A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Input on creating/sustaining a nonprofit reuse/salvage art supply store?  (Read 2309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« on: September 20, 2008 12:34:15 PM »

I don't know if this belongs here or in the "Crafty Business" section, but since it's a nonprofit community-based thing, I'll start here...

There are some wonderful organizations out there keeping reusable art-worthy goods out of landfills by re-selling them cheaply and helping kids and adults explore ways to be creative with salvaged items. Some examples:

www.artfromscrap.org
www.scrap-sf.org/
http://www.creativereuse.org
http://www.materials-exchange.org/

The San Francisco program even tells you how to get one of these going in one's own community: http://scrap-sf.org/start.htm

My question is, have any of you craftsters been involved with starting or operating a program/organization like this? Please share any tips on what works or doesn't work!

I feel the need to get one of these started in Santa Cruz County, where I've been living for a couple months...It's a very arts- and recycling-oriented town without many places to buy cheap rummage/salvage/junk. But I know this is something a lot of people need to be involved with for it to get off the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 04:27:00 PM »

There is a great place in Portland called Scrap. I'm not 100% sure how they started or how to go about it but they are super nice and wonderful. It might be worth it to call or e-mail them and ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
DJOni

www.dawline-janemakesart.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008 11:12:44 AM »

I think it's a wonderful idea!
I volunteer for a resale craft shop up in Sebastopol, CA called The Legacy. It operates through the local senior center. It got it's start in the mid 90's when a woman, who was a life long crafter, passed away and her family donated her supplies to the senior centers day program. Pretty soon, volunteers were organized and set up a store front to receive more donations to raise money. It's a wonderful, self sustaining community shop that is mostly volunteer run (the only paid employees are the manager and assistant manager, through the senior center), relies on estate donations (a lot of excellent condition vintage goods), does consignment of finished crafts (I think it's a 60/40 split between crafter and senior center), and holds classes.
Have you thought about operating through a senior or community center?
I would love to hear how your idea evolves! I hope this helps...keep me posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Variety is the spice of life
kstaron
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008 07:31:43 AM »

I would go to any class you can find on starting a non-profit. there is a whole lot of paperwork/rules/regs to create a non profit.  I would also contact all of those places you mentioned and ask to speak to a representative, the creator or day to day manager if possible, and someone on the board of directors that oversees all the legal and finacial aspects. This kind of thing sounds like it requires a lot of space, and therefore a devoted building/land. It also seems like something that requires more than just a couple people to operate.

Surround yourself with people that can help in this process, lawyers (egads the paperwork), accountants (IRS paperwork, budgeting), sales people (you need people to want to give you money and land etc.), and a whole bunch of people that would love to do gruntwork for a cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leggs1959
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008 02:02:18 PM »

There is a salvage yard in Pittsburgh PA called Construction Junction.  Total 503(c).  I don't have their url, but if you google Construction Junction Pittsburgh (there are more than one with the same name) you can check it out and get some contact information.

For a couple years they actually had a salvage arts festival but I don't know why they didn't continue it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 02:58:36 AM »

There's a store like that in Lynnwood, WA called the "creation station." I think they mostly take things businesses can't use (excess lids to milk jugs and the like) but they would be a good resource to check in with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittymom
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009 08:53:55 AM »

You should contact the Boston Children's Museum.  They have a "store" where businesses donate their extra materials and the public can come in a buy (at really great discounts) them to use as art supplies.  Basically, you go in and buy a bag and fill it up with whatever you think would be neat.  They even have little project sheets with ideas.

They also seem pretty interested in other people using this idea in their own communities to spur creativity and keep stuff out of land fills.  And, they've been operating the store for many years and so would, I think, be a great resource on how it get it started and keep it going.

This is a great idea!  Good luck and let us know how it goes, please! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kdeane
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009 11:00:23 AM »

Anyone know of any in NJ or close by? 
I see there is one in NYC but only for schools/non profits in 5 boroughs, and one in Husdon Valley-a little too far.  There is so much industry in NJ it seems like this would be beneficial to have.

-Kim 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paper rose
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009 08:24:36 AM »

Maybe you could contact the owners of some up-and-running businesses doing a similar thing and ask them those questions? Particularly if you choose places kind of far away--while the attitudes for non-profits would probably differ, this is the advice I've heard for people interested in establishing brick-and-mortar businesses. Being far away makes them more likely to offer advice, since you're less of a threat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammykatie

I would be unstoppable If I could just get started

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009 03:57:02 PM »

Calluna - are you still interested in this project?  or has it fallen through the cracks for now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.  - Winston Churchilll

http://www.wists.com/gammykatie

2010 - 3/XX                     I won't read Blogs!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Quickie: How to Get Frizz Free Hair in 10 Seconds
How to Give Your Bun a Fresh New Twist
This Vibrating Flat Iron Will Forever Change How You Straighten Hair
30 Seconds to Frizz Free Hair
Learn to Create the Katniss Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...