A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Veggie Garden  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2005 05:51:51 PM »

I've always had a vegetable garden, except for 2 years ago.  We accepted an offer on our place the beginning of May, then moved in late June.  Last year, I had a patch tilled in my new yard.  I had the worst garden ever.  All of my tomato's wilted and died.  My pepers didn't wilt, but they didn't produce either.  My cukes, melons and squash rotted, as did the broccoli and beans.  My neighbor said the ground was poisoned by a black walnut tree that grows about 20' away, but not my yard, or his.  Has anyone heard of this before?
I'm debating wheather to have a different spot tilled, or to just forget the whole thing and just grow a couple of tomato's in a pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005 10:40:08 PM »

Try testing your soil's pH (simple test kits can be found at a garden shop), and then correcting with lime or whatever (the garden store or the kit can tell you how to correct it).  Also make sure there is enough nutrients in the soil, by tilling in manure and/or compost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005 07:13:16 AM »

I should try that.  Funny thing is, the flower beds in other parts of my yard thrived.  The only differance, seams to be that black walnut tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squid_ink

what is it about squid that octopis our mind so?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005 07:49:10 AM »

Roots of Black Walnut Trees leave something called juglone  in the soil...  Angry

Sad You can't grow cabbage, eggplant, pepper, potato, tomato
 Smiley you CAN grow lima beans; snap beans (very pretty! Lots of flowers) ; beets; corn; onions; parsnips

Read the first link, and do a google on 'juglone' and 'black walnut'. I think it said you can have a garden 50 feet away from the roots. But if it's a/was a big tree... Huh

My suggestion..look around for an agricultural cooperative extention program where you can send soil samples. They may be able to help you out with suggestions as to whether the problem can be corrected somehow.. I do this every other year in my garden.

Also, try planing 'maters in containers.. I always have a few in old sheetrocking pots (5 gallon) on my deck for easy access if I'm to lazy to drag my sorry self to the garden.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

when nuclear dust has extinguished their betters
will turtles surviving wear people neck sweaters?
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005 08:12:33 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Actually, I think the rabbits took care of my beans.  And I did have radishes, lettuce, and snap peas.  Loosing the tomato's and peppers broke my heart.  The darn walnut tree belong to some farmer on top of the hill, don't know who.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 03:40:53 PM »

Why not try a raised garden? Get some stones or those brick thingys from Home depot or wherever and make your own soil mix for the veggies.  That's what I'm going to do this year here in Cali, even though I had a wonderful overly abundant crop of tomatoes, eggplant, yellow squash, sugar baby watermelons, cantalope and peppers grown randomly in my flowerbed!! I'd never grown veggies before, so I just kind of stuck seedlings in the ground and was pleasantly surprised! This year I'd like to have better control of the garden so that I don't get stuck or stung when I'm trying to harvest some dinner!!  Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
lutheranchick
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005 07:51:52 AM »

If you get in touch with that farmer, maybe he/she will let you have some black walnuts to make up for your trouble-- they are yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005 08:34:56 AM »

Actually, I do keep the walnuts that fall into my yard.  About 1/4th of my lot is a sidehill, above my lot line, the hill is heavly wooded.  So I get a lot of birds at my feeder that I wouldn't get to see otherwise.  Right now I'm getting a lot of chickadees, tufted titmice, nut hatches, purple finches, gold finches, pine siskins, cardnals, mourning doves, red breasted woodpeckers, downey woodpeckers.  Later in the spring I'll have indigo buntings, wrens, rose breasted grosbeaks, hummers, and many more.  I love my new house and yard, except for that walnut tree.
I also have a spring in my back yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005 01:09:06 PM »

Actually, I do keep the walnuts that fall into my yard. 

Good for you! I cant count how many autums were spent cracking wallnuts out of a big 5 gallon bucket in my neighbors garage. They were an old retired couple that used to farm and they had grand kids my age that I would play with. Very yummy!

I also have a spring in my back yard.

Im so jealous! That has to be magnicifient. It sounds like you live in a really pretty aera. What part of the states do you live in if you dont mind me asking? Im a middle tennessean myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005 01:16:40 PM »

Thank you.  I live in a small village in south western Wisconsin, a mile away from the Mississippi.  This is a very pretty area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Change Game Plan in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...