A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: REAAAAALLLLLYYYY loopy stitching. Help me!  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« on: September 20, 2008 07:02:29 PM »

So i picked up a sweet Singer Athena 2000 at a yard sale for $10 this morning!

It came with like eight different feet, and have spent the remainder of today trying to figure out how the darn thing works. As far as i can see, there is at LEAST one thing wrong with it:

That's the underside. I don't know whether to call it loopy or some weird sort of braided-ness. It's almost like it makes fabric dreadlocks.  Cheesy  I've had something happen like this before and know it was a tension issue, but then it got caught in the machine and such. This one is quite content to stitch on like it doesn't know it's creating a world of chaos. Plus, the matted stuff seems like it's entirely too thick, you know?

One thing i noticed upon further inspection is that the metal part sticking up from where the tension disks go (in the threading part) is really really wobbly, so i thought that may have something to do with it. I mean it's not really possible to be missing one of 'em, is it? Do they just get loose like that when the tension's all out of whack?

ANNNDDD one more thing, i have no idea what's going on with the feed dog, but it's going up and down more than i think it should and it's not really pulling the fabric correctly. It kind of wiggles all around. and the fabric doesn't move as fast as i think it should in relation to the needle and feed dog motion.

Oh, and i really can't afford maintenance on it right now but if i can't fix it myself, would it be worth saving up for? I mean, who doesn't want their hemline to have wiener dogs stitched in it?!

So, can anyone tell me what's going on? With any of it?
Did i waste ten dollars?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
mom2blu
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008 09:51:20 PM »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it definently needs maintenance!  Just make sure you get a good maintence guy, I seem to have found the repair man from hell recently. (read my post machine price and haggling, scroll down for  few examples)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
olive_juice
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008 07:14:13 AM »

Wah! Maybe i'll ask for that for christmas.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008 09:33:59 AM »

I think you diagnosed your problem.  It's the tension discs.  There is no tension in the discs which is why it is creating all that chaos.  There also may be a gear or two worn.  The Athena insides are rife with nylon gears if I am not mistaken. 

mom2blu is quite right unfortunately.
make sure you get a good maintence guy
As the owner of three "vintage" machines myself, I have had a helluva time.

Check out yahoo groups for the Singer Athena owners.  They often have good suggestions for reliable repair technicians.   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/singermachines/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 06:49:30 AM »

Definately a tension issue, or more specificly- there's no tension on the thread at all.

It could be merely loosened up to nothingness, or the tension spring could be broken. It's not a dificult or terribly expensive repair, but rather delicate work & best left to an experienced repair person.

The feed dogs might just be on a funny setting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008 04:48:04 PM »

My machine (also an older Singer) does that when the bobbin isn't threaded correctly, so you might want to check that.  Did it come with the manual?  Or can you track one down online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
olive_juice
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008 07:17:26 PM »

My machine (also an older Singer) does that when the bobbin isn't threaded correctly, so you might want to check that.  Did it come with the manual?  Or can you track one down online?

Yeah, apparently there is only one way to thread this one. It's super weird/cool, but it won't let you put the bobbin in upside down because they aren't the same on both sides. I'm not sure how to load the bobbin, but maybe the bobbin is threaded backwards? I'll have to check.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Style Beachy Waves
How to Style Short Hair
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
How to Style Side-Swept Bangs
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...