A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curtain fabric party/cocktail mini dress goodness :) [pic heavy]  (Read 2942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: September 21, 2008 09:56:48 AM »

I made this dress for my friend's 18th birthday party.

I got the pattern from 'Yeah I made it myself'. It was meant to be an A-Line dress but i added darts until it was quite fitted. I like the way the skirt sits though, still kind of jutty out.

The fabric was given to me by a friendly old lady, as was the zib which you can't really see but is quite wide and metalic and is a nice feature (i think). It's also really long, which i think is quite fun.

Total cost for dress: 0.00 / $0.00  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
free clothes!!

The pics are taken in my garden by my sister, who then made me hang up the washing in the outfit for photographic purposes...

front:

back:
I cut the neckline long and it kind of gaped at the front so i pinched and pleated it at the shoulders to make it fit better.

gold pocket:
this is my first pocket! I was so pleased - and its the best thing ever to have a pocket in a party dress- espeically a golden one  Grin

bust dart:

I'm so happy with how the zip came out, it's probs the neatest one i've ever done.
I had to add darts in the back because for some reason my body is shaped crazily and back goes too far in for normal dresses to fit Undecided

ACTION SHOT!!
also i wanted to photo it in my NEW SHOES but this was a mistake seeing as stilletos and grass are a bad mixture. i kept sinking....

hanging up the washing   Wink
(to the left of my bright pink bra is a threadless tee - i feel so cool! even though i shipped it in from America it was still cheaper than buying one over here. hehe)

It came out a bit shorter than i intended, and i wasn't sure if the fabric was too busy, but i wore it to the party with pink shoes and a gold cardigan and my friend said i looked really fashionable  Cool
Hehehe

Comments/criticisms/suggestions always welcome

from sarah
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginchen
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008 10:02:57 AM »

It's beautiful! your shoes match perfectly Wink Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VintageKitschMagpie
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008 10:21:42 AM »

I adore this dress. I have the 'yeah I made it myself' book aswell, so may make something similar in the future.

The gold pockets are lush-fab idea. The dress IS fashionable-it looks vintagey to me...and nowadays it's all about the vintage! Smiley It fits nicely too. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.

visit my etsy shop! www.vintagekitschma gpie.etsy.com
now selling on FB!!
www.facebook.com/VintageKitschMagpie
Mayumi
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008 10:54:25 AM »

Love the print and the fit of your dress
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be a blessing to everyone
threehang
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008 11:52:59 AM »

i think this is gorgeouss!! the fit is fantastic. {and i love the shoes  Cool}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmykat
get out of my trash.

take it easy, your wired to detonate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008 04:28:03 PM »

I really like that dress. Does the book you got the pattern from come with an actual pattern, or just guidlines?
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im going to live forever or die trying.
cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008 04:38:16 PM »

that is fantastic!

I'm just going to ramble for a bit, okay? because I think eithne farry is a wonderful lady... errr by which I mean, I'm using that book right now as well Wink I've wondered about all the guidelines really, and wish I had the patience to sit down and learn to knit from it, as some bright purple legwarmers might be a grand fashion thing.

anyway, this dress (including your alterations to the instructions) looks amazing on you, & those shoes are killer. I hope you don't mind me saying that you have nice legs, too! Cheesy

what a winner... I hope you wear it out loads!
I'm going to go back to my sewing dungeon now. Roll Eyes
speak to you soon...
cassette.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trish_dish
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008 04:55:52 PM »

oh i love it! haha it's so cute and it fits great on you and i love the pocket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

punikum
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008 08:47:42 PM »

it is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008 12:25:17 AM »

thank you for all the feedback  Grin

Does the book you got the pattern from come with an actual pattern, or just guidlines?

The book just has guidelines and a drawing of the shape of the pattern, so it's quite a freehand thing. However all the sizes are a size 10-12, so I had to downsize it which i'm not very good at. That's why I had to add the darts and make it more fitted, but I was happy with the more fitted result anyway Smiley

I'm just going to ramble for a bit, okay? because I think eithne farry is a wonderful lady... errr by which I mean, I'm using that book right now as well Wink I've wondered about all the guidelines really, and wish I had the patience to sit down and learn to knit from it, as some bright purple legwarmers might be a grand fashion thing.

anyway, this dress (including your alterations to the instructions) looks amazing on you, & those shoes are killer. I hope you don't mind me saying that you have nice legs, too! Cheesy

hehe i don't mind to saying i have nice legs Wink
I love eithne farry, it's a reallly great book and I love to just sit down and read it without making anything! she really inspired me to stop worrying about all the details and just go. The instructions in the book aren't very precise, so to a certain extent i think you just have to wing it  Smiley

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
African American Hairstyles Tips
How to Create Long Hair Updo
How to Create Curly Hair Updos
Upside Down Haircut
Updos for Long Hair Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...