A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crystal Candlesticks  (Read 1993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olga
« on: September 18, 2008 04:08:15 PM »

After seeing the yard totems http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=120848.0 here on craftster, I wanted to make something similar. I bought lots of crystal plates and vases from the thrift shop and made candle holders.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008 04:34:28 PM by olga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brynns Mom
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008 04:26:30 PM »

these are very cool!  I'm going to have to try these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lnm130
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008 05:49:04 PM »

holy moly I love the look of these! What did you use to hold them together? I know the original post said that they used indoor/outdoor caulking. These are great and I am getting my own place sometime soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olga
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008 06:34:51 PM »

Thanks guys,

To answer your question Inm130 - I used this glue http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html but I think I used the Marine veriety. They sell it at Home Depot. It's held well so far and it's been about half a year since I made these.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008 08:17:45 PM by olga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008 07:04:48 PM »

That link doesn't work for me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
onebutrfli
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008 07:40:26 PM »

I don't claim to be an expert but I have dabbled in antique glass and some of those look like they may be some if not vintage at least. Not worth millions or anything but may be special to a collector if they are in fact NOT repos which they could easily be.(biting my tongue)
Man I'm the grim reaper! Sorry I couldn't help myself as we have a house full of it!
Your crystal towers of light and beauty are wonderful and creative and I meant no offense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olga
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008 08:36:56 PM »

Blushingbluegrass - you're right, the link wasn't working, I changed it.

onebutrfli - No offense taken. I absolutely know nothing of vintage glass, so it's definitely possible that some of this is vintage, but I have no way to know that. I'm not a glass collector, so just have to go by what I see and I just didn't feel like any of these vases and cups were anything to write home about, so didn't feel too bad using them in such a way. But to ease your heart a little, most of them had stickers on the bottoms, Made In China.

You know, this topic has come up many times on many different blogs, should we as crafty people use old/vintage/antique things for our current needs? In many cases I can agree that it would almost be a sin, but in other smaller cases I feel like we're giving a life to things that would otherwise have gone to the trash heap. I didn't take these glasses from my grandma's age-old collection of treasures, I just bought them from the thrift store where they were rotting away. I don't have the time to meticulously study antiques (although I would like to), but I guess I don't want to be afraid of using something just because I don't know 100% of it's history. In my mind, these objects, if not found by an avid collector (which is probably rare), would end up useless, sitting on some shelf until it's finaly thrown on the trash heap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

onebutrfli
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008 08:58:03 PM »

You're completely right.
I guess I have become one of thise collectors, my apologies. And like I said before I think that your Crytal candlesticks are beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olga
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008 10:40:27 PM »

Thank you for your kind comments onebutrfli
And I'm so glad there are people out there like yourself, who are knowledgeable enough to rescue what you can from anonymity, and save it for posterity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanielSmith
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008 08:31:46 PM »

Wow!.... those are beautiful! What a crafty idea Wink(wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Julie Henderson Shows Off Her New Bikini Line
Rita Ora Swaps Jobs With Cara Delevingne For DKNY
How to Clean White Shoes
Rihanna Wins Battle Against Topshop
5 Fashion Items Worth the Splurge
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...