A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pictures of some earrings and a question  (Read 1091 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkslinky
« on: September 22, 2008 04:33:55 AM »

Is it a cheat to use manufactured ear wires?

Here are a few pics of some earrings I made.

They all have manufactured ear wires, which I know a lot of people use. I use them because my hand made ear wires do not slip in like butter. Still, I'd like to think that my earrings are all hand made, even the ear wire. Plus, I think they would look better-- more cohesive-- with handmade ear wire.

But what good would all that be if nobody would wear them because they go in so pinchy?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008 04:34:48 AM by pinkslinky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadingjunkee
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 04:37:17 AM »

You're earrings look great and I think it's fine that you use premade earwires. I make my own earwires sometimes but I definitely think the premade ones are just more comfortable  and a little sturdier than the ones I make. They also look a little sleaker .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkslinky
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 05:10:59 AM »

They do look sleek. But that's sorta why I think handmade ones would better match the hand made look of my, well, handmade earrings.

I should also factor in cost and convenience. It is cheaper to buy the ear wires already made-- especially if you factor in all the time it takes to make the wires from scratch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 05:25:39 AM »

Is it a cheat to use manufactured ear wires?

It is if you are calling the earrings hand made.

Why are your ear wires all pinchy?  Are you not filing them at the ends ?

especially if you factor in all the time it takes to make the wires from scratch.
and how much time does it take to make ear wires?  i can make my most intricate ones in about a minute a pair, and that includes the forging and filing.

In the united states, unless you make every part, you technically cannot call a piece hand made, and yep, that includes every component.  You must call it hand assembled.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008 05:28:19 AM by funkyjunkdesigns » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 05:31:49 AM »

In the united states, unless you make every part, you technically cannot call a piece hand made, and yep, that includes every component.  You must call it hand assembled.

Now that I did not know. Thanks for the heads up Smiley

Pinkslinky, I love your earrings, but I agree with you, they'd benifit if you made your own wires. Your designs are beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
pinkslinky
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008 05:34:25 AM »

That is interesting! So, even if replaced the machine wires with handmade ones to these, only the celtic knots can be called handmade? Perhaps the wiggly ones with the cultured pearl at the end could be called 'handmade'.

But the swirly ones have a button in the middle, no way I can say I made that component.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liza Guevin
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008 09:21:08 AM »

I love your earrings especially the gold ones.  I've been looking for someone with your particular talent--I had a pair of earrings made out of silver wire like the kind used in the second picture.  The earrings were shaped like the musical cleft at the beginning of musical scores--do you know what I mean?  The straight part came down a little longer, about 1/4" longer than the cleft.  The earrings should be about 2" in total length.  No hooks or anything.  Can you make them?  I'd either pay you or swap you a great crystal string for a pair of earrings.  PLEASE let me know!!!  lizaguevin@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008 10:45:26 AM »

Wow, that's a bit... barking mad. Where does "handmade" stop and "hand assembled" start? Take chain maille. I guess it's "hand assembled" if I bought the jump rings, but can I call it hand made if I coiled the jump rings out of wire, or do I have to actually draw the wire out of sheet metal I smelted myself out of iron ore? I shouldn't think anyone is going to prosecute you over that sort of technicality, it just wouldn't be worth the time or expense Wink

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between bought and handmade earwires if you know what you're doing. I'd be willing to bet that the "pinchy" feeling is caused by not filing the wire ends smooth. Also, make sure you're not getting "dings" and dents in the wire from your pliers  - though from your pictures I don't think that's the problem, it all looks really nicely made to me. I especially like those knot earrings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
High Strung
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008 01:24:16 PM »

First, I would like to say that your pieces are beautiful.  Very unique with an almost soothing feel to them.

Second, there is no real, glaring difference between handmade and handcrafted (hand assembled) by definition.  No one would likely bat an eyelash if you said they were handmade.  I personally use handcrafted because I like the sound of it better.

Mirriam Webster:
Handmade; made by hand or by a hand process.
Handcrafted; to fashion by handicraft.
Handicraft; 1 a: manual skill b: an occupation requiring skill with the hands 2: the articles fashioned by those engaged in handicraft.

Webster's Dictionary:
Handmade; made by hand or a hand process
Handcrafted; A work produced by hand labor

Dictionary.com:
Handmade; made by hand, rather than by machine
Handcrafted; To fashion or make by hand.

Seems like you can pretty much take your pick.  If it doesn't feel right calling them handmade with the purchased earwires, then change it - either the earwires or your verbiage  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

High Strung Design Etsy
High Strung Design ArtFire (testing)

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful - Albert Schweitze
crazygeniusgrl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008 01:27:30 PM »

sorry i have nothing to contribute to the "handmade" discussion, but i love love LOVE the gold earrings!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" Step outside the narrow borders of what men call reality and you step into chaos... or imagination."
- Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wok Chicken with Alex McCord
Baked Panko Salmon Recipe
How to Make Lacha Paratha
How to Make an Easter Roast Spiced Chicken with Indian Style Gravy
How to Fry Soft Tofu Without Breaking Up
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...