A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewn storage bags/tubs/boxes?  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r3dh3d
« on: September 21, 2008 02:33:50 AM »

Anyone got any ideas/links to tuts/whatever on this topic? 

I've got a big run of bookshelves round 2 walls of a room.  I want to store other stuff in there than books - DH's random tat so it needs to be fairly robust and easy to sling it in, lifting a lid is just far too much like hard work!  I want something very very simple I can sew and knock up dozens of the things in a hurry.  It needs to be stiff enough to stand up but I don't want to use card or whatever as the sorts of things DH will put in it I'll probably have to chuck them in the wash from time to time.   Roll Eyes

My current idea is to put some heavyweight iron-on-interfacing onto fabric, make up into a very shallow tote/box bag (without handles) and then bind the top edge.  Probably I'd have to topstitch the 4 verticals at the corners to keep it squarish at the top and sitting on the shelf properly.  The main box would just be very cheap plain fabric and I'd glue/rough applique fabric shapes to the front.

Any advances on that plan?  I'm sure it's been done before and better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erin33084

I'm just SEW happy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008 09:37:30 AM »

There's a how-to on this at JCarolineCreative. Here's the link:  http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=STORAGE_BASKETS

The site has a lot of other neat how-tos that you should check out! Good luck and post pics when you're done.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008 05:14:50 PM by erin33084 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cutiepatootiebyerin.etsy.com

We can't wait to meet our baby boy, due in September!
thewritegirl
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 08:24:42 AM »

Oooh, ooh, there was a super cute one posted on here a while back. I made a few of them, and they were really easy. Almost like a modified Jordy bag. Let me dig through my bookmarks and I'll post it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewritegirl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008 09:03:19 AM »

Here it is! It's super cute. I actually didn't use any stabilizer or interfacing, just some canvas-type material, and it was fairly sturdy. I definitely wouldn't use cardboard. Maybe a plastic mesh if you want it super sturdy? It's pretty good how it is, though. Hope this helps!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=204022.0

Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaMabel
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008 07:56:16 PM »

I've used this Laura Gunn tutorial for "slipcovers" to make some old milk crates semi-appropriate for living room use.  Pretty quick/easy.

http://lauragunn.typepad.com/paintinmyhair/2008/09/post-1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanaelle
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008 09:59:07 PM »

You can also get some of that plastic canvas material to make the base of the bags/bins with. I make a lot of scripture bags for people at my church and use it in the bottom... works like a charm every time! And it's sturdier than interfacing. Cheaper, too, if you get it when it's on sale. I get mine at JoAnn's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Leftover Turkey Solutions
The Ultimate Thanksgiving Grilled Cheese Recipe
5 Genius Thanksgiving Leftover Hacks
How To Make Thanksgiving Quinoa Stuffing
How to Make Thanksgiving Turkey With a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...