A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sublime stitching digitized!! (and a freebie!)  (Read 4157 times)
Tags for this thread: sublime_stitching , digitizing , deer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 18, 2008 11:26:51 PM »

okay, so maybe these aren't actually a completed project.... but they're completed designs, so i'm posting them here anyway, cause i'm super excited, and i don't want to wait until i've used them on stuff to post! Wink

a few weeks ago i got the PE Design Lite. i had to order it, and then wait impatiently for it to arrive (patience is not my strong suit!) i was just going to buy the PED Basic so that i could download patterns, but it's been discontinued in canada, and the woman at my brother dealer totally convinced me that the PE Design Lite was worth it to be able to make my own simple designs. she was so right!

after playing around a bit, i used it to digitize Sublime Stitching patterns for machine embroidery, and while some of the results weren't as good as i'd hoped (i don't know if it's me or what, i'm obviously still learning Undecided), some of them turned out awesome! i was having some problems with the software, because i'm basically a computer idiot, but a friend gave me some tips on how to adjust the images in photoshop (i found the "stroke" option, and my paint bucket isn't hiding anymore! wahoo!), so i'm getting a lot better results. my first ones were MUCH worse than these! Cheesy

from the black apple pattern set
outline only

(i obviously forgot to trim that thread before i scanned it!)
coloured in

(there's entirely too much space between the outline and the colour, they should be butting up against each other. i don't know how to fix that. and i messed up and set the shirt and the hair to embroider in fill stitch, which i don't like as much as satin stitch, especially for the hair, because i think it looks like he has a buzz cut!)

outline only

coloured in

(i don't feel like the colour is consistent - like it's not filled in enough. i don't know. i think there's a way to adjust that, i just haven't figured it out yet!)

from the forest friends pattern set
outline only hedgie

(i did this one before i figured out how to change the stroke size in photoshop, and i think the outline is a bit too narrow. he'd pop a lot more if the lines were a bit thicker i think)

outline only deer

deer with some colouring

(crappy scan, i'm sorry! the scanner hates the khaki brown i used. but the colour matches up with the outlines really good in this one!)

from the sexy librarians pattern set
glasses

typewriter

(look at all that white space between the colour and the border! argh! and i cut one of the pink satin stitched threads while trimming the black threads! whoops! i'm going to go back and edit the pattern so that the keys of the typewriter are sewn first, then i can stop and cut all those threads BEFORE the body of the typewriter is embroidered!)

from the vital organs set

(i love love love this one!)

and this one's not from a sublime stitching pattern, it was a freebie i downloaded online. it's designed to be embroidered with a much heavier thread, so it doesn't cover as well, but i like the design. i don't know anything at all about embroidering with wool, like this design called for, it's something else to look into!

i'm having fun! i need to find the rest of my sublime stitching patterns (there's a reason why these are all newer designs, that's all i could find!). just as a note - these are not for re-sale or anything like that, and they're based on sublime stitching patterns i purchased. from what i can see on the sublime stitching website, it's A-OK to do this! i've been trying to use clipart as well, but scanning the images seems to work better. any tips or tricks or feedback would be much appreciated! thanks!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008 11:29:08 PM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
onebutrfli
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 04:21:16 AM »

I have had my eyes one machine embroidery machines for a few years now but the cost!!! OUCH!!!! After seeing what you were able to do with the Brother SE 350 and the reachable price in the Master Crafster thing and now this I'm sold! That will be my Christmas present! Thanks for sharing your experiences and the wonderful things that you have come up with here! They are awesome! I especially like the crow and think that the lightness of the thread adds something to it!
I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 11:31:01 AM »

You are really on a roll there with the digitizing.  I have Embird and have yet to really do things to the degree that you have done. Okay.  I also admit that time has not been my best friend since I actually bought Embird so I haven't really played with it much either.  I wonder if Embird has a pull it in to photoshop and spit out a design file more or less - that would be awesome.

