A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to change presser feet?  (Read 702 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaybee
« on: September 23, 2008 04:02:40 PM »

I bought a used Singer Fashion Mate 22C a few months ago to teach myself some sewing.

It came with this foot, which I think is a zig-zag foot which also does straight stitching.

I've been using just this foot so far. I wanted to learn some more new things, so I went and bought 3 more feet. The guy at the store asked me what kind of foot shank I have - the snap-on kind or the screw kind. I told him I didn't know as I have never changed it before. So he checked my model number in his book and gave me these feet.

Zipper foot:

Gathering foot:

Rolled hem foot:

After reading up a little, I figured out that my machine uses both snap-on and screw kind. So the zipper one fit fine (it was a snap-on).

But I can't attach the other two (gathering and rolled hem feet) because I think they are the screw on kinds, and I can't remove the shank after removing the screw:

The shank is too tight. I applied some machine oil and used all my strength to get it off but it's not budging. Is it because its an old machine? How do I get it off so that I can attach the other feet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funtobewith
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008 04:11:59 PM »

you might be able to find a downloadable manual - thats my only suggestion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
jaybee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008 04:31:02 PM »

I have a downloaded manual, which says that I can change the screw-on type feet by removing the screw and the shank should just drop off by itself. But in my machine, the shank is 'stuck'...and I don't know if it's because it's an old machine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 04:48:06 PM »

You could try some WD-40, which is the classic solution for stuck metal parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
elijor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008 04:49:53 PM »

I'm sure the is just stuck. Maybe some WD-40 squirted on and allowed to soak. Put a few layers of paper towel or something under so the WD-40 doesn't drip down into the bobbin area.

That last foot is not a rolled hem foot. It is a "roller foot" that is sometimes used for leather and maybe vinyl. A rolled hem foot has what looks sort of like a cork screw at the center that causes the fabric to "roll" over on itself right in front of the needle. Then the needle comes down and makes a seam right in the middle of the "rolled" edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 08:30:15 PM »

I'm going to try some WD40. Thanks for the tip!

I checked the package that the 3rd foot came in, and it says Roller foot! Hmm...I asked the guy for a rolled hem foot though, I might have to bring that one back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008 07:52:00 AM »

I agree that the shank is just stuck.

I would be very leery of this salesman!! He gave you one wrong foot at what price? It could have been an honest mistake but be cautions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatieD
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 02:57:59 PM »

I'd suggest keeping the roller foot.  It will be far more useful than the rolled hem foot.  I've used my rolled hem foot once, to do a sample in a sewing class, and even the teacher said that they are annoying, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Redbook Magazine’s Beauty Epiphanies
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into 1990s Madonna
Prabal Gurung Fall 2014 NY Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
DIY: The Benefits of Olive Oil
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...