A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Plant Cell Out of Felt  (Read 5663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Winnie
« on: September 22, 2008 01:19:24 AM »

So the infamous "Make-A-Cell-Model" project is due this Friday for my AP Biology class.
Without thinking (very much, anyways), I decided to make a plant cell out of felt.
However, I totally disregarded the simple fact: I have no experience with sewing OR felt.

Well, I'm pretty sure I can figure out the sewing, but ...
Would anyone be able to relieve me from the hours of sulking I'll be doing trying to figure out the felt?

I will be basing my model off of this:
http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FUE/VRFC/FFFIVL5P/FUEVRFCFFFIVL5P.MEDIUM.jpg

Possible patterns I could use...  step-by-step instructions that can save me...  anything else?
The ENTIRE model has to be 3D (gah, *stabs*) and it also has to be at least twelve inches.

Any response and suggestion is EXTREMELY appreciated<3.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008 12:06:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 01:28:52 AM »

i'd say at least 12 inches is a bonus because you don't have to worry so much about making teeny tiny pieces, i think the best thing to do is make all the pieces separate then just jam them in, i had to make a model spleen and it worked quite well because then you can move things round/take them out and explain what the pieces do
if you can find a basic baseball cap pattern, or for a ball, they're the simplest way of doing it because you can alter the pattern quite simply to suit your needs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 05:59:42 AM »

When I did that project in high school I didn't sew it (even though I knew how). I used a clear glass baking dish, unflavored & uncolored jello & an assortment of appropriately shaped toys & other odds & ends for the various parts. I got an A Smiley I covered the top with clear plastic wrap to keep it all together in transit.

The jello suspended everything quite nicely. I got a giggle out of my teacher for using an old D cell battery as the mitochondria, I also used a sealed up sandwich bag with colored water and a bouncy ball as my nucleus. I think I used a washcloth as the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ok I'm cheating & looking at your diagram for the part names, I just remember the odd bits I put in). I know I also used a small baloon and a few legos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 10:53:48 AM »

I think the easiest way would be like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10916809

Cut long strips of felt and roll/squish them into the form for each part of the cell.That would be minimal sewing, as well, I imagine you would just need a dap of fabric glue at the end of the rolled piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 11:09:47 AM »

I really like that last suggestion Smiley that would be cool & not impossible for a non-sewer. I highly reccomend a rotary cutter for making perfect strips of felt for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Winnie
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 12:39:43 AM »

owee Thanks for all of the suggestions!  For some reason, I didn't even think of making different parts in separate pieces >_>;;.  What's up with my mind, haha.

I wanted to do the jello/cake thing, but then a bunchhh of people in my class are doing it, too!  So I'd like to at least try to stand out a bit.  &Lol at the mitochondrion battery :333.  Clever ^__^.

Thaaanks mucho mucho again for the posts.  I shall definitely posts pictures upon completion!  &It's actually not due until Monday, yay<3.  So I'll hopefully have a sufficient amount of time to make it as fabuluous as I can.  Wish me luck~  xd
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Show No Mercy Book Trailer
Crescendo Book Trailer Short Version
Abby Sher Talks About Amen, Amen, Amen
Emily Yellin Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...