A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
835 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to change presser feet?  (Read 650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaybee
« on: September 23, 2008 04:02:40 PM »

I bought a used Singer Fashion Mate 22C a few months ago to teach myself some sewing.

It came with this foot, which I think is a zig-zag foot which also does straight stitching.

I've been using just this foot so far. I wanted to learn some more new things, so I went and bought 3 more feet. The guy at the store asked me what kind of foot shank I have - the snap-on kind or the screw kind. I told him I didn't know as I have never changed it before. So he checked my model number in his book and gave me these feet.

Zipper foot:

Gathering foot:

Rolled hem foot:

After reading up a little, I figured out that my machine uses both snap-on and screw kind. So the zipper one fit fine (it was a snap-on).

But I can't attach the other two (gathering and rolled hem feet) because I think they are the screw on kinds, and I can't remove the shank after removing the screw:

The shank is too tight. I applied some machine oil and used all my strength to get it off but it's not budging. Is it because its an old machine? How do I get it off so that I can attach the other feet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funtobewith
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008 04:11:59 PM »

you might be able to find a downloadable manual - thats my only suggestion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
jaybee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008 04:31:02 PM »

I have a downloaded manual, which says that I can change the screw-on type feet by removing the screw and the shank should just drop off by itself. But in my machine, the shank is 'stuck'...and I don't know if it's because it's an old machine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 04:48:06 PM »

You could try some WD-40, which is the classic solution for stuck metal parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
elijor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008 04:49:53 PM »

I'm sure the is just stuck. Maybe some WD-40 squirted on and allowed to soak. Put a few layers of paper towel or something under so the WD-40 doesn't drip down into the bobbin area.

That last foot is not a rolled hem foot. It is a "roller foot" that is sometimes used for leather and maybe vinyl. A rolled hem foot has what looks sort of like a cork screw at the center that causes the fabric to "roll" over on itself right in front of the needle. Then the needle comes down and makes a seam right in the middle of the "rolled" edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 08:30:15 PM »

I'm going to try some WD40. Thanks for the tip!

I checked the package that the 3rd foot came in, and it says Roller foot! Hmm...I asked the guy for a rolled hem foot though, I might have to bring that one back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008 07:52:00 AM »

I agree that the shank is just stuck.

I would be very leery of this salesman!! He gave you one wrong foot at what price? It could have been an honest mistake but be cautions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatieD
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 02:57:59 PM »

I'd suggest keeping the roller foot.  It will be far more useful than the rolled hem foot.  I've used my rolled hem foot once, to do a sample in a sewing class, and even the teacher said that they are annoying, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wing Details
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wings
Face Paint Tools
How to Face Paint a Butterfly
Finishing Face Paint Touches on the Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...