A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Plant Cell Out of Felt  (Read 5959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Winnie
« on: September 22, 2008 01:19:24 AM »

So the infamous "Make-A-Cell-Model" project is due this Friday for my AP Biology class.
Without thinking (very much, anyways), I decided to make a plant cell out of felt.
However, I totally disregarded the simple fact: I have no experience with sewing OR felt.

Well, I'm pretty sure I can figure out the sewing, but ...
Would anyone be able to relieve me from the hours of sulking I'll be doing trying to figure out the felt?

I will be basing my model off of this:
http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FUE/VRFC/FFFIVL5P/FUEVRFCFFFIVL5P.MEDIUM.jpg

Possible patterns I could use...  step-by-step instructions that can save me...  anything else?
The ENTIRE model has to be 3D (gah, *stabs*) and it also has to be at least twelve inches.

Any response and suggestion is EXTREMELY appreciated<3.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008 12:06:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 01:28:52 AM »

i'd say at least 12 inches is a bonus because you don't have to worry so much about making teeny tiny pieces, i think the best thing to do is make all the pieces separate then just jam them in, i had to make a model spleen and it worked quite well because then you can move things round/take them out and explain what the pieces do
if you can find a basic baseball cap pattern, or for a ball, they're the simplest way of doing it because you can alter the pattern quite simply to suit your needs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 05:59:42 AM »

When I did that project in high school I didn't sew it (even though I knew how). I used a clear glass baking dish, unflavored & uncolored jello & an assortment of appropriately shaped toys & other odds & ends for the various parts. I got an A Smiley I covered the top with clear plastic wrap to keep it all together in transit.

The jello suspended everything quite nicely. I got a giggle out of my teacher for using an old D cell battery as the mitochondria, I also used a sealed up sandwich bag with colored water and a bouncy ball as my nucleus. I think I used a washcloth as the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ok I'm cheating & looking at your diagram for the part names, I just remember the odd bits I put in). I know I also used a small baloon and a few legos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 10:53:48 AM »

I think the easiest way would be like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10916809

Cut long strips of felt and roll/squish them into the form for each part of the cell.That would be minimal sewing, as well, I imagine you would just need a dap of fabric glue at the end of the rolled piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 11:09:47 AM »

I really like that last suggestion Smiley that would be cool & not impossible for a non-sewer. I highly reccomend a rotary cutter for making perfect strips of felt for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Winnie
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 12:39:43 AM »

owee Thanks for all of the suggestions!  For some reason, I didn't even think of making different parts in separate pieces >_>;;.  What's up with my mind, haha.

I wanted to do the jello/cake thing, but then a bunchhh of people in my class are doing it, too!  So I'd like to at least try to stand out a bit.  &Lol at the mitochondrion battery :333.  Clever ^__^.

Thaaanks mucho mucho again for the posts.  I shall definitely posts pictures upon completion!  &It's actually not due until Monday, yay<3.  So I'll hopefully have a sufficient amount of time to make it as fabuluous as I can.  Wish me luck~  xd
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Design Colors
How to Decorate a Living Room
How to Get a Great Look
Do I Need Professional Design Help
How to Decorate a Half Bath
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...