A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gorgeous fat girl vinyl bag!  (Read 4221 times)
Tags for this thread: vinyl , totebag , freehand_embroidery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 19, 2008 12:55:20 AM »

lately i've been thinking about crafting something more political than usual, more like i used to do before i got overwhelmed with swaps! (if you want to read more of my rambling about politics, it's on my blog!)

the amazing and inspirational kittykill works at Portland Women's Crisis line, who recently put on their annual Safety In Numbers gala and auction to end domestic and sexual violence, and i was determined to make something more than my typical cool but un-inspirational stuff to donate.

i really wanted to make something specific to violence against women, but all the ideas i had were distinctly canadian (like the cfs no means no campaign, or a memorial of December 6th, 1989 Montreal Massacre). since people in the US probably didn't grow up with the distinctive purple and black stickers (no means no campaign), or with 14 red roses on december 6th (memorial of the 14 women murdered), they probably wouldn't know what the hell the piece was about! so i decided to go with a more general issue that affects so many folks, body image and fat positivity.

and now that i've rambled for sooooo long, i'll actually show you what i made!

unfortunately, it photographed TERRIBLY. i ask myself regularly "amy, why do you work so much with a material that absolutely refuses to photograph nicely? Roll Eyes" and then i think "because it's vinyl, and i adore my vinyl-y goodness, and that's really all the answer i need! Wink"

so i will show you the blurriest picture first, because it actually shows the image the best!

the bag is made of vintage deadstock vinyl that's textured (hence the worse pictures than usual!), with an image of a fat woman reclining in a bikini freehand machine embroidered on the front in this awesome variegated thread that alwaysinmyroom sent me.(her boobs on are the right, and her thighs are on the left. hopefully you can see it!) the backside has the word "gorgeous" embroidered the same way as the image on the front. the bag has 21" straps, so that anyone can carry it (i hope! it's still MUCH better than purchased totes that don't fit around your arm!), and is lined with teal blue cotton fabric. the inside has two pockets, both made of vinyl. the larger one is zippered (vintage deadstock metal zipper) with the word "fat" freehand machine embroidered on it. the second pocket is smaller, sewn to hold pens. one portion of the pocket is larger, so it would fit a sharpie or something like that.

front

inside

side

back

detail
all the topstitching was done with the same variegated thread used for the embroidery

oh, and i ordered a full set of Figure 8 zines to be included with it, and had them sent to kittykill's house.

i love it. i was sad to mail it away! i hope it inspires you!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008 09:36:18 AM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 01:03:02 AM »

That is unreal!!!!  *picks jaw up from ground* What an amazing image AND the fact you captured it so well with the varigated thread!!!  Fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 01:27:05 AM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008 01:30:37 AM »

thank you both!

i think for future ones i'll just use the variegated thread on solid coloured vinyl though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
autommatic
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008 04:42:36 AM »

this bag is unbelieveable! absolutely amazing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008 04:55:45 AM »

I love it, except the inside pocket saying "FAT".

As a larger person, I feel FAT is an "F" word!
JMO

You did a great job on it, specially the side with the woman on it. Id love to see more of you work- keep it coming!

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008 05:46:49 AM »

Beautiful!  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Kaethe
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008 07:46:34 AM »

I love the colors of the thread and think the design is lovely. But I agree with Cealy, as a full figure gal, I find the word fat offensive, again my opinion. Your work is truly lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008 08:00:15 AM »

amazing. love the image... cause its big but its not in your face a bigger gal, abstract i guess...

as for fat. im down with that....  i know you didnt mean it in a derogatory sense... 

i need to get to working with vinyl. you so inspire me....   a goddess of vinyl...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008 09:38:40 AM »

Love it!!!!!   Took me a few glances to get the woman, but that just means it's subtle!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Salted Caramel Macarons
How to Make Rose Water Macarons
KD101: Chocolate Fondue Recipe
How To Make a Mini King Cake
How to Make a Malteaser Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...