A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Why party hats?  Today, we officially welcome our newest Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss to the team!  If you see them on the boards, congratulate them!
Total Members: 305,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living room theme: vintage safari or retro Buddha/ Asia-vibes?  (Read 1580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008 07:31:15 PM »

Hi, all,
The good news is my bf and I have resettled into a larger space.  (Yay, I get my very own craft room at last!!)  However, I am trying to decide whether I want to decorate the living room in a vintage safari theme or an Asian theme.  For the "vintage safari" theme, I imagine dark woods, vintage travel posters, National Geographic style pics of locals and wildlife, possibly African masks, carved wooden artifacts, etc.  The colors I have chosen are dark brown, pale blue with a hint of aqua, and golden beige.  The Asian theme would also have dark woods, but with shades of mossy and emerald green, and possibly bronze and/ or marigold accents.  I'd really love to find/ make a large sized Buddha photo or print to dominate one wall.  Of course, I also have a funny L-shaped living room, so I may end up having one part of it being the entertainment center and couch, and the other side of it being a little reading nook--possibly with papasan chair and some cool mosquito netting for a fun touch.  What do y'all think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 08:33:26 PM »

I like both those ideas; how about using a travel theme, with one leg of the L more Asian, and the other leg more African? 

I saw a photo of a Buddha face that was really cool; the artist took a big piece of sheetrock and used a dremel to cut outlines and details.   Then she painted it gold and hung it up; the best part is that it was BIG, like four feet wide and five feet high.  And cheap, too!  If I can find the article online (it was in my local paper), I'll post a link.  The technique would be cool for all kinds of designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
jessersmisadventures

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 03:39:43 PM »

Thanks for the idea!  Darn, I don't have a dremel, but I LOVE the idea of a BIG Buddha print/ painting/ piece of art, especially since I've dismantled the Great Wall of Boxes that were waiting to be unpacked, and I've realized, OH, I have LOTS of lovely blank walls to fill up with art and stuff!  I like the idea of incorporating both Africa and Asia . . . maybe if I did a darker blue instead of light blue, that might go better with the Asia/ green color scheme?  Hmm . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008 06:53:41 PM »

no dremel?  substitute sheet foam insulation from Home Depot and use a box cutter to carve it.
I can't find an online picture of the one I mentioned, but here's a face that would work; http://www.zanzibartribalart.com/buddhapanelgoldleaf.jpg
kind of turn it into a line drawing, rather than a dimensional piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
jessersmisadventures

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008 03:00:13 PM »

Thank you!  That's a great idea.  I will definitely do that (possibly when classes are over, accelorated Art History II in 8 weeks is gonna kill me Tongue )  I'll try to post it when done. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Fringe
How to Choose a New Hairstyle
How to Choose the Best Hairstyle
How to Make Your Own Shampoo
How to Make Your Hair Grow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...