones for wrists.
         made a "superAustin" costume out of an old red ninja costume, I stitch witchery-ed a superman style thingy on the front and wrote Super Austin on it, also made a mask for his eyes. stuffed the arms and chest for muscles. and a cape made from the same fabric as the super thingy on the front.
           a scarecrow, and last year he was Frankenstien which was wicked easy  made from a green suit I found at a garage sale and a black Tshirt I had on hand. I made a paper mache;' head for him too, it was great! This year we are going with dracula, easy peasy, black pants white shirt, black cape. (found some great fabric at walmart for two dollars a yard!
     For my daughter she has been a princess the kind with the tall pointy hat. used alot of tulle on that one! lol

she wore the lion costume too, little red riding hood,last year was Snow princess made from a white bathrobe with glitter glued on it and I fashioned a crown with lots of  crystally pony beads.

oh I forgot the christmas tree! I took an old turtleneck and cut the arms off it then made a bajillion  green popmpoms from yarn and hot glued them on decorated it with tiny ornaments I found at a garage sale and she had a star on her head(lconnected to a head band. and my son also was a mummy made from a white bed sheet and hot glued on shirt and pants and a baseball cap I cut the brim off of.

this year she wants to be a bat so I got a black shirt at the thrift store and sewed on a skirt someone gave me, velvet no less, after cutting it up the seam.spread it out  for her wings and then a black pair of knit pants! all I have to do is cut the fabric I have already sewed to look like bat wings and use the extra material for her ears.

thats not all of them but I am having brain fade.

Make your own costumes is easy. Just look to see what you have around the house and what you might need to gt to finish it. Garage sales are great, thrift stores etc.

Good luck! I hope I have given some ideas to you!

sorry for such a long post. This is my passion!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 07:20:16 PM by chattyKathi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
fannydimples

we are but mortals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008 02:06:58 PM »

I HATE store bought kids costumes!!! I got lucky because my son never wants to be anything we see in the stores lol. Last year he wanted to be a hitch Hiking ghost ala' disney. I made him a pair of knickers and he had knee socks with an old tux jacket we found at a thrift store. I fogged out the jacket with white hair spray dye stuff to make it look ghostly. Bought him a short top hat and covered it with spider webs. Completed the look with a long stick and a hanky bag at the end. He looked way too cool lol. This year he is going as a zombie cowboy. I'd say pick your kiddos brain for ideas, mine always surprises me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008 03:23:42 PM »

I HATE store bought kids costumes!!! I got lucky because my son never wants to be anything we see in the stores lol. Last year he wanted to be a hitch Hiking ghost ala' disney. I made him a pair of knickers and he had knee socks with an old tux jacket we found at a thrift store. I fogged out the jacket with white hair spray dye stuff to make it look ghostly. Bought him a short top hat and covered it with spider webs. Completed the look with a long stick and a hanky bag at the end. He looked way too cool lol. This year he is going as a zombie cowboy. I'd say pick your kiddos brain for ideas, mine always surprises me.

aww...id love to see a pic of last years costume!! It sounds really awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008 03:29:18 PM »

karmellah, great ideas...ill pass them onto the little one in hopes to spark her imagination!!!

Thesingingllamas, yea i dont know how that could be a costume. Theres no creativity in todays costumes.

chattyKathi, i was actually thinking about a ninja. She draws them all the time so maybe ill put a twist on it.

Thanks guys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

string theory
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008 06:13:03 PM »

I have a problem with store bought costumes as well... not only because they are cheesy, expensive and poorly made, but since we live in phoenix and it is always about 90 degrees at halloween... and all of the costumes for toddlers and babies (my kids are 3 and 1) are plush and extremely warm. My son's first halloween, we bought him a costume from old navy that was just precious (a teddy bear) but we had to put it on him, take pictures, and take it off so that he wouldn't die of heat exhaustion!
  This year, my son (3) said that we should all be pirates... I think it is going to be hilarious to be a troop of pirates walking down the street!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blank Confession Book Trailer Part 3
Bert Fink Talks About The Sound of Music Pop-Up Book
Alan Snow Talks About Here Be Monsters
Rebecca Chance Talks About Divas
Reynolds Price Reveals Who He Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...