A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soy Lotion Bar's.. Help!  (Read 6637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiend
« on: September 19, 2008 03:24:40 AM »

I got a recipe and I tryed it.
It's didn't work out right..I'm not sure what I did wrong.

The recipe was for

1ib of soy wax- I used sunburst soy wax so it wouldn't crumble under the pressure of rubbing on.

1/2 ib Any combination of Oils equal to 1/2 ib.- I used Avocado oil and Shea Butter.

1/2 oz to 1 oz of scent.- I used a little over 1/2 oz

My bar's turned out pretty and they smell yummy but they seem a little hard and also the don't feel like they have any oil. It feels like rubbing something hard against your skin. grrrrr

So, I want to know how to fix it to make it a little softer and have it have more oil so it will feel like it's really lotioning up the hands  Grin

I'm not sure if I just didn't do it right or because it was my first time or..I just didn't relize if I did make an error.

I put in the soy wax, Avocado oil, and Shea Butter. I let it melt down. I made my own double boiler..just put a huge pot down first with a bit of water and added a pot on top. Once it was melted down..I put in my oil and put it off the burner and stirred it. I was worried about not over heating because I heard if you over heat soy lotion bar's you will see craters in the finished product.

Help! Any help or advice would be great.

Also..
Since I now have soy wax, avocado oil, and shea butter... what are other things can I do with these ingredients? I know I might need a few more ingredients but I've never worked with soy..so I have no idea what it all can be used for.

My first try with making beauty products with it Wink

Thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 03:41:12 AM by fiend » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 03:46:33 AM »

Hi hon! That recipe seems like it is a little high in ratio of wax to oils. I think if you re-melt it and add more oils and remold it you will like the finished product better. You want it to be hard enough to hold its shape and not be smushy, but it needs to begin to melt into the skin on contact. It can be tricky to get the right balance, but keep trying and write everything down so you can replicate it when it's finally how you like it!

I haven't worked with soy wax, only beeswax, and I think that soy wax is softer so you would use more soy wax than beeswax, but in my recipe for lotion bars I use about 25% beeswax, 50% solid butter, and 25% liquid oils.  (I usually do 30% shea and 20% cocoa, 15% sunflower and 10% avocado or olive to further break it down). Avocado oil and shea butter sound really nice, it should be a great moisturizing bar! If you want to list the percentages of avocado and shea I could maybe give a guess on how much more oils/butters to add, or you can just play around with it until it feels good! I also usually like to add cocoa butter to my lotion bars, I just like the texture in the finished product. Just curious--did you put them in a mold or a twist up tube?

Those are some great base ingredients to have on hand! You can make a whipped shea butter with the shea and avocado oil, a regular body butter, solid perfume, balms, scrubs, lip balms (might be a little better with cocoa butter too). A short hop and a jump to making lotions (will need a preservative and emulsifier like emulsifiying wax, and maybe a thickener like palm stearic (stearic acid). Let me know if you want specific recipes for anything!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 03:48:12 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
fiend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 04:00:13 AM »

Thanks so much for your advice! Smiley

I'm really bad at breaking down formula's  Grin

I used 1/4 of shea butter and 1/4 of Avocado oil. I used a dry measuring cup for the shea butter and a liquid measuring cup for the Avocado oil.

I've put all of my soy lotion bar's in a zip lock bag so I could try to correct my mistakes when I wake up in the am.

As for what I used to mold them..
I bought a 24 mini cupcake pan so I could easily put them in 2 oz tin's. Smiley
I ended up with 24 mini lotion bar's and two soap mold size bar's.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 04:03:20 AM by fiend » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008 04:22:31 AM »

Mini muffin tins are great molds!

Most recipes for bath and body stuff is in weight, so if you have a kitchen scale or can get your hands on a little digital scale that would be even better. Different things have different weights than their liquid measurements, so it's important for accuracy. I dearly wish there were not both a liquid ounce and an ounce by weight! The only thing that measures the same in a liquid ounce and a weighed ounce is water.