I am also in the market for a new embroidery machine but I am going for hoop size this time.  5x7 doesn't cut the cake anymore.  I have hoop envy and want the 6x10 hoop... sooooo.  I have  been looking..
onebutrfli when you go to look for a machine make sure you look at your largest hoop size. If it only does a 4x4, walk away - quickly.  You will not be happy with it for long and then you will kick yourself that you didn't spend just a hair more to get at least a 5x7.  I am regretting not getting one that did the 6x10 right off the bat.  Now I will have spent A LOT more in the end. Cry

Loving the vital organ you got there crafty_dame.  It is my favorite by far!  I did digitize some skeleton bones though. They came out really nice... too many things I want to do.. .so little time! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
craftydame

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 11:57:43 PM »

onebutrfli, i'm really loving it! i've been neglecting all other crafting since i got it (my rubber stamps are lonely! Wink) i'm so glad you've liked everything and we've inspired you with this campaign!

craftydeb, seriously, this is ALL i've done since i got the software! no other crafting, no other embroidery, just the digitizing! i kinda got a bit obsessed for a few days! i'm really curious about embird, i've seen you mention it in other posts. i should mention that PE Design Lite doesn't have a "pull in" to photoshop - i edited the images in photoshop, saved them, and then opened them in PE Design Lite just like you would with any other image you wanted to digitize. i tried digitizing some images directly from the internet, and they failed miserably!   

i think that the SE-350, though it only does the 4x4 hoop size, is a really good starter machine. if it was closer in price to the machines that do the larger hoops, i would totally agree with you craftydeb, but it's so much more affordable! i'm really enjoying the 4x4, and it's giving me a feel for machine embroidery, and letting me decide if i like it enough to invest in a machine with the larger hoop size. if you decide that you're not really enjoying it (or can't afford it, it's a pricey hobby!), the price of the larger hoop machines is a lot more to swallow as an "experience", if you know what i mean!

it also depends on what you want to do - 4x4 fits my needs for now. i'm honestly not into any of the "in the hoop" projects i've seen, they're not my style at all, and i don't like the look of large embroidery on clothing, etc. there are some designs i've seen that use a 5x7 hoop that i really like, but the women at my dealer said that it's really easy to downsize them to fit my hoop anyway (i've yet to actually try it!), so basically, i don't really feel a need for a larger hoop size. if i decide later that i need it, i'll look into it then.

the heart's my favourite too! the heart and the typewriter! the heart's going to go on a baby bib i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandaRenee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 07:19:28 AM »

I am loving the deer.  So many things I could put that on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
craftydame

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008 02:03:36 PM »

that was actually a main reason why i bought that pattern - i love that deer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amarok
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008 12:02:50 AM »

yo! i'm sooo happy that i finally found this "machine embroidery"-part of craftster! i feel i found home.. *happy* well, seriously. i'm just beginning to get a grip of my programme - i've bought it like over six months ago and it's still a major mystery to me. so don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. sooner than me, if you have any patience. which you already wrote you don't have... Wink i made few designs and then got really annoyed with the programme and now i'm starting to use it more again (well, there was this 3 month period i COULDN'T use it, because my machine was broken Sad )

anyways. i have husqvarna viking-machine and the 4D embroidery system -programme to go with that. i love that you wrote so much about your doings, but i would still love to hear more. and maybe some screenshots of the programme you're using? last night i made flames with the 4D embroidery system, and here is a picture of the embroidery on the computer: http://kuutaika.com/kirjonta/liekkeja.jpg

i was just wondering.. i like to do the big color areas BEFORE the border-lines, to avoid those "white areas" between the border and the color... how are you doing it? well, it is a learning progress. where did you buy the programme? i bought mine from a shop that sells all sewing and embroidery stuff, as well as sergers and sewing&embroidery machines. so the shop keeper showed me how to use the programme first, then i decided to buy it and now when ever i have ANY questions i can call and ask or e-mail her. i COULD even go there, but unfortunately i moved and now the shop is 135km away.. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 04:45:49 AM »

I'm just catching up with this...it's wild what you can do with that machine! I think the patterns translate over to machine embroidery really well. Love the deer!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips for Reducing Stress
Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted by Jennifer Armstrong
Grand Ambition by Bruce Knecht
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...