A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cupcake Bath Bombs....with tutorial  (Read 71963 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , bath_bomb , recipe , tutorial , cupcake , faux_food , hostess_gift  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simplyorganic
My Crafty Addictions

Soaping is my business & business is good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 23, 2008 09:26:40 AM »

I'm doing a tutorial up for these cause I know i'll get asked, lol (IT'S AT THE BOTTOM)

I'm extra happy about these b/c the ones i was doing at first was with whipped soap that would NOT stick to the bombs (due to moisture of the soap) So I figured this way might work!

I tweeked it to my own touch, but i'm happy with the out come.....

Cotton Candy Cupcake Bomb w/ Cherry Lemonaide Icing! DO NOT EAT!!!

Bath bomb ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of baking soda
1/2 cup of Citric Acid
Rice Bran Oil (or any light oil such as grape seed oil or sweet almond oil)
Distilled water

First mix the Baking soda and Citric Acid until the mixture is a smooth powder consistancy. Next you can start to dash in the oil and also your fragrance or EO of choice until it feels like "wet sand". Once that's done (what I do) is began to drizzle in the Distilled water but be careful on how you do it because you do not want your mixture to start to fizz too much. Drizzle then cover the water quickly and mix.
Your final product should feel like moldable wet sand. Take a little of it and start to fill in your mini cupcake cups. Make sure it's packed in tight :-)

Frosting ingredients:

To be honest with the frosting ingredient and directions you can feel free to check out Wiltons.com and see their tutorial on how to make frosting. But I will explain to the best of my abilities on how I do it.
2 1/2 tablespoons of Dry Egg Whites or Easier put Merengue from any Michaels ($7)
4 tablespoons of warm distilled water
1/4 tspncream of tartar
1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of SLS (foaming agent) but you can omitt if you do not like
4-6 drops of fragrance
Piping bags and nozzles (i use  #32)

So what I do is grab a bowl and take my Merengue Powder and warm water and mix it up. Then I add my Cream of Tartar and SLS to the mixture. Be mindful of the SLS and breathing it in, it's not a good thing to do. Once those things are mixed I then take my powdered sugar and add it in. Take a blender and get to blending!!! You wan to bled for about 7 minutes tops to make sure everything is mixed all together. If your noticing your mixture is too dry add DROPS of water to thin it out a little and if it's too wet then slowly add powdered sugar. You want your over all mixture to be fluffy and able to form peaks (meaning when to stop your blender and take it out it keeps it's shape) Als blend in your fragrance at this point. all together you should be able to touch your mixture and residue sticks to your finger.
Next work fast to get the mixture in your piping bag and start icing your cupcakes. If you take to long it will set up and you have to add more drops of water to form peaks again.
Feel free to add any decorations you choose to and your done!
Let set up for 48-72 hours.

I make mines this way so that people have a choice of being able to pop the top off and use the bath bomb if they have worries about the sugar in thier tubs :-) If if they don't mind it they can crumble the icing under water and have for tons of bubbles!

(i can't promise you, your will turm out like this but it's the starting point!)
I do not have a reference to any person or site but the names I used above in the ingredients and where you can get them. Everything is on how I make them the basic way and the way I use my ingredients. I do hope this helps.

Edited * I just wanted to add once again that this recipe is what works for ME. I have palyed around with it to see what works for the batches I produce which are small.*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009 05:57:57 PM by simplyorganic - Reason: to make sure people knwo this is what works for me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pickled_peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008 09:30:15 AM »

Holy crap! I thought those were real cupcakes! Cheesy Those are awesome! Thanks for the tute Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps Cheesy

My Etsy ... www.nutsaboutcrochet13.etsy.com

Follow me on Tumblr for all of my crochet projects!
http://whenidreamidreaminyarn.tumblr.com
causeeffect
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008 09:32:29 AM »

wow they look so real!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evrythngsblue
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 09:40:44 AM »

They look SWEET! Thanks for the tutorial! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolatebutton
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008 10:00:55 AM »

i thought they were cupcakes!!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 10:34:06 AM »

Wow.  I kept seeing these on the front page, only to avoid clicking because I'm hungry and didn't want to see pastries...go figure I was wrong! LoL  Beautiful.

And the tute was a HUGE plus!  Although I'm more likely to buy something like this because I'm too lazy to do it myself.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008 10:38:12 AM »

LOL- they look delicious!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
hamiltontankgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008 11:39:30 AM »

These look wickedly real!!!  Shocked

I've done bombs before and it always annoyed me if you ended up putting too much water into the mix and then tried to mold it, it tended to foam and lose it's molded shape.  Undecided
Yours looks much easier to do because you've got the paper cup to keep the bomb in!

I will definitely have to try these for christmas gifts!!

Mucho thanks for the tut as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008 11:48:48 AM »

great cupcakes..and thanks for the tute..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008 12:03:43 PM »

I'm looking at these thinking Yumm why everyone got to be posting cupcakes! Then I see  "1oz SLS (foaming agent also OPTIONAL)
Witch Hazel" think HUH and look at the Title, haha.

THese are cool though! And still yummy looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Measure the Temperature of a Holiday Turkey
Carving a Holiday Turkey
Learn how to Plate a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Make Tzatziki Sauce for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Lamb Chops for a Romantic Dinner
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...