A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: zombie prom queen - any ideas?  (Read 10390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

radioheart

and i dance dance dance

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2008 08:26:23 AM »

So, this year for the zombie walk, I am planning to be a zombie prom queen and my friend, the zombie prom king. Now, the initial idea was for us to "die" in a car accident, so I bought a prom inspired dress from a thrift store. Since I fell in love with that dress and no longer want to ruin it, I have to change the idea completely. So, I was thinking, maybe someone got jealous that I was awarded 'prom queen' and they didn't, so they killed me in the bathroom or something by slitting my throat.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask, is when you think of "prom queen" what do you think of? And if you have any ideas on how we died, do tell.

I know that some of the things people relate to it are:

sash
tiara
corsage

And I was wondering, anyone have any ideas on how I could make the sash? I was initially going to paint fabric, but I don't think that's such a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 08:29:34 AM by radioheart » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rawr?
brassknucklebettie
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 10:58:13 AM »

I was a zombie prom queen last year.  I used an old bridesmaid dress I had and rolled around in the dirt a lot.  I also got a tiara at savers.  I used Mehran Special FX makeup in green and gray and Ben Nye stage blood.

Not the greatest costume, but it worked in a pinch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.
ashleyjustine
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 04:55:48 PM »

awe, it stinks that you can't add dirt and blood to the dress. That's always my favorite part of zombie costumes.

anyhow, make sure you get your nails did....oh, and get a gross orange tan. Isn't that what girls do before prom? lol. ooo, a nice touch, also, is to soak a spot in your hair on top of your head with fake blood to look like another zombie tried to munch your brain.

So long as you do your make up pretty sweet, no one will notice the clean dress.  also, I have some pretty great pictures of my makeup from previous years zombie costumes, if you want some inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008 05:59:53 PM »

Ooh, if you can match the dress's fabric, get half a yard (and maybe some tulle?  Depending on the dress), and you can tear/cut that up/blood stain it, and safety pin it to the original dress (once the blood is all dried), so that it flops over and hides the pins, making it look torn.  That way the original dress stays nice and safe.

Barring that, I actually always like the look of the zombie bride/prom queen with the knife sticking out of her chest.  Again, though, this would depend on the cut of the dress, and weather or not you feel like making blood stick'ems (use hot glue and paint, with acrylic over it for shinyness). 

For your sash you could get iron on letters, and use those.  I think they come in pink, too, which would be cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
laughsforfree
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008 02:25:11 PM »

my boyfriend and i were prom king and queen last year, and i loved it! i was trying to be this again this year, but i was like no, let it go. anyways, i just bought a cheapy dress from forever 21, i made sure it had something to it, like sparkles or rhinestones, just to give it a "prom feeling" i also went to walmart and found sashes in the wedding section. i had my roommate write prom queen/king 07 on it in gold puffy paint. i didn't have any blood on my dress but since it was all over my face, and arms, it worked.

excuse the blue strap, i was dead and didn't know any better!

if you want to see more pictures, or of my boyfriend in his zombie prom king costume you can look at myspace. myspace.com/razzlelastnamedazzle

as for how you died, maybe there was a fire during prom, if you know how to do burned make-up and you could burn the clothes alittle to give it that look (if you get a different dress or change your mind about your prom dress.) or maybe there was some sort of gas (think planet terror) that changed you all, and you could give yourself make up with a green tint. these are just ideas, try to be a creative as you can, it's fun to give yourself a backstory!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
radioheart

and i dance dance dance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008 08:25:21 AM »

Thanks everyone!
You were all very helpful!

<333
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rawr?
thepaintinglibra
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008 04:35:09 PM »

I wonder if you can find fabric similar to the dress you bought and stain that with blood. Then cut them into shreds and attach them to the actual dress. This could be the "tattered" dress from the car accident without ruining the dress. You could also use bandages and blood stained gauze to look like you were treated but didn't make it.

I think the tiara, sash (ribbon & glitter to give that H.S look) and maybe dead flowers would for sure show you were the prom queen. See below:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vicious Hyperbolizer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008 05:16:17 PM »

If you don't want to pitch in for the Ben Nye fake blood, you can mix together chocolate sauce, corn syrup, and red food dye in an old gatorade bottle or the like.
For normal makeup, you can mix together a very light face powder and a little grey eyeshadow.
For lips, use the same light/grey mixture then put a little fake blood in your mouth, you get a good blood-cracked look.
I made a faux-zombie movie in sci-fi class last year xD

maybe instead of destroying the dress, maybe rip a few seams, or something really simple to mend like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." -Barbara Tuchman
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008 04:00:29 PM »

hahaha
that last photo was used for the flier for the Goth Prom at Cornerstone Festival this year

i know its irrelevent

sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Image Adjustments in Photoshop CS4
Using the Rotate View in Photoshop CS4
Using Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop CS4
How to Create a Video in PowerPoint
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...