So it looks like so far your recipe is this, approximately:

25% avocado oil= 4 oz
25% shea butter = 4 oz
50% wax = 8 oz

I think it would be easiest for experimenting, and not to waste ingredients because this could end up as a very big batch, to cut this batch in half. Set half aside and re-melt half of it. So you will be playing with:

25% avocado oil= 2 oz
25% shea butter = 2 oz
50% wax =4 oz

You want it to be approximately

25% avocado oil
50% shea butter
25% wax

so if we take what you already have

2 avocado oil
2 shea butter
4 wax

and re-figure the new recipe to make the wax be 25%  {4 divided by .25= 16} then the new recipe needs to be (yikes) 16 oz

2 avocado oil (25%) total 4
2 shea butter (50%) total 8
4 wax (25%) total 4

2 avocado oil +2 = 4
2 shea butter +6 =8
4 wax +0 = 4

So you want to add 4 ounces of avocado oil and 6 ounces of shea butter to your half batch. Or you might want to start with less, and try it out, and mold one bar and see how it feels then adjust. But definitely keep track of what you add! Also remember I was basing this on my experience with beeswax, so maybe just start off with a little less and see if you want to build up to that amount, I don't think soywax is as hard as beeswax.

I hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 04:25:20 AM by MareMare - Reason: messed up calculations » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stasiia
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008 12:48:33 PM »

Do you think there is any issue with using straight cocoa butter with fragrance or essential oil?
do you have an easy recipe for whipped shea butter or solid perfume, etc? thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 05:53:15 PM »

Straight cocoa butter is very hard, it might be too hard to rub on if you only added fragrance.

For whipped shea I do about 80% shea butter and 20% liquid oil. I prefer sunflower oil but whatever you have is fine. Whip the crap out if with a hand mixer (a stand mixer is better, but I don't have one ), add a little vitamin E oil if you have it and a fragrance or essential oil and you're good to go!

For solid perfume you can start with a lotion bar recipe, but up the solid butters and beeswax. Play around with it until you get the correct consistency/hardness that you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stasiia
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 02:06:47 PM »

yeah, cocoa butter actually melts to body temp, so i was wondering why people dont just use it straight, but i suppose it is probably more expensive than when mixing it with oils.. and not quite as soft.

How long does the shea butter last before going rancid? probably awhile as long as water is not introduced, correct? how much vit e do you add. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 06:42:15 PM »

hmm, my cocoa butter is extrememly hard and doesn't melt easily. Also it's brittle, so it's not a "creamy" texture like other butters.

I guess it depends on how fresh the shea butter is when you buy it? It's hard to know if your supplier has had it a week or a 6 months before you get it. I don't think water has anything to do with rancidity, more to do with the age of the butter and what kind of conditions you are storing it in. A dark cool place is going to be better than somewhere warm. You can definitely tell if it's gone bad by smelling it, so it's not like you won't know. Although it really sucks to go to make something and find out your supplies are bad!  A little vitamin E goes a long way. For a couple pounds of whipped shea I probably add less than half an ounce of vitamin E.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ssplam
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008 07:31:05 AM »

I wanted to work a non beeswax version and couldn't find a recipe I was happy

After a little tweaking this one seems to be ok.

2 oz soy wax flakes
2 oz shea butter
1 oz oil (I used shea nut oil)
after melting...
20 drops of an Organic Lavendar & Tea Tree Oil blend - on the bottle it says "Aroma Essence"

A friend of mine sold me a bar using beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter & almond oil - this is the only item I have to compare it too.

They are about equally hard, mine feels a little bit more oily but I find that a bit easier to smooth onto my skin too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cumin Salad Dressing Recipe
How to Make a Graham Cracker Crust
Hot and Spicy Grill Rub
Montreal Steak Spice Recipe
Cajun Spice Rub Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...