A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cleaning a bobbin case  (Read 409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elijor
« on: September 22, 2008 03:27:29 PM »

We had inservice today and I was visiting with the other FACS teachers when a discussion on bobbin cases came up. The middle school teachers have awful problems with the bobbin cases getting yukky - very techincal term I know - let me try to describe. It feels sort of like rust but doesn't look like rust and you can almost identify finger prints on them. The high school teachers (myself included) get a little bit of this stuff but summer cleaning takes care of it.

So the local Bernina shop (where we purchased and get cleaning done) sort of "air blasts" (there term) the yuk off. They suggest storing the cases in oil and cleaning them each day when they get passed out - that's a lot of work and has the potential for oily mess. The alternative they suggest is to spray them with oil weekly.

So that was the back story - on to the question. Way back when I helped out at a Bernina shop the owner had a stick thingy (another one of those technical term) to clean the bobbin cases. It looked sort of like an eraser but was stiffer. It was green and kind of rectangular (actually shaped almost exactly as the old "wax sealing" sticks you could buy at Hallmark shops). I guessed it had some sort of "emery" type stuff in it to clean the metal. Does anyone know what that is call and/or where I could get one? I would think it might be more commonly used in machine parts making type place.

I can't ask the Bernina shop owner - bad blood and she no longer owns the store anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 08:04:32 AM »

Hmmm...It sounds like the machines aren't getting quite enough oil or someone is cleaning too much with the wrong kind of solvent, thus encouraging this build up. I suspect a student or non-sewing custodial staff who thinks they are being helpful.

Find a Snap-On dealer near you, they carry far more than just regular tools, way more than Sears or Home Depot, and they come to you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 01:59:55 PM »

Darn it - Penlowe, I just knew you were going to hop on here and say "oh that's a ***** you can get them at #####".

I don't think it is anyone cleaning too much but rather not cleaning enough - the kids' hands not the machines. When I worked at the Bernina shop I helped clean school sewing machines several summers and sometimes the bobbin cases would be like that.

I'll try Snap-On if we have one. I'm not really sure it is a "tool" per say but maybe I'll get lucky or they may be able to point me in the right direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008 02:51:29 PM »

Snap-On is like Avon for guys Cheesy They don't have stores just mobile reps with a UPS sized truck full of testoterone inducing goodies.
In addition to your standard assortment of tools, they make tools for making other tools, grinders & dies & interesting shaped rasps, files, sanding bits, etc.

Warning! Snap-On is not cheap! But darn worth every penny.

It might be grungy kids hands, but body oil & lotion (the two biggest culpirts) are oily, which while it would induce more attraction of dirt most of the time it should just wipe off, not transform into a hard subtance unless a considerable period of time passed. I've seen things like that on engine parts an metal auto body pieces, other chemicals besides oil, either on the hands or put directly on the surface that was then touched, resulted in the same or similar reactions.

!!! Just had a thought! Lysol & similar products are terrible for moving metal parts, and highly likely to be used on tables & possibly the machines themselves because of said grungy kids hands. Maybe this could be the cause?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Starting Rolls in Backgammon
End Game in Backgammon
A Middle Strategy in Backgammon
Starting Rolls in Backgammon
How to Close Your Opponent Out in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...