A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Block or inspires?  (Read 380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Summ3r
« on: September 22, 2008 09:24:52 AM »

Does having a pattern block your creativity or inspire it? This question just popped in my head and I was wondering how you guys felt about using patterns.

I have become very used to having patterns in front of me that I don't do any thing outside of the pattern world... lol 
I am not saying that having a pattern is a bad thing because its actually a good thing because sometimes you have no clue how to do something and need guidance.

What if the pattern was not there? What would you come up with? What would make?

Please feel free to post your feelings and opinions or comments on this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting makes my world go round...

SuMm3R
ademareej
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008 07:19:27 AM »

I tend to think of patterns as loose guides to what I want to do...for example, I was making a colorwork pillow recently.  It was a fairly simple pattern, just blocks of color surrounded by the main color, but I was getting tired of changing colors (it was the largest color chart project I had ever done) so I looked at what I had and at the pattern, then ignored the rest of the pattern and made something that I actually like better than the original.  Sometimes I need the pattern, at least to get an idea of what I am doing, but I rarely follow a pattern exactly for the whole project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoofyButtercups
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008 09:54:19 PM »

I like to tweak things to my own taste or skill level, which at this point is in between a beginner and intermediate.  I mostly crochet at work and need something that doesn't require constant counting because I have to put down and pick back up all day.  So if I can dummy down a pattern I will, and I'm especially fond of taking a basic baby blanket and getting jazzy with the edgings.  I find that having to follow a pattern is less relaxing, but sometimes necessary if I'm in love with the finished design as pictured.  I've got to really want that finished look a lot!

Bev
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whether you're angry, mad, sad, or glad, just give it a shout; "Foofy Buttercups!!!", and you'll feel better.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Hair With Straightener
How to Curl Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Choose a Flat Iron
Hair Color Advice
Learn How to Backcomb Your Hair from the Experts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...