A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a semi-geeky wedding?  (Read 5085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008 09:55:33 AM »

1 word: mii's.

Make a mii themed wedding of your own mii's!!!!!!!

cake topper... markers, etc.  THAT WOULD BE SO FREAKIN CUTE

Oh, Paul Pape makes awesome mii cake toppers [a little spendy, but so freakin' cute!] He also makes chocolate miis that are much less expensive, although they are flat on the back so rigging them to stand on top of a cake might be tricky. Of course, you could also make your own if you have some polymer clay skills!

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Code Goddess

Our Wedding In Paradise 12-11-10 Riviera Maya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008 08:30:31 AM »

Oh I love this thread!!  My FI and I are both geeks so I would definetly have to second the idea of the action figure cake topper.

Since we are doing a destination wedding in the Riviera Maya we are going to spin it with a bit of Indiana Jones. Wink

Our Cake - Imagine this James Bond cake but with Indiana Jones figures and jungle decor:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 09:58:03 AM by adias.angell » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008 03:39:59 PM »

lol, that cake is so funny and cool!   Cheesy
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008 02:29:23 AM »

I'd make the geeky items something that will make everyone laugh...

Or if you had a traditional cake in mind... don't forget you can make a little grooms cake. 

For favors, maybe you could get the guests a Rubik's cube key chain!

And (saved the best for last) Place a mound of Legos on each table (heck! make it the centerpiece) Your Guests have to build something, and show it off before the two of you will kiss.  It could make for some funny moments, and at the very least a bonding moment for your guests.

Good Luck

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008 07:03:16 AM »

Have your guests throw Nerds candy instead of rice.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008 02:17:16 PM »

Thank you everyone for all the amazing ideas. Keep them coming. I mentioned the idea of a comic book as a program and it has completely snowballed from that. We had a friend who is an amazing artist come up with some awesome comic versions of us. I've given in and I think it is going to be a central idea for the wedding, not themed, just overly incorporated. I'm actually really happy about it, because its something we really bonded over when we first started dating because I knew little about comics and now we go to conventions together. I will upload a shot of the save the dates with them on it as soon as I am finished. Also, the lightsabers in the engagement photos were not even an option. He'd seen someone else's and that was the end of that. I'm also considering  having some of our engagement photos done at the arcade, but does that sound crazy? And Rock Band at the wedding? I'm in love. No question that this is happening at some point. Thanks again for all the amazing ideas. Sorry again for rambling.
The Bouncy Insomniac

Talk nerdy to me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008 12:34:37 AM »

I just attended a wedding where the groom's cake topper was him playing on his coputer, ignoring his girl, whose arms were crossed, looking annoyed in the background. It was brilliant.
The Broadsword of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008 03:15:15 PM »

For semigeekery you might consider action figures or spaceship/gaming miniatures tastefuly added to flowered centerpieces.

If hes an old skool gamer a D6,D8 or D10,D20 with a wire thru it can be a nice addition to his boutinerre. By the dice bulk and you can use them as table decor or part of teh centerpieces.

Setting up a Rock Band or gamer station of any type will be good fun for those folks not into dancing. A pricier version of this is renting a couple arcade games and giving folks tokens as favors.

Loading tables up with games from Cheap-Ass games makes for great cocktail party ice breakers.

A photo station with some kind of game screen or comic book cover back ground...add some dollar store props like masks capes toy mallets and toy swords.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008 10:58:11 AM »

Ok so this is awesome and gives me TONS of ideas for my own wedding, you know after the dorky boy finally "pops the question"!!  We have been talking for a while about getting married and fun wedding ideas. 

The only thing we have set in stone is that we will have video game music and not just the normal lame wedding music.  My boy hosts a video game/anime radio show so I know there is a ton of awesome music out there.  We are planning on having our first dance to the water level theme from Super Mario Bros, a nice orchestral version or something like that.

Non-Player Character

That's not just pimp, it's MAD pimp.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008 12:26:37 PM »

I just got married, and we did some pretty nerdy things... Maybe this will help??

We used songs from Final Fantasy X.

Our friends played piano and violin live during the ceremony.  They played "sutekki da ne" and (i think it's called) "zanarkand"...  They're my favorite songs from the series (I always found them REALLY romantic sounding!) and it really made our ceremony special and really perfect.

For our wedding cake topper, we used pictures of our xanga/facebook/etc avatars and printed them onto shrinkydink -- that was a big hit because most of the people at our wedding had been seeing those avatars for years.

We WERE planning on rockband for the reception, since we already had a projector and screen and everything, but there was a sound system problem at the last moment so we ended up having to hire a DJ instead (sigh... although the DJ was really great)...

Oh yeah, and we let our friends do "performances" for us like a talent show skit during the reception.  That was really fun because
a lot more people got to be "part of the wedding" that weren't part of the ceremony, it was pretty cool.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=611019529861 (you have to have facebook and be logged in to view this video)

But... in the end, I think th day would have felt perfect to me regardless of how many things went right or wrong or how much stuff I did!!

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Infuse Glass and Clay
How to Throw a Large Bowl - pt 2- Trimming
How to make a Large Wheel Thrown Vessel with Two Clay Bodies
How to make an Extra Large Bowl - wheel throwing
Finished Pottery Pieces from the Kiln
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Plumeria Flowers
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...