A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living room theme: vintage safari or retro Buddha/ Asia-vibes?  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008 07:31:15 PM »

Hi, all,
The good news is my bf and I have resettled into a larger space.  (Yay, I get my very own craft room at last!!)  However, I am trying to decide whether I want to decorate the living room in a vintage safari theme or an Asian theme.  For the "vintage safari" theme, I imagine dark woods, vintage travel posters, National Geographic style pics of locals and wildlife, possibly African masks, carved wooden artifacts, etc.  The colors I have chosen are dark brown, pale blue with a hint of aqua, and golden beige.  The Asian theme would also have dark woods, but with shades of mossy and emerald green, and possibly bronze and/ or marigold accents.  I'd really love to find/ make a large sized Buddha photo or print to dominate one wall.  Of course, I also have a funny L-shaped living room, so I may end up having one part of it being the entertainment center and couch, and the other side of it being a little reading nook--possibly with papasan chair and some cool mosquito netting for a fun touch.  What do y'all think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 08:33:26 PM »

I like both those ideas; how about using a travel theme, with one leg of the L more Asian, and the other leg more African? 

I saw a photo of a Buddha face that was really cool; the artist took a big piece of sheetrock and used a dremel to cut outlines and details.   Then she painted it gold and hung it up; the best part is that it was BIG, like four feet wide and five feet high.  And cheap, too!  If I can find the article online (it was in my local paper), I'll post a link.  The technique would be cool for all kinds of designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessersmisadventures

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 03:39:43 PM »

Thanks for the idea!  Darn, I don't have a dremel, but I LOVE the idea of a BIG Buddha print/ painting/ piece of art, especially since I've dismantled the Great Wall of Boxes that were waiting to be unpacked, and I've realized, OH, I have LOTS of lovely blank walls to fill up with art and stuff!  I like the idea of incorporating both Africa and Asia . . . maybe if I did a darker blue instead of light blue, that might go better with the Asia/ green color scheme?  Hmm . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008 06:53:41 PM »

no dremel?  substitute sheet foam insulation from Home Depot and use a box cutter to carve it.
I can't find an online picture of the one I mentioned, but here's a face that would work; http://www.zanzibartribalart.com/buddhapanelgoldleaf.jpg
kind of turn it into a line drawing, rather than a dimensional piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessersmisadventures

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008 03:00:13 PM »

Thank you!  That's a great idea.  I will definitely do that (possibly when classes are over, accelorated Art History II in 8 weeks is gonna kill me Tongue )  I'll try to post it when done. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon SD770 IS: Set White Balance Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Underwater Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Timer Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Spot Meter Function
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...