A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Super tough slipcover, new to sewing...  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hippie4yahweh

Dabbler of all, master of... eh, not much

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2008 07:01:56 AM »

Hi all!

So I'm a fairly new homeowner, trying to do everything at once (of course) but at least I know how to do all of my projects, right?

Wrong. I don't sew. I have a nice little sewing machine, it works...

Here's the thing- I've made curtains, pillows, etc- nice and easy little projects. I desperately want to make a slipcover, but this is going to be pretty tough. Our couch is a super wierd shape.

I'm a newbie (no pic posts for me yet!) but I think this is how to give you a link to an image of it...
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=26527086&albumID=1574420&imageID=42703206

Hopefully that works... So any advice? Or (even better) anyone live in Metro Detroit who wants a job?! LOL- I'm frightened of this project, and if you just let me watch I'll hire you!!! hahaha

~Help, please!!~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."
Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
La Maestra
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008 08:56:00 AM »

Very cool couch!  I'd make a cover for the cushion separately.  Then, I'd trace the shape of the rest of the couch, in sections, adding an inch all around, to make pattern pieces (back, arm, other arm, arm fronts, etc.) - maybe on muslin or old sheets (you could always use them on the inside of your upholstery fabric later as a liner) - and cut the upholstery fabric using your traced pattern with an added inch for the seam.  Sew the edges together, slip over, and you're done!

If you use a fabric you like to trace the pattern, it could be reversable if you sew the lining to the upholstery with a finished seam on both sides.

You could do the sections separately, finish the edges, and tie together with ties where the sections meet (sew the pattern fabric to the upholstery right sides in, leaving an opening to turn, and edges are automatically finished).  If the ties are close enough, there shouldn't be too much gapping. 

But - I'm no expert - so - Go to the local bookstore or library and look at the Sewing books - usually the thicker ones have instructions for all kinds of home decorating projects.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippie4yahweh

Dabbler of all, master of... eh, not much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 07:59:12 PM »

Very cool couch!  I'd make a cover for the cushion separately.  Then, I'd trace the shape of the rest of the couch, in sections, adding an inch all around, to make pattern pieces (back, arm, other arm, arm fronts, etc.)

I've been so scared of this project that I didn't even THINK of that!! Psh, it's practically DONE now!

Wait... ha, no it's not, still scared of this, but way pumped now! Thank you so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."
Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Tessie
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008 06:03:21 AM »

I agree, just make a pattern for it by pinning fabric directly to the couch, there are MANY books that you could get that show you how to go about this step by step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Witch Mask
How to Make a Paper Plate Mask
How to Make a Plague Doctor Mask
How to Make Paper Masks
How to Start Your Own Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...