A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: **Firefly Mirror and Mushroom/Butterfly Bowl - first battle with AcidEtching**  (Read 2680 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , serenity , whedon , tv , etched_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Devierue
« on: September 22, 2008 11:39:12 PM »

Ever since I can remember, writing has been the medium of choice for my artistic expression. It suits me quite well, but I have been itching for physical medium. I am very much in the experimental stages. This is somewhat awkward for me, as I usually don't go about flaunting my n00besity at things. That being said, I henceforth share with you my first attempts (which were made about 6 months ago, to be fair, just was too dang bashful before now to post):

An ugly, $5 mirror that has been lurking in my closet for two years finally became the victim for my first project.  After washing and drying the mirror, smoothing out the Contact paper (not so easy with the frame) to remove air bubbles, I wrote out a lyric with a finetip Sharpie. Obviously a rough guideline, I proceeded to cut away Contact paper for almost an hour, using a sharp knife instead of an ExactoBlade like some kind of sane person would use. If I were propperly equipped, this would have been an easier process. After the goo was applied and washed away, I was left with this:

(I held this like a pen, because I was just too stubborn to get a razor. Cut beautifully, for the most part. I would recommend it, if it didn't hurt so much towards the end)

My second attempt is with a glass...bubble (Dollar Store, baby!). I believe watching me do this must have been strikingly similar to watching a one-armed pygmy attack a tree with a noodle. The round surface makes Contact paper quite unhappy. My solution (after lining the thing in 1/4in strips and tearing it all apart in rage), was small inch squares next to eachother. Making a quick Sharpie outline for reference, I first made a freehand butterfly, then a mushroom. Used Q-Tips to apply the goo, which would be nice if they didn't leave bits behind.

I've decided that mirrors produce much better (read: shinier) results than regular glass, but I have a lot of ideas brewing for both. Also, if I quit being stubborn and go pick up some decent tools, I might actually have a decent outcome.

Any ideas and/or suggestions are welcome. If anyone knows a way to make Contact paper play nicely with round objects, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I can get that figured out, my next goal is to make a clear globe (like the mushroom/butterfly disaster) with fishies on it, then fill it with sand and gel...a fishbowl candle.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008 04:26:08 AM by unithoRn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 11:45:26 PM »

I love the mirror! I've always loved text as art.
No clue about the contact paper/round object issue though, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
soxymoron
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 11:47:12 PM »

I love the mushroom/butterfly globe. Both items look really professional actually.

Sorry this isn't more help but when I stencil on a roundish object I used strips of masking tape and then cut them out, I'm not sure if that would work for etching though as I've never done it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarhigh

passed out crafting.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 12:03:16 AM »

THAT MIRROR IS FULL OF WIN AND HAPPY.

alsdkjasldkfj
the mushroom glass with the light shining through it is also pretty epic.

but...
serenity quote...
etched in glass...

this makes me happy.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008 01:54:38 AM »

I LOVE the mirror. Super shiny!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 02:11:51 AM »

I have no idea, but it seems like painting the design on using craft glue or rubber cement might work and would be much easier than trying to get contact paper to lay flat.   I f the contact paper works, surely these substances would work too.  And then you could just rub/peel them off.  Used to use rubber cement on my prints when I was dying pictures in photography class in college and it worked perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008 02:31:17 AM »

Shiny!  Grin I want it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008 02:31:41 AM by JadedJenn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
Devierue
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008 04:24:53 AM »

And then you could just rub/peel them off.  Used to use rubber cement on my prints when I was dying pictures in photography class in college and it worked perfectly.

Definitely something to practice first, but worth trying!

serenity quote...
etched in glass...

My original thought was to do the entire opening song lyrics, but since it was my first project I opted for the less intricate bit. At the time this was made, my guy and I had just moved into a new apartment (the old one, I'd lived in with my ex before, so it was really a breath of fresh air for both of us to get out from under that black cloud)...the lyric fit the mood at the time, so it's special for two reasons *smiles*

I've always loved text as art.

As I mentioned earlier, the written word is my creative medium of choice. Mixing that into the realm of a visual art seemed like a natural progression...

I love the mushroom/butterfly globe. Both items look really professional actually.

I'm pretty happy with the butterfly...the mushroom's a bit rough, but I'm not killing myself over it since it was my 2nd project and the curve of the glass was enough to drive me bonkers.

I was pretty nervous posting anything but comments for the first time (talk about a crazy talented group of people! Intimidation!), so thanks for all the love!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008 04:26:44 AM »

AHHH!!! Firefly!!! That rocks!  

And for round objects, try blue painters tape.  That's what I use for all my glass etching, and I've been successful using it on round glasses and vases, you can smooth any bumps or wrinkles and cut right through them with a knife (I prefer an exacto knife, but it looks like you did awesome with the other one!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

witchytree
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008 11:26:50 PM »

Using lyrics/poetry/etc. is a good idea.  I like how it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't make me release the flying monkeys.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understand the Difference Between Formal and Informal Symmetry
How to Photograph landscapes with a Telephoto Lens
How to Take a Trees Portrait
How to Understand the Psychological Impact of Black and White
How to Understand the Power of Juxtaposition
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...