A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Versatility for Crochet?  (Read 4924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DragonessD
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008 05:12:16 PM »

Okay, so .. I went and bought yarn - Bernat's Softee Chunky ... hope it's bulky enough. 4 skeins, so about 600 yards. And if that's not enough, all the skeins they had in this color had the same dye lot. Had to check  Wink The biggest hook I could find was a 9mm, but I should be able to make that work!

On the plus side, my wrist rest at work is 18" long, so ... 2 or 3 stitches more than that, and I should be good for width. This works, cuz I can't find my measuring tape. I figure when it's a little longer than I am tall (5'4") then it'll be done.

I'm so excited! This is gonna be awesome! And a lovely moss green so it'll go with most everything I wear right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonessD
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008 04:50:42 AM »

Oh, and let me make sure I understand right. Around the cabled section, it's now mesh, bobbles, DC, CH1, DC, then the cables. Right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008 06:36:21 AM »

Oh, and let me make sure I understand right. Around the cabled section, it's now mesh, bobbles, DC, CH1, DC, then the cables. Right?

Exactly!  It just didn't work to have the ch1 right next to the fpdc. 

I'm so happy someone else is doing this.  I still didn't take any pictures last night, but I definitely will take some today. The kids will be with their dad after work and I plan on pushing the rest of this out today after work.  I'm about to finish up the cable section and have just got the mesh border still to go.   I'm definitely going longer than the 71" suggested in the pattern, because like you I figure it should be a little longer than I am tall and I'm 5'11". 

My biggest quandries right now are 1.  How on earth do I block something this big?  I don't have anywhere to put it.  and 2.  Buttons.  I hope I can find something awesome and vintage, but if not I may end up crafting some from Fimo. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonessD
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008 05:20:20 PM »

Okay, so ... I started ... wasn't crazy about the faux cabling part, so tore it out and tried not one, not two, but three different ways, and ... I'm back to yours. I think my hands were just uncooperative today. Working at home ... I have a cat who ties all my yarn into gordian knots.  Roll Eyes

Got about 2 feet out of one skein, so 4 skeins should leave me plenty.

Buttons ... I saw some cool funky buttons at Wally-world (AKA WalMart), but I've also got a button tin floating around in my closet somewhere from my mother-in-law, so I'm gonna find that and go through it first, see if anything works.

Should be done by Friday, as long as I don't get stupid and tear it out again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008 06:40:22 AM »

I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about the cables when I started either, but the longer it gets the better it looks.  I took some great pictures last night, then came to work to post them (I don't have internet at home) and my work computer won't read my USB drive.  WTF? 

But I'm so close to being done.  although I don't know why I'm rushing.  It's still too warm to even think about wearing it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonessD
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008 05:28:22 PM »

Yeah, I went to take pictures and realized I don't have a single good battery in the apartment that will fit my camera.

And my hands were obviously defective yesterday. I started again with the FP/BP faux cabling, and it looks much better than what I did yesterday. So ... tore it all out, started that part over again, and I've got 3 feet done. Yay! And I'm thinking for buttons ... I've got some shrink plastic around here. I'll just make what I want, and pray I get the holes big enough since the dremel disappeared with the ex-husband.  Cheesy

It's looking good, and I may just give this one to a friend from work who's having some rough times right now. Then I'll make one for me. Grin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 05:37:57 PM by DragonessD » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008 06:20:13 AM »

It's looking good, and I may just give this one to a friend from work who's having some rough times right now. Then I'll make one for me.

That's so sweet.  I showed my progress to a friend who has already commissioned one as her Christmas gift to herself. 

So finally, here are picutres of my progress.  I should've been done already but i've had a splitting headache for the past few days and i've gone to sleep as soon as my kids were asleep. All the crocheting I have left is the mesh border on the end, then of course blocking and buttons.  But I'll probably take a break after blocking to work on Halloween costumes, then return for the buttons. 

This is the whole shebang, with yard stick for size comparison:

A straight ahead shot, you can't see the definition of the faux cables well, but you can see the mesh section better here:

And two nice angled shots to show the texture definition:

Deb, I can't wait to see your progress!  And anyone else who's beeen thinking about doing this, it isn't too late!  It is super easy and fast. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008 06:44:32 AM »

I think this is a brilliant idea.  I will be watching your progress, jealously, as I have neither the patience to crochet something that intricate right now, nor the time
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008 09:35:38 AM »

I've e-mailed you, and I've bookmarked this, and now I'm replying to say I'm going to try to do this for my mom for Christmas. Smiley She'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonessD
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008 07:46:09 PM »

I think this is a brilliant idea.  I will be watching your progress, jealously, as I have neither the patience to crochet something that intricate right now, nor the time

I wasn't sure if I would either, but I was surprised how quickly and easily it came together. Of course, part of that is because Beth is a genius and used easy stitches on her chart.  Grin

If I didn't have such a "helpful" cat at home, I'd be done by now. But as is, I'm plotting out my shrink-plastic buttons tonight, and hopefully I'll be able to sew them on tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 05:18:04 AM by DragonessD » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Making a Scarecrow
Making Scarecrow Arms and Head
How to Make a Scarecrow Lower Body
How to Put a Scarecrow Together
How to Use a Sewing Machine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...