A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A new purse...and it only took a day and a half (6 pics)  (Read 1342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 19, 2008 12:57:32 PM »

Over my vacation, I finally got around to making an everyday purse for ME. I know, it's a first. I actually used it as an opportunity to draft and test a new pattern. Next summer, I plan on having a booth that sells purses in assorted sizes and styles. For mine, I wanted something neutral but not boring....if that makes sense.

I did make some mistakes, and had to re-engineer mid-sewing, but I am not pointing them out! But after some tweaking to accomodate what I learned, I hope this could be a pretty good seller.

Purse inside (empty). You can see the divider and a simple divided pocket. One part is big enough for 2 large pens, and the other fits my gum, lip balm and mirror. You can also see the very lovely fabric that I had to use.

Here it is with stuff. Obviously, a lot of stuff. it fits my planner, notebook, red pouch and wallet. There is room to spare for my camera or a water bottle, too. In the upper left corner, you can also see the key loop I put in. It runs through my keys and snaps so they don't sink to the bottom of my bag.

On the side is my cell phone pocket. I made it big so I can fit a larger phone, or this phone and it's charger. On the back, there is a simple zipper pocket I did not take a picture of. As you can see, I did not do the traditional purse assembly. I did this because I wanted bits of the inside fabric peeking out the break up the grey.

Here is the front. This is my first try at reverse applique, and I am pretty happy with it. I got the ribbon from my dad, along with millions of other ribbons. It doesn't really match, but I think it "goes."

And the action shot in the horribly messy bedroom. Because crafting is sooooo much better then cleaning!

The best part...the only things I paid for was thread and snaps. I got the zippers and buttoms from swaps, and all the fabric for free from a lady I work with.

If anyone has any feedback, please share. I really want to know if this is an appealing bag, or I am just waay too excited to have it done. thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 01:01:03 PM by stellato_escuro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
3toedsloth

shellfish allergy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 01:37:29 PM »

Well done! I think it's a cute purse and I really like the structure, the divider, the little outside contrast pocket. The reverse applique is a very cool touch as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindygert
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 06:39:56 PM »

This is really cute.  Did you hand sew the red around the applique?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cindygert.com
www.cindygert.etsy. com

Please become a fan of cindygert on my Face Book page.
http://www.facebook.com/cindygert?ref=nf
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008 07:23:32 AM »

Yeah, I did the red reverse by hand. I thought it would turn out better looking then if I used my machine.

And thank you for the nice comments so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Stitch
How to Make the Ribstitch
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Form a Knitting Group
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...