A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kittens and Catnip  (Read 911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizi
« on: September 23, 2008 01:35:56 PM »

Hi!

I'm getting my new kitten Maggie on Saturday and just bought a 'starter kit' for kittens which included a catnip toy that I was going to rip up and put the catnip into some little felt toys that I'll make. But then I thought I remembered someone saying on here that catnip isn't safe for little kittens (mine will be 7weeks old).

I just wondered if anyone could help clear this up for me and also if anyone had some ideas for safe toys I could leave her with whilst I'm at uni (5 hours a week + travelling time).

Thanks! xxxxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagged
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008 08:50:26 PM »

It's not that catnip isn't safe, it's just that catnip has no effect on kitties below about 9 months of age (some sites say 3-4 months, though).   

When my cats were kittens, they liked those jingle bell balls.  They also liked a track-ball toy, which is sort of donut-shaped and has a ball that can be batted around the circle. 

If you wanted to make something for your kitten, perhaps it would like a bed.  Your kitten might enjoy soft toys that are not made with catnip.  I prefer using polar fleece rather than felt because some cats, particularly siamese, will eat felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 12:43:51 PM »

Hello!

I had the same question, so I asked my vet. He said absolutly NO cat nip under the age of 2 months. It can cause neuological damage. The thing with cat nip toys though is usaully they are sented with cat nip, or it's inside, so they arn't actually eating anything. Therefore they should be fine. Though, yes, probably won't do anything for the little guy until they get bigger.

Be really really really careful with what you leave around for the kitten to play with when you are not around. I made this mistake the hard way! Even toys that seem safe from the pet store often have little things that can come off or bits that can be swallowed. I found that pipe cleaners (with the ends folded over so they don't cut gums) are fun to bat around when they are twisted into balls. He also likes plastic springs (like spiral binding), and they are safe to leave around.

My kitten (he IS siamese) ate a large chunk of my wool roving, a sock and a pom pom I gave him to play with all in one weekend. We know better now what he can and can't play with.

Hope that helps,

Love, doyouloveanapple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
spareGus
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008 05:48:59 PM »

One other thing about catnip is that some cats are crazy over it.  I have a cat that will do anything possible to get to the actual catnip inside the toy, will tear it all apart and eat everything inside just to get it...so I personally cannot buy catnip toys.  So you should definitely watch what she does when you do introduce it to her.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizi
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008 01:55:53 PM »

My kitten's favourite toy is a bit of gold ribbon, a cotton-reel with feathers stuck very securely in it, attached to a wall with some elastic. Mainly she is obsessed with chasing/attacking her own tail, legs, fluff and nothing.

She is mental. xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008 12:09:06 PM »

When my cats were kittens (and sometimes still 7+ years later... lol) their favorite toys were wadded up balls of notebook paper as well as balls of foil. Oh sure, they'd play with the store-bought toys for all of 5 minutes then get bored and never touch them again. *humpf*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Nasi Goreng
Egg Fried Rice Recipe
How to Prepare Noodles in 1 Minute
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